Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 96755 times)

Maria

Re: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »
Thanks for posting that, HWL1973, very interesting. I am on the fence on this still. I was initially vaguely against but then became abit of a skeptic. There are alot of people 'on the fence' and also alot of people too scared to say they want a supermarket as they don't want to look like 'the bad guy' to their friends who are shopkeepers or big in MIA.

Reasons for slightly being against it for me is traffic and worries about local shops (howevere, I think it is more wider social changes that add to this and the shops seem to be closing anyway even without a Tesco/Asda). BUT I fully understand the need for a cheaper shop in marple where you can buy everything (not everyone can nip to stockport for a kettle, toaster etc and there are things you cannot get in Marple) which makes me vaguely for it, we struggled alot before we had a car/online shopping.

We use online shopping with one of the 'big 4'. Most of my friends in Marple do aswell but a few use Aldi or sainsburys in Hazel grove or Asda in hyde. So if everyone who does this changes to going local, would this outweigh the new traffic in? Can anyone give a view on that?

I also am skeptical about those who say it is only on Hibbert lane they are against a supermarket or that it is alright to have a supermarket as long as they don't sell practically everything other than food! I know of a few Tesco stores who got restrictions on pharmacies and clothes but there were many of those stores in the town. Marple has few clothes stores for those on low income so although I think it may restrict on pharmacies-I think it would be able to keep clothes and almost definately newspapers as all supermarkets seem to do them. I like M&Co when there is a sale but can't afford it otherwise as it is expensive. Charity shops are great but it is hit and miss as to what you can find. If you need a school uniform etc. you can't get it without travelling.

I also think it is shortsighted to think residents of chadwick street will want a supermarket there. I am sure the campaign would continue wherever the supermarket went. People on here have said that we don't need a supermarket, we have plenty-the co-op etc. but these people don't seem to be seeing the point of view of those on a low income who don't have cars or the means to do online shopping. When i said it was a struggle to do my shopping in marple-I was told kids can be obese these days (my kids are very slim) as they never walk and that i could easily get the bus (with several children) and go round several shops etc etc. If it was that easy/cost efficient , I would already be doing that.

As for ethics, yes the Co-op is one of the better supermarkets but just shopping there is only one thing on a long list of being ethical. I rarely holiday abroad and there are people who may shop at the co-op but fly on holiday alot or have 2 cars in a family etc etc. Many people use their heating when they could just wear a jumper etc. etc. or drive less than a mile away etc. there are many ways to be ethical, supermarket shopping is just one of them.

Fair comment but the only point I would raise is that the people living close to the post office/Chadwick street presumably bought/rented knowing they were living close to/behind etc the district centre and post office/shops and change of use from one form of retail premises to another is not quite the same as the current situation.  I believe in informed choice and if I bought/rented my house facing a supermarket or shops etc then I could not really have grounds to complain if the shop simply changed hands or went from a post office to say a shoe shop.  I am in no doubt they would however raise issue with the same and I do appreciate that.

The issue here is a college becoming a supermarket.  The Yes campaigners say they do not support a hypermarket or huge store but in reality as I have already said (assuming the sale subject to planning goes ahead) once the land is sold the owners can, if they choose, keep applying for planning permission to extend etc and that is my real fear.  SMBC could choose to continue to oppose the applications but the cost of doing so may prevent them from opposing anything beyong the initial application. 

For the record the above is my view and not the view of anyone else or MIA. 

Henry_

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Some of these replies are confusing due to the problems with the 'Quote' Functionality. As a suggestion, hit 'quote' as normal then select all (Ctrl A on a PC), Cut the tagged quotes out (Ctrl X), type your response, stick the cursor above it and then paste back in the quote (Ctrl V).

Hope this helps

jethroh65

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »

And, for the record, I'm not telling you to move because you disagree with MIA, I'm suggesting that if Marple does not meet your requirements, you have the option of moving to somewhere better suited to you and your family.

All towns and villages change over time though. You could say that if you don't like a supermarket (if it is built) then you will 'have the option to move' if you don't like it.
It's not as simple as just upping sticks. There are houses to sell (if you own one in the first place otherwise you have even less choice), kids schools, family members etc etc. And the main point, just because someone has a difference of opinion to you and other people does not mean they should move, thats way OTT!!! (as I have just said not everyone has the 'option to just move' anyway.

