A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Should the Coop open 24 hours?  (Read 5677 times)

alan@marple

Re: Should the Coop open 24 hours?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »

Let Asda/Tesco buy the Co-op, then you will all be happy!

JMC

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
I don't think it is attacking the Co-op. Simply stating the reasons people are giving for supporting the potential supermarket. It needs to be looked at surely. Every argument has to be looked at, especially one coming up time and time again ( a few other people have mentioned it also).

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
If anyone ever goes into they co-op later in the evening there are usually more staff than customers.
What would be the point/benefit of them opening longer ?

I for one can't cope with being unable to buy a TV between the hours of 10pm & 8pm. I think if there were a need, the CO-op would open 24 hours.

jethroh65

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
If anyone ever goes into they co-op later in the evening there are usually more staff than customers.
What would be the point/benefit of them opening longer ?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »
I know it's a bit different the Co-op being asked to open banks in its store but like I say if nobody asks them about Hanburys, it'll just lie empty.
The Co-Op have been asked repeatedly about the Hanburys building over a very long period of time and they have been pressured by local councillors and the Business Forum. You will see more details in this topic http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3686.0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Freddy

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
Whilst not knocking the Co op and understanding Fairtrade principles £1.45 for 2 litres of milk versus £1 at iceland is unfairtrade. >:(

The Co op runs out of food when open the usual hours the shelves would be bare if they opened any longer. ???

marpudlian

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
Hi guys could we please stop attacking the Co-op. The Co-op gets such a bad name round Marple, which is really unfair. The Co-op isn't a bad supermarket, it may seem 'over priced' but that is only because it pays a fair price for its products unlike SOME supermarkets who bully suppliers. It is a responsible retailer  ;D

If you re-read the OP you will see this thread is not "attacking" the Co-op. It asks whether opening said supermarket 24 hours a day would help the case against Tesco.

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »
Well said 'artcatdog'!  The Co-op has a lot going for it, and its ethical stance is second to none.  It also sells a great deal of Fairtrade products.  We should be supporting it and the aims of the movement rather than attacking it!

jet

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
The Co-OP do not own the car park behind the Shops on the Hollins.They lease the land from the National Coal Board Superannuation pension fund ,who also own the Shops and the old Hanburys store.Also you don't have to pay for a parking ticket on the car park ,you can park there and shop on the Hollins ,Excel nor the Co-Op can do anything about it .Do not be pressured into buying a parking ticket,I have never payed for one, and nobody has been fine.

artcatdog

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:05:56 AM »
Hi guys could we please stop attacking the Co-op. The Co-op gets such a bad name round Marple, which is really unfair. The Co-op isn't a bad supermarket, it may seem 'over priced' but that is only because it pays a fair price for its products unlike SOME supermarkets who bully suppliers. It is a responsible retailer  ;D

Take a look at this link - The Co-operative Group has been crowned Responsible Retailer of the Year at the prestigious Oracle Retail Week Awards 2011, which recognise the very best in UK retailing

http://www.co-operative.coop/corporate/Press/Press-releases/Headline-news/Co-operative-crowned-Responsible-Retailer-for-fourth-year-running-/

*The Co-operative, which raised the bar further in February with the launch of its groundbreaking Ethical Operating Plan, beat ASDA, B & Q, Marks and Spencer, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and TESCO to take the coveted "green" award*.

Over the past three years the co-operative economy has consistently outperformed the rest of the UK economy, growing by almost 25%. Around 12.9 million people are members and it is a sector now worth well over £30bn, providing employment for more than 235,000 workers. 

Co-ops' are enjoying a renaissance as people look for more trustworthy, ethical businesses. Recent research shows that people see co-operatives as fair, honest businesses, whereas conventional businesses are viewed as greedy and cutthroat."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/may/14/cooperative-modern-makeover

The Co-op might be blocking Tesco or Sainburys from opening a Express style store at Hanburys but personally I don't blame them. Its right on their doorstep. Hanburys has no parking and people would probably tresspass on their land (not pay the 30p and nip in the Tesco or whatever Hanburys could become). Don't get me wrong I personally think there is room for a Sainsburys local (not a TESCO EXTRA) somewhere in Marple, just not on that site!

Co-op are also not on their own with this type of behaviour (land banking) - ALL major supermarkets do this!! Tesco has many landbanks throughout the country which they wrap up in all kinds of clauses and sell on, so no other food business can operate from the sites.

I think rather than attacking the Co-op over this issues maybe some should ask them if it is possible to use the space (Hanburys). Maybe ask them to open it up as a community space or something... I'm sure they'd rather it be used for the good of the community especially with all this stuff going on with the College being sold off. If you don't ask you don't get and after all the Co-op is a CO-OPERATIVE.  :D

**The community of Hanbury, West Yorkshire, called on the Co-op to open a bank in the town when the last remaining outlet closed down in 2010. A petition of 1,000 residents in the community called on the Co-op to open a bank in the town and the company duly obliged (see retail gazette for full story). I know it's