A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 96759 times)

Rachael

Re: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
I have no intention to buy a house in the future. Obviously i can understand why the people along Hibbert Lane would be worried but it would not change my opinion. I'm obviously going to worry more about the fact that i am on a low income, paying off a load of debts and struggling to feed myself once i have given my daughter everything she needs rather than worrying about the neighbours losing out on money. I have to think about my family, and my family is happy weather there is a supermarket across the road or not.

I'm not going to but lets just say i did buy my council house, I would be paying the money to live here, i wouldn't want to sell up just because of a supermarket because once i am in my garden or my house then it has no effect on me.

I do understand the points you make, and I agree with some of them , but often people do not sell their houses out of choice, they have to sell up  because of job losses , family break ups  , financial crisis etc .  If my husband lost his job, we would be up the creek, no doubt about it,  I myself work two jobs , the cost of living has increased, but wages increases do not reflect it .

At first, I honestly didn't mind what was built on the hibbert lane site,  I work in one of the said supermarkets, a transfer to the Marple store,( if it ever gets built ) , I would be in " transfer heaven " , walking distance from my house, no car to run etc, it would be great ..BUT if it was in my back garden , I would hate it, I would be miffed, if the house  we worked hard to pay for,  the value depreciated because of a business that I could pay £ 3.00 for a home delivery for instead from a store a few miles down the road ,  appeared on my doorstep .

You could pay for a home delivery and still have money in your pocket in relation to doing your shop at the co op .

I'm waffling, I do see your point, but if we all look after ourselves , then no one is looking out for eachother in society, and that's a sad thing  * sniff *  :(

JMC

« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
''The people living near Hibbert Lane in my opinion are not just worried about House prices, it is the effect it will have on their general quality of life.''

I live facing the college. I have no reason to be worried about house prices because i am a council tenant and i am not worried about an effect on my quality of life. I would be happy to have a supermarket across the road and feel that it could only improve my life.  It's obvious that many people along Hibbert lane are against it probably due to worrying about the value of their house. But i think more people will benefit from having a supermarket there than the amount of people that will lose value on their homes.

If you were buying a house Sereena, I think you would be in a minority that would choose to buy directly opposite a supermarket by choice ( I may be wrong) , you may be a council tenant at the moment, but in the future, if you wanted to buy your house like many tenants do ,  you may be able to buy it cheaper, but what if you wanted to sell it, had to sell it etc, you may face problems :(  .... ( I'm only speaking as friends and family I know have purchased the houses they rented )

I can see both points of view, Sareena's and the 'home owners'. A few things stand out to me though. Why does a home owner have more importance with concern of their house prices to Sareena's (and other people who live on HL and are YES) worries about low income and need for cheaper more conveinient shopping? Unless you have lived on the breadline, you may not understand this difficulty.

Sareena has as much right as anyone on HL to her views on a supermarket being there. Just because she rents rather than buys doesn't make her views less valid. Sure, she doesn't have the direct worries about negative equity etc. but those people may not have the worries over a low income. Sareena may well buy her home one day so it could affect her potentially just as a current home owner could end up on the breadline struggling to buy a weeks shop in Marple with no car etc.

I personally don't think house prices will be affected hugely. I think they should come down though in general. It's not fair that first time buyers cannot afford a house and people have to leave Marple. I don't think HL prices will go down that much as it is still in Marple and still a popular area. It would be interesting to see if house prices in Glossop etc. were affected by the Tesco or Hazel Grove with Sainsburys.

Sareena

« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »
I have no intention to buy a house in the future. Obviously i can understand why the people along Hibbert Lane would be worried but it would not change my opinion. Im obviously going to worry more about the fact that i am on a low income, paying off a load of debts and struggling to feed myself once i have given my daughter everything she needs rather than worrying about the neighbours losing out on money. I have to think about my family, and my family is happy weather there is a supermarket across the road or not.

I'm not going to but lets just say i did buy my council house, I would be paying the money to live here, i wouldn't want to sell up just because of a supermarket because once i am in my garden or my house then it has no effect on me.

Rachael

« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2011, 07:16:16 AM »
''The people living near Hibbert Lane in my opinion are not just worried about House prices, it is the effect it will have on their general quality of life.''

I live facing the college. I have no reason to be worried about house prices because i am a council tenant and i am not worried about an effect on my quality of life. I would be happy to have a supermarket across the road and feel that it could only improve my life.  It's obvious that many people along Hibbert lane are against it probably due to worrying about the value of their house. But i think more people will benefit from having a supermarket there than the amount of people that will lose value on their homes.

If you were buying a house Sereena, I think you would be in a minority that would choose to buy directly opposite a supermarket by choice ( I may be wrong) , you may be a council tenant at the moment, but in the future, if you wanted to buy your house like many tenants do ,  you may be able to buy it cheaper, but what if you wanted to sell it, had to sell it etc, you may face problems :(  .... ( I'm only speaking as friends and family I know have purchased the houses they rented )

I'm lucky, I have fields at the back of my house , and its a great selling point,  but I know one of the houses up for sale  on my road, the house is now up for either the same or less than they paid for it  a few years back  , the housing market is struggling ,  I would assume if a Tesco was on schedule to  appeared at the back of my house,  it would be really grim news for the owner selling their house :(

Howard

« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
Post overwritten. Admin

Martyn, seriously, what was the point in that? Direct or indirect, there's no call for abuse. Either play nicely or go home.