As the the facebook group, I am sure all members have a difference of opinion just as not all MIA members may agree with your comments above (hopefully!). Otherwise they may be seen as also being snobby which I have heard those of the opposing view suggest. There are also many of us still on the fence trying to make our minds up or just waiting and see what will happen.

It is very frustrating that whilst you have quoted my post, you seem not to have understood it! Again, let me say, I am not suggesting anyone moves "because they have a difference of opinion to me". I was suggesting that if someone wants a bigger range of shops than is available to them in Marple, they could choose to live elsewhere if that suited them better. And, whilst we're on the topic of moving, I certainly would consider moving IF Marple became another soulless town with more boarded up shops than thriving ones and the new "heart of the community" located within a supermarket carpark.

The other point here is that this is a forum on the Marple website, not a MIA website, where of course there are differing views. When there is a discussion re suitable new shops on the "Yes" campaign Facebook page between the administrators of said page, then you could be forgiven for thinking that these ideas were part of their overall campaign strategy.

Whilst I do not live in the immediate vicinity of Hibbert Lane and therefore will not be too badly affected by this proposal, it could be argued that I should be saying "Yes". I have no doubt that a large supermarket in Marple would save me money on my grocery shopping and on petrol. However, I do believe it is more important to look at the bigger picture and try to preserve and protect what many of us feel so passionately about i.e. our community and our way of life. I honestly feel that the fact that Marple does not have a huge supermarket or a Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, B&M and other "large town" stores is what sets it apart from other towns of similar size and makes it a bit special. So if I have to spend a couple of pounds more each week to make sure that happens, then I am more than happy to do so.
You may feel that you are happy to spend the extra few quid to leave marple to get cheaper groceries but alot of people in marple do not have that option. this is what we are fighting for. If people saved on their weekly shop they would have more money to spend in marple. People should not be told to move just because they want a supermarket that suits them, some people have lived here their whe lives, some people love marple and feel a supermarket would complete it.

"some people love marple and feel a supermarket would complete it."

A lot of people also feel a supermarket would go towards finishing it and just make it another Identikit suburb!!!

mum_of_2

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2011, 02:39:45 AM »

And, for the record, I'm not telling you to move because you disagree with MIA, I'm suggesting that if Marple does not meet your requirements, you have the option of moving to somewhere better suited to you and your family.

All towns and villages change over time though. You could say that if you don't like a supermarket (if it is built) then you will 'have the option to move' if you don't like it.
It's not as simple as just upping sticks. There are houses to sell (if you own one in the first place otherwise you have even less choice), kids schools, family members etc etc. And the main point, just because someone has a difference of opinion to you and other people does not mean they should move, thats way OTT!!! (as I have just said not everyone has the 'option to just move' anyway.

As the the facebook group, I am sure all members have a difference of opinion just as not all MIA members may agree with your comments above (hopefully!). Otherwise they may be seen as also being snobby which I have heard those of the opposing view suggest. There are also many of us still on the fence trying to make our minds up or just waiting and see what will happen.

It is very frustrating that whilst you have quoted my post, you seem not to have understood it! Again, let me say, I am not suggesting anyone moves "because they have a difference of opinion to me". I was suggesting that if someone wants a bigger range of shops than is available to them in Marple, they could choose to live elsewhere if that suited them better. And, whilst we're on the topic of moving, I certainly would consider moving IF Marple became another soulless town with more boarded up shops than thriving ones and the new "heart of the community" located within a supermarket carpark.

The other point here is that this is a forum on the Marple website, not a MIA website, where of course there are differing views. When there is a discussion re suitable new shops on the "Yes" campaign Facebook page between the administrators of said page, then you could be forgiven for thinking that these ideas were part of their overall campaign strategy.

Whilst I do not live in the immediate vicinity of Hibbert Lane and therefore will not be too badly affected by this proposal, it could be argued that I should be saying "Yes". I have no doubt that a large supermarket in Marple would save me money on my grocery shopping and on petrol. However, I do believe it is more important to look at the bigger picture and try to preserve and protect what many of us feel so passionately about i.e. our community and our way of life. I honestly feel that the fact that Marple does not have a huge supermarket or a Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, B&M and other "large town" stores is what sets it apart from other towns of similar size and makes it a bit special. So if I have to spend a couple of pounds more each week to make sure that happens, then I am more than happy to do so.
You may feel that you are happy to spend the extra few quid to leave marple to get cheaper groceries but alot of people in marple do not have that option. this is what we are fighting for. If people saved on their weekly shop they would have more money to spend in marple. People should not be told to move just because they want a supermarket that suits them, some people have lived here their whe lives, some people love marple and feel a supermarket would complete it.

