Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 96781 times)

Henry_

Re: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
Oh yes that's better and gives a clear message ! 

Thanks, it was especially for you and Belle Star actually! See, we do listen ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
Oh yes that's better and gives a clear message ! 

Henry_

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »
Following big demand (especially from those who loved our old posters so much they took them down to take home with them) here is the Yes campaign's new poster . . .

drumroll . . .

http://www.facebook.com/yesmarple#!/photo.php?fbid=274784275876971&set=a.258207964201269.64152.256280167727382&type=1&theater

Marplenewbie

« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Hollins

perhaps you are right about outsiders not interfering in the affairs of other towns and places. I may be persuaded to adopt this point of view if I saw that others were no longer involving themselves in and making decisions about our "daily life" in Marple. Outsiders such as:

- The Board of Directors of Asda, Tesco or whatever supermarket may be planning to develop Hibbert Lane.
- Walsingham Planning who are working with Stockport MBC and whoever to overcome " planning problems".
- Christina Cassidy and other members of the managment team at the college who don't live in the area.
- Stockport Councillors and officials who don't live in or represent Marple.

Excellent post, moorendman.

moorendman

« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
Hollins

perhaps you are right about outsiders not interfering in the affairs of other towns and places. I may be persuaded to adopt this point of view if I saw that others were no longer involving themselves in and making decisions about our "daily life" in Marple. Outsiders such as:

- The Board of Directors of Asda, Tesco or whatever supermarket may be planning to develop Hibbert Lane.
- Walsingham Planning who are working with Stockport MBC and whoever to overcome " planning problems".
- Christina Cassidy and other members of the managment team at the college who don't live in the area.
- Stockport Councillors and officials who don't live in or represent Marple.

Miss Marple

« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »
lol lol   :D. The people who I am speaking about came on a barge and LOVED our local shops.  The others came from Hyde on the bus and Ashton and guess what they Loved our local shops.  Oh I can see I am going to have to stop partying and get home earlier to join in this debate lol !

Personal remarks have been removed from this post. Admin

sooty2

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:37 PM »
What's been a real eye opener for me whilst collecting signatures in Marple is the amount of elderly people who make full use of their bus passes and come to Marple from Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde Mossley, New Mills and countless other places to shop in our local shops because as most of them say they no longer have independent shops such as ours due to large supermarkets moving into their area.

A bit galling that people who (a) don't live in Marple; (b) have the time to saunter round the small shops at leisure during the day should be signing a petition opposing the wishes of many who DO live in Marple and who work all day, only to come home and find that the only shop open is the Co-op.

I can't imagine interfering with the development of Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde, New Mills etc - their daily life is none of my business. I'm slightly irritated that they should be signing petitions about development in Marple.

The above towns also Blakely,Harperhey,Abbey hey and Salford. Were given in response to market research. I have no idea wether they signed the petition ::)

tina

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
Over-reaction to earlier post overwritten. Subsequent post quoting this one removed. Admin

hollins

« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2011, 09:24:34 PM »
I think, Moorendman, that you miss the point - you may believe that it is reasonable that you might interfere in Ashton or Glossop - I don't.

Of course the residents of Mellor, Strines and Compstall shop locally - that is why there are so many shops left in those places.

moorendman

« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:27 PM »
Ah I see, there should be a qualifier on the petition then:

" By signing this petition , you hereby confirm the following:

1. I am in full time employment and not just an idle pensioner using my free bus pass to incite trouble in small towns
2. I am a resident of Marple (not Mellor, High Lane, Strines or Compstall either)
3. I would only ever sign any petitions that relate to exactly the area I live in and no more "

What nonsense

Perhaps the fact that they are coming to Marple tells us something about the quality of life here.

hollins

« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
What's been a real eye opener for me whilst collecting signatures in Marple is the amount of elderly people who make full use of their bus passes and come to Marple from Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde Mossley, New Mills and countless other places to shop in our local shops because as most of them say they no longer have independent shops such as ours due to large supermarkets moving into their area.

A bit galling that people who (a) don't live in Marple; (b) have the time to saunter round the small shops at leisure during the day should be signing a petition opposing the wishes of many who DO live in Marple and who work all day, only to come home and find that the only shop open is the Co-op.

I can't imagine interfering with the development of Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde, New Mills etc - their daily life is none of my business. I'm slightly irritated that they should be signing petitions about development in Marple.

Dave

« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Come on Mrs O, pull the other one!  People are driving from Harpurhey to Marple just to do their shopping.....?  ;D ;D ;D

sooty2

« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
They don't all come by bus obviously,some come by car and train.Blakely,Harperhey,Abbey hey and Salford. I have a long list in my research. Want anymore??

amazon

« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
What's been a real eye opener for me whilst collecting signatures in Marple is the amount of elderly people who make full use of their bus passes and come to Marple from Ashton, Denton, Gloss op, Hyde Mosley, New Mills and countless other places to shop in our local shops because as most of them say they no longer have independent shops such as ours due to large supermarkets moving into their area.
Going back to what I said about Age UK they also offer a local shop service for people who can not get out to undertake their own shopping
  Many local elderly people have their meat from the local butcher, bread from the bakers and the like so there is also a service whereby they can employ an agency to shop for them if they can not get to the shops. Via Direct Payments or via a Community Care Assessment all needs led but the provision is there.
Sorry  not having this one to get from by bus .denton three buses about hour tree quarters   Mosley at least two ashton two buss es . why they should come all that way for when they have better shops than we do .

Dave

« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
I agree.  And no doubt even more will come when we have a decent supermarket.  And of course, Marple residents will at last shop in Marple instead of going somewhere else.  Who knows, we might even end up with as good a selection of independent shops as Glossop!   :)