All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Marple vs Supermarket - latest press coverage  (Read 28679 times)

NeilCorrie

Re: Marple vs Supermarket - latest press coverage
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
Local blogger Marple Leaf has a posting today concerning the Chadwick Street supermarket development.

http://themarpleleaf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/is-marple-aldi-or-waitrose-kind-of-place.html

thebigshed

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Concerning the questionnaire being of the "when did you stop beating your wife" variety. Why should Asda do anything different?  It is up to others to object.  They are hardly going to promote objections are they?

It may take some effort on the part of the small shopkeepers of Marple but a new store could be a great opportunity for them.  I do have a concern about the traffic management however and that needs to be carefully watched.

simonesaffron

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
Thanks Mark for posting it.

Its a clear enough written article but it has all been said before. I often think that "public consultation" is a much over-used term. In reality it usually means these are our intentions and if you don't like it, tough. As members of the public we often delude ourselves that we have any influence at all.

As for Mrs Hodges "concern" is she/can she follow it up in any way? I think that we all know the answer to that. This is the first and last last we'll hear from her on the subject

It is very hard to predict what is going to happen to the Hibbert Lane site. There are lot of influences at play here. Asda have been clever (one would expect no less) with their "joint" planning application (as predicted I think), last year people were saying that they were either for or against the Asda now they are saying they are either for or against the MACSFC/ASDA Marple project. According to conversations I've been having opinions are various but what everybody seems to be saying unanimously is that they are for the College's improvements.

An interesting situation occurs on the new onsite poll. Last time I looked only 39 people had actually voted. I think we've got about 800 plus members on this website - so 39 is pathetic. However it really does make you think - now that plans have been revealed does anybody really care ?

Also heard from Town Hall source that local Councillor resistance is not as fierce as it was. Some local Councillors have actually been making noises in favour of it...interesting eh ?           

Dave

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
Thanks Mark - it's a good article, clear and well written. He makes some fair points - for example about the lack of early consultation by the college, but he's quite wrong about the governors having 'got to the situation of being unable to properly plan for and fund development at the college'.  All colleges are in the same boat: there is no government capital, so they have to plan for and fund developments in other ways, i.e. by asset disposals and/or borrowing, as in this case.  As for Margaret Hodge, she's whistling in the wind......  ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
Article in the Grocer this week:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
It looks remarkably like a newspaper to me......    ::)

Harry

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
What has anything in the previous post got to do with the topic - "latest press coverage" ????

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
Just sharing an interesting email received today:

We’re from Oswestry, a market town on the Shropshire/Wales border.

Like you, we have been battling the might of the big supermarkets. We fought, but unfortunately failed to stop, what turned out to be Tesco gaining planning to build an out-of-town superstore.

But Oswestry is rallying to keep the heart of the town vibrant, relevant and ready for the impact of Tesco when it arrives. Town businesses, the town chamber of commerce and anti-supermarket action group – Os21 – have been promoting the strengths and community value of the town’s trading heart.

In July, we staged a very successful ‘Take 2 the Streets’ trade event, when shops came out to peddle their wares on stalls, creating a colourful and busy street market. We had an exhibition of ideas and feedback on people’s concerns about a big superstore development and how we can safeguard the future of town centre trade.

The day included an open air performance of ‘Supermarket’, an album of 12 ‘protest’ songs by Neil Phillips which has just been released on CD/download and for free listen-to on soundcloud. A bit of local press is attached.

We wanted to link up with other anti-supermarket action groups to exchange notes, ideas and inspiration on how to fight back against and survive the supermarket onslaught.

We would love it if you would take a listen to the songs on soundcloud - http://soundcloud.com/neilphillips-3/tracks?page=1 – and take a look at the ‘Supermarket’ website - www.eclectic-music.co.uk/supermarket - where there are excerpts from the tracks, plus lyrics and info. Your town may even be name-checked on track 12 – ‘It’s not over’. Perhaps track 11, ‘Every Little Helps’, could become the anthem of supermarket protest!