Miss Marple

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
Having just read through the Yes campaign's Facebook page, I feel I must raise my concerns. How are we supposed to take their campaign seriously when they seem to be advocating other new businesses such as Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, Primark, B&M, Soccer Sports etc. In my opinion, it is the very lack of such low grade, low quality places that makes Marple the special place it is. If all of these businesses were to open, Marple would lose its individual feel and become just another soulless, tacky, clone town. If these are the kinds of shops that the people supporting the Yes campaign really want, I would suggest that they move somewhere where these shops already exist. Why would they choose to live in a town that doesn't cater to their needs? Don't try and change our town just to fit your requirements when there are other places clearly far more su ited to your lifestyle.
It was all tongue in cheek banter SkyGuy. Anyway, in case you've not noticed, Marple already has an Iceland, a Greggs, a Bargain Booze, two bookies, various take aways and a Co-op ;) . All we need is a pawn brokers, a Pound Land and a 24 hour criminal solicitors to complete the set!
I didn't think you lived in MARPLE now  ???

Henry_

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
Having just read through the Yes campaign's Facebook page, I feel I must raise my concerns. How are we supposed to take their campaign seriously when they seem to be advocating other new businesses such as Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, Primark, B&M, Soccer Sports etc. In my opinion, it is the very lack of such low grade, low quality places that makes Marple the special place it is. If all of these businesses were to open, Marple would lose its individual feel and become just another soulless, tacky, clone town. If these are the kinds of shops that the people supporting the Yes campaign really want, I would suggest that they move somewhere where these shops already exist. Why would they choose to live in a town that doesn't cater to their needs? Don't try and change our town just to fit your requirements when there are other places clearly far more suited to your lifestyle.

It was all tongue in cheek banter SkyGuy. Anyway, in case you've not noticed, Marple already has an Iceland, a Greggs, a Bargain Booze, two bookies, various take aways and a Co-op ;) . All we need is a pawn brokers, a Pound Land and a 24 hour criminal solicitors to complete the set!

SkyGuy

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »

Marplenewbie

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
just as a matter of intrest what do you mean MIA members are snobs ?  I keep hearing this quite a look not only on this site but I have been informed that the YES Face Book page makes reference to all MIA members being snobs.  Can someone please enlighten me as to what this assumption has been based on  ??? As  it's the most craziest thing I have ever heard lol lol  ;D

It would be a shame if this whole issue became all about "class" since we all live here and we all obviously love the area. I feel there is much common ground between the yes and no groups and think it would be far more positive if people could find a way to work together towards a solution that would make everyone happy.

Miss Marple

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
just as a matter of intrest what do you mean MIA members are snobs ?  I keep hearing this quite a look not only on this site but I have been informed that the YES Face Book page makes reference to all MIA members being snobs.  Can someone please enlighten me as to what this assumption has been based on  ??? As  it's the most craziest thing I have ever heard lol lol  ;D

JMC

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »

tina

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2011, 08:07:42 PM »

Flippant remarks have been made about wanting a McDonald's, sports shop etc etc, and you have jumped on it. Those are not what the 'yes' group are about. I actually wrote the remarks about those 2 shops, so feel I have the right to put you right on them, they was flippant remarks in a late night chat between 2 women, getting carried away with the banter.

If the Yes page on Facebook is the only place others are able to follow your campaign then you have a duty to only post statements which reflect what you "are about". You're in danger of alienating others who may support you in the supermarket issue but not your other "flippant" remarks.

I also find it quite astonishing that people are intimidated by MIA. After all, they are simply doing what you are doing, voicing an opinion. In doing so they are also trying to reveal the truth that the college have tried so hard to conceal. From what I have seen, they are simply approaching people, telling them the facts as they know them and asking if they feel strongly enough to sign a petition. Hardly bullying tactics.

OK I acknowledge your thoughts on the yes page.
I don't want to move out of Marple! I was born here and proud to say I come from Marple. I am however a non driver and a single mother. I am not able to go to a supermarket out of Marple unless it involves asking someone to take me, and my friends and family have their own life and I don't feel happy asking for a lift so I get my shopping delivered by Asda. I would like to be able to go up to Marple and be able to buy all my shopping from up there but its just not possible. I have 2 jobs and a mortgage to pay. When I heard about the proposal of a supermarket coming to Marple I was pleased. If it doesn't get built then I will continue to get my shopping delivered. Not everyone are able to do this for various reasons. Just because I am in favour does not mean I should move out of Marple. also its those kind of comments what you are making is my point about MIA putting pressure on people. You are basically saying to me, I'm not telling you to move but suggest you do!

