Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Not another supermarket in the Grove?  (Read 7974 times)

rotten john

Re: Not another supermarket in the Grove?
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
Off topic post overwritten. Please stay on topic. Admin.

amazon

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »
Off topic post overwritten. Please stay on topic. Admin.

marpleexile

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 04:49:56 AM »
as talking about this the other day!  Not something I'd thought of but someone said to me that Tesco isn't a  retailer but a landowner!! They may well buy land in places and build super markets on then, but they are just as likely to buy the land to stop others developing it too!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/migrationtemp/2807681/Tesco-Europes-biggest-property-company.html

That's exactly what they do. It's good business practise for them for a variety of reasons. In the long term, property/land is generally considered to be a good investment, it gives them many potential future sites for stores, and denies those sites to rivals.

In fact, and I'm only half joking when I suggest this, the best way to stop a supermarket development on Hibbert Lane might be to convince one of the rival chains (Co-Op, Sainsbury's, etc) to buy the site as a blocking move.

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 12:14:27 AM »
The row of cottages there plus semi detached properties to one side and the place that sells garden sheds to the other side are in Tesco Sites   MIA have been informed that one person has been offered well above the asking price for their house if the proposals are agreed.    

JMC

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:54:06 PM »
Probably part of the problem for Hazel Grove is that a lot of people from Marple end up shopping there. If its larger neighbouring town had more than one supermarket, it might not be so overrun with them itself.

My wife does quite a bit of shopping at Asda and Aldi in Hazel Grove, usually when passing through and others have commented about the number of people who must drive out of Marple for the big shop whilst still using the smaller shops in Marple for other purchases.  I love the service we get at Harrods, the Paint shop and Hollins DIY to name just a few.

A supermarket in Marple would just save us a drive but I don't think we would stop using the smaller shops too.

I agree too.

Henry_

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
Probably part of the problem for Hazel Grove is that a lot of people from Marple end up shopping there. If its larger neighbouring town had more than one supermarket, it might not be so overrun with them itself.

My wife does quite a bit of shopping at Asda and Aldi in Hazel Grove, usually when passing through and others have commented about the number of people who must drive out of Marple for the big shop whilst still using the smaller shops in Marple for other purchases.  I love the service we get at Harrods, the Paint shop and Hollins DIY to name just a few.

A supermarket in Marple would just save us a drive but I don't think we would stop using the smaller shops too.

Great post. Agree 100%. Harrods is my favourite shop in Marple, the service is superb.

thebigshed

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
as talking about this the other day!  Not something I'd thought of but someone said to me that Tesco isn't a  retailer but a landowner!! They may well buy land in places and build super markets on then, but they are just as likely to buy the land to stop others developing it too!

I also heard similar to Tina.

tina

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
I did over hear a conversation at weekend, that Tesco's own the houses near where the mcdonalds is? But planning was refused?... I could be completley wrong but I'm more than sure thats what I heard?

rsh

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
MIA has been informed of plans by Tesco to purchase houses opposite the Bulls Head in Hazel Grove   Not another set of traffic lights , now really how many supermarkets does one town need.   I think I will become a Breaking News reporter  ;D

I should have said purchase houses not compulsory purchase houses  the residents have already had offers made !

Miss Marple

Not another supermarket in the Grove?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »
MIA has been informed of plans by Tesco to compulsory purchase houses opposite the Bulls Head in Hazel Grove   Not another set of traffic lights , now really how many supermarkets does one town need.   I think I will become a Breaking News reporter  ;D