By the way, we are currently sourcing films and videos for the songs to be screened during live performances of ‘Supermarket’ and to go on the website. Maybe someone in your circles might be inspired to put something together? Potential contributors can contact us or the project collaborator, Kinokulture, an alternative cinema promoter and film maker. Their contact is Ruth Carter on 0845 2500517 or go to www.kinokulture.org.uk

If you are within striking distance, the next performance on the Supermarket ‘tour’ is in Oswestry on December 30th. See www.eclectic-music.co.uk for details.

Perhaps there are people among your community who are writing protest songs, poems and creating art around the subject of supermarket development? Perhaps we could all come together in one big national anti-supermarket event, knees-up, festival, that could take awareness to the next level?

Or if that’s too ambitious at this point, perhaps Neil could come and perform ‘Supermarket’ at one of your future protests or awareness events?

Any way, food for thought – and keep the good work up.

All the best from Oswestry.

Kate Clarke/Neil Phillips

01691 652918

07751 160576

PS: Feel free to forward this message to anyone you think would be interested.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

MM_James

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »
Hi,

I'm a journalist with the Manchester based website Mancunian Matters (http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/) and I've been following the Hibbert Lane dispute. I was at the recent area committee meeting regarding the prospect of a supermarket on the Chadwick Street site and would like to canvas the opinions of residents local to both the Hibbert Lane site in relation to the plans there and also those who could be affected by any development at the Chadwick Street site.

Please could anybody willing to discuss with myself PM me and I'll set up a time which is convenient to call and discuss.

Thanks and regards,

James McLaughlin

amazon

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »
Werneth
Land on the corner of School Brow
Oakwood Mills
Unity Mill
Land off Stockport Road East

That's Better Alan 

alan@marple

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
Werneth
Oakwood Mills
Unity Mill

amazon

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
One thing's certain - the council is not going to buy land for a travellers' site, when they can use land they already own.  So the prospect of travellers on the Hibbert Lane college site is zero. 

Notice nothing mentioned about sites in romiley .cherry tree school land     would be ideal

Dave

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
One thing's certain - the council is not going to buy land for a travellers' site, when they can use land they already own.  So the prospect of travellers on the Hibbert Lane college site is zero. 

alan@marple

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
I thought I could sense a hidden agenda, so there is now a chance that the Campus might become a travellers site

http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/s/1465240_old-offerton-school-site-may-be-home-for-travellers

it is listed now as a potential choice.

Well I suppose if you don't want a supermarket and you don't want more social housing, then what could be better
than a travellers site, at least they would have a choice as to whether to enjoy Marple Folks Hospitality, or if not there
even Top Lock!

Were your elected representatives not aware of this possibility?

Full list of possible traveller sites by area committee:

Stepping Hill
13 and 15 Vine Street
Works buildings on Brook Street
Offerton High School, The Fairway
School Street Industrial Estate
Cherry Tree Hospital, Cherry Tree Lane
Land bounded by Buxton Road, Melford Road and Tannock Road
Newby Road Industrial Estate, off Bramhall Moor Lane
Melford Road Employment Area, off Macclesfield Road
Offerton Sand & Gravel
Dialstone Centre, Lisburne Lane
Torkington Road Depot

Marple
Marple Sorting Office and car park, Chapel Fields
British Waterways Yard, Church Street
Cheadle and Marple College, Hibbert Lane Campus
Peacefield Primary School
The Dale Primary School
Werneth
Oakwood Mills
Unity Mill

Heatons and Reddish
Fir Tree Primary School, Browning Road
Land off Sandfold Lane
North Heaton Primary School
North Area College, Buckingham Road
The Ropeworks, Stanbank Street

Cheadle
Bullocks Coaches garage, Stockport Road
Grimond House, The Paddock
Nurses Home, Cheadle Royal Hospital
Land at Cheadle Campus, Cheadle Road

Central
Bridgehall Sidings
Adswood Road/Stockholm Road
Adswood Road/Siddington Avenue

Bramhall and Cheadle Hulme
Land off Adswood Road,
Land off Midland Road,
Land off Earl Road,
Adswood Employment Area, Adswood Road
Hulme Hall Close

Victor M

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
I wonder if the council have Bethell to remove their poster at the same time!