SkyGuy

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »

Flippant remarks have been made about wanting a McDonald's, sports shop etc etc, and you have jumped on it. Those are not what the 'yes' group are about. I actually wrote the remarks about those 2 shops, so feel I have the right to put you right on them, they was flippant remarks in a late night chat between 2 women, getting carried away with the banter.

If the Yes page on Facebook is the only place others are able to follow your campaign then you have a duty to only post statements which reflect what you "are about". You're in danger of alienating others who may support you in the supermarket issue but not your other "flippant" remarks.

I also find it quite astonishing that people are intimidated by MIA. After all, they are simply doing what you are doing, voicing an opinion. In doing so they are also trying to reveal the truth that the college have tried so hard to conceal. From what I have seen, they are simply approaching people, telling them the facts as they know them and asking if they feel strongly enough to sign a petition. Hardly bullying tactics.

JMC

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
Tina,

I don't think the issue is whether or not a person has lived in Marple all of their life or have only just moved here.
The fact of the matter is if you don't like what Marple has to offer or it's shops fail to suit your lifestyle or budget then move, it really is that simple.
Next you will be wanting a Mecca bingo and a cash converter just to suit the needs of the impoverished few.
Oh and it's Marks and Spencer by the way.

I find that post abit rude and it sounds quite snobbish too. Are people not allowed to make spelling errors? How do you know someone isn't dyslexic etc.?

tina

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
Tina,

I don't think the issue is whether or not a person has lived in Marple all of their life or have only just moved here.
The fact of the matter is if you don't like what Marple has to offer or it's shops fail to suit your lifestyle or budget then move, it really is that simple.
Next you will be wanting a Mecca bingo and a cash converter just to suit the needs of the impoverished few.
Oh and it's Marks and Spencer by the way.

how rude, don't be petty over a simple spelling mistake, and why should I move! honestly, this is a open debate and the Marple Website was set up for All to use. But at the moment I feel that if you don't agree with the MIA then you become a outcast and get told to move!

I could say petty things like why should M&Co be pressured into moving across the road into smaller premises so you can all have a smaller convenience store, why should our sorting office be closed down so you can have your smaller convenience store built on there without any care to Chadwick Street residents, you say you care about the surrounding homes at Hibbert Lane but then show no compassion to those on Chadwick?

It is statements like that what shows MIA have holes in their campaign. They don't want another supermarket full stop, they just try to butter everyone up with a hypocritical compromise, which still does not solve the problem for the college that they need to find some money to improve the college, if they don't then we could stand to loose it completely which  I don't want and I know many more don't. I know people who will not dare to show they are in favour of a supermarket as they feel intimidated by MIA. Its not a nice feeling being made to feel stupid just because you want something different.

Belle Star

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
Having just read through the Yes campaign's Facebook page, I feel I must raise my concerns. How are we supposed to take their campaign seriously when they seem to be advocating other new businesses such as Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, Primark, B&M, Soccer Sports etc. In my opinion, it is the very lack of such low grade, low quality places that makes Marple the special place it is. If all of these businesses were to open, Marple would lose its individual feel and become just another soulless, tacky, clone town. If these are the kinds of shops that the people supporting the Yes campaign really want, I would suggest that they move somewhere where these shops already exist. Why would they choose to live in a town that doesn't cater to their needs? Don't try and change our town just to fit your requirements when there are other places clearly far more suited to your lifestyle.

I think you will find that those comments were made by people who have lived in marple all their lives and didn't move into Marple.

Low grade shops! really!  How stuck up do you sound! would you prefer they wanted a marks and spensers and John Lewis? 

Tina, I think you're missing the point that Sky Guy was trying to make. These people may have lived in Marple all their lives, but that doesn't mean that they should stay if their lifestyles and shopping habits as adults would be better served by moving elsewhere. If having a large Tesco or Asda on your doorstep is important to you, there are plenty of towns where that is already a possibility. It doesn't necessarily follow that Marple would be a better place if a large supermarket were built on Hibbert Lane, potentially destroying Market Street and the great range of independent shops we are so lucky to have. And anyway, people that have moved to Marple have done so because they like what Marple currently has to offer, not because they hope that one day a large supermarket may be built - quite the reverse!