Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Alternative site  (Read 39051 times)

rsh

Re: Alternative site
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
So it could go wildly either way towards Lidl/Aldi or M&S/Waitrose... But if multistory parking were required, couldn't that knock out the budget retailers who'll be looking for a cheap build?

Any ideas where the sorting office would relocate to?

marveld

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
Apparently they've invented this new-fangled car parking system where space is a bit limited. It's called multi-storey, it's new and it might just work

I agree with Duke on the idea of multi-storey parking. If the land is to be sold, then I wouldn't object to an ALDI with adequate 2 storey parking (ground and one additional level). That would give the Co-op a run for its money. The council should ensure any planning permission is dependent on parking spaces not being lost.

Cyberman

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Well said Sleepless - couldn't agree more.

sleepless

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
Duke is right - Marple does not need a big store.  A large supermarket (and it wouldn't just sell food) would close many independent shops in the town and reduce choice for shoppers.  It would also be out of proportion for the needs of Marple residents and would therefore draw in traffic and shoppers from outside the area, causing congestion, pollution and accidents.  It would not benefit the local economy as studies have shown that over 50% of money spent in independent shops is returned to the local economy, as compared with as little as 5% from supermarkets whose money goes to shareholders and corporations.  Jobs would also be lost as a study by the National Retailer Planning Forum found that 276 local jobs were lost for each supermarket which opened, due to loss of local shops and businesses.  Food miles would increase as independent shops tend to source supplies locally, whereas supermarket supplies travel great distances from supply depots.  And if we want to consider the environment, 35% to 40% of all household waste which ends up in landfilll is generated by the big five supermarkets.  If we must have another store there is no justification for a big supermarket on Hibbert Lane.

Dave

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:48 AM »
I don't understand the motivation behind it. If it is part of some anti supermarket on Hibbert Lane masterplan then it has been very badly thought through.

Surely it's just that the council wants to sell the land in order to raise some money. Why look for anything more complicated than that? 

Duke Fame

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with amazon.

If we lose the Chadwick Street car park, the largest public car park in Marple, that is the death knell for the small shops of Marple. They're finished.

The Co-op will be alright as it has its own car park, as will the new supermarket on Hibbert Lane, but the rest are finished.
I agree. I don't understand the motivation behind it. If it is part of some anti supermarket on Hibbert Lane masterplan then it has been very badly thought through.

Apparently they've invented this new-fangled car parking system where space is a bit limited. It's called multi-storey, it's new and it might just work

Henry_

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »

If we lose the Chadwick Street car park, the largest public car park in Marple, that is the death knell for the small shops of Marple. They're finished.

The Co-op will be alright as it has its own car park, as will the new supermarket on Hibbert Lane, but the rest are finished.
I agree. I don't understand the motivation behind it. If it is part of some anti supermarket on Hibbert Lane masterplan then it has been very badly thought through.

Harry

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »

amazon

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
The point is that we don't need a big store, a Lidl sized place will do

:D
We don't need anything only asda or tesco .leave the carparks alone get rid of the parking marple will die .

Dave

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
The point is that we don't need a big store, a Lidl sized place will do

:D

Duke Fame

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
I would love to have an Aldi there. However, there is already an Aldi in 2 neighbouring towns and Stockport, so am not sure they would want another so close? It would be great for those on a budget and also as you can't get everything at Aldi then people would still use the other shops including Co-op. Not as handy as Asda for things like cheap clothes and electrical though.

You're right, Aldi wouldn't open here when they have a place in Romily,  The point is that we don't need a big store, a Lidl sized place will do

JMC

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I would love to have an Aldi there. However, there is already an Aldi in 2 neighbouring towns and Stockport, so am not sure they would want another so close? It would be great for those on a budget and also as you can't get everything at Aldi then people would still use the other shops including Co-op. Not as handy as Asda for things like cheap clothes and electrical though.

Dave

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »
The site might also be big enough for an M&S Simply Food, like the one in Hazel Grove?   (A bit too pricy for a cheapskate like me, tho!   ;))

Duke Fame

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
It might be OK for an Aldi or a Netto, however? 

I believe that all the Netto stores were sold to Asda recently. The "cut-price" supermarkets are Aldi and Lidl. If there is going to be a supermarket on that site then I'd definitely prefer an Aldi.

Quitte right, Sadly Netto UK was bought by Asdas as an immediate small store network. I'd much prefer an Aldi / Lidl to a Waitrose as mooted before. It wouldbe cheaper to dine out every day than shop at Waitrose

Barbara

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
Which bus route would that be then? ???