Sareena

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Post overwritten as previous post to which it refers has been overwritten too. Admin

Please follow the guidelines explained here in future:
http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3741.0

Bulky

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Post overwritten. Admin

Sareena

« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »

jethroh65

« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
I'm no MIA supporter (far from it!), but surely jethroh63 is right here - properties in the immediate vicinity of the Hibbert Lane campus (e.g. opposite on Hibbert Lane, or backing on to the site on Mount Drive) are likely to be more difficult to sell, and therefore vendors will probably have to drop the price (even more than everyone does at the moment  :'(

However, properties a bit further up Hibbert Lane (Woodville Drive area, for example) may benefit, as potential  buyers realise how convenient (and economical) it would be to be so close to a decent supermarket. 
It is often stated in Estate Agent language 'close to local shops and amenities'. I personally have never seen house details which say 'just around the corner from a large supermarket and busy road junction'. But I am not an estate agent !!

jethroh65

« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »
It may not be rocket science, but it is NIMBYism. MIA can do better than that.
I'm not involved in the MIA, it is my view alone. Nothing to do with 'NIMBYism' it was in response to your comments about
House prices.

I am sure that you living on Elmfield Drive would have a different view if the Rose Hill site had not been selected as the site for the
new Primary School. For example if the council had decided to build the new school at the Peacefield Site and sell off the land at Rose Hill to Tesco's or Asda would you share the same view ?

You should have some empathy for the people who live near the proposed new supermarket and will be affected by this proposed supermarket and associated traffic etc etc.

The people living near Hibbert Lane in my opinion are not just worried about House prices, it is the effect it will have on their general quality of life.

JMC

« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
Good points above from both HWL1973 and Dave.

I personally think house prices should come down in general but that is another debate. I know lots of people brought up in Marple who have had to move away but wanted to stay here. Houses should be places to live primarily and not investments; which is what has become to the detriment of many people.

But, I understand it must be a difficult prospect living in the vicinity of Hibbert Lane and facing possible negative equity etc. I can't help but think, though, this same issue, perhaps to a lesser extent, would apply if a supermarket was built on Chadwick Street; would those people (HL) object then or think, 'as long as it is not in my back yard'.

Dave

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »
I'm no MIA supporter (far from it!), but surely jethroh63 is right here - properties in the immediate vicinity of the Hibbert Lane campus (e.g. opposite on Hibbert Lane, or backing on to the site on Mount Drive) are likely to be more difficult to sell, and therefore vendors will probably have to drop the price (even more than everyone does at the moment  :'(

However, properties a bit further up Hibbert Lane (Woodville Drive area, for example) may benefit, as potential  buyers realise how convenient (and economical) it would be to be so close to a decent supermarket. 

Henry_

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2011, 08:17:35 AM »
It may not be rocket science, but it is NIMBYism. MIA can do better than that.

jethroh65

« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
This house devaluation issue. It puzzles me as it is usually the last resort of a Daily Mail reader. The next logical step would be for someone to argue that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would encourage illegal immigrants  ???

My quandary is this. Many people arguing against a supermarket want affordable housing in Marple instead. If a supermarket delivers this by other means is this not a good thing? Or is it a case of affordable housing being good unless it is my house that is rendered affordable, in which case it is bad?

The truth is actually that house prices are going nowhere (at best) for around 5 years according to most people in the know. Any supermarket in Marple would do very little to change that overall trend. We should of course all be rejoicing at this.
Scenario 1 - You go look at a house on a Sunday, the house is opposite a college which is closed on a Sunday, just occasional passing traffic can be heard. An open view over a empty car park & playing field with a church high up in the Background can be seen from the house.

Scenario 2 - You go to look at a house on a Sunday, when you get close to the house you get stuck in traffic. Upon arrival at the house you realise it is opposite a large Supermarket, next to a busy set of traffic  lights. The view from the house is of a full car park and against the backdrop of Supermarket constructed from Breeze block & Grey cladding.

Which scenario would be the most appealing to a prospective house buyer ?

As they say Location! Location! Location!

Have many who were thinking about buying a house in Marple been put off because there was no Asda or Tesco?

I'm impressed that you have seen the plans for the new supermarket Jethro. Please link us all up.
Okay it maybe it will be designed by Norman Foster, but whatever the design it will still be a busy big supermarket with all the associated traffic, infrastructure weekend and late night openings etc.
So basically it would put people off buying a house in the vicinity and hence reduce house prices.
It's not rocket science!!

Henry_

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
This house devaluation issue. It puzzles me as it is usually the last resort of a Daily Mail reader. The next logical step would be for someone to argue that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would encourage illegal immigrants  ???

My quandary is this. Many people arguing against a supermarket want affordable housing in Marple instead. If a supermarket delivers this by other means is this not a good thing? Or is it a case of affordable housing being good unless it is my house that is rendered affordable, in which case it is bad?

The truth is actually that house prices are going nowhere (at best) for around 5 years according to most people in the know. Any supermarket in Marple would do very little to change that overall trend. We should of course all be rejoicing at this.
Scenario 1 - You go look at a house on a Sunday, the house is opposite a college which is closed on a Sunday, just occasional passing traffic can be heard. An open view over a empty car park & playing field with a church high up in the Background can be seen from the house.

Scenario 2 - You go to look at a house on a Sunday, when you get close to the house you get stuck in traffic. Upon arrival at the house you realise it is opposite a large Supermarket, next to a busy set of traffic  lights. The view from the house is of a full car park and against the backdrop of Supermarket constructed from Breeze block & Grey cladding.

Which scenario would be the most appealing to a prospective house buyer ?

As they say Location! Location! Location!

Have many who were thinking about buying a house in Marple been put off because there was no Asda or Tesco?

I'm impressed that you have seen the plans for the new supermarket Jethro. Please link us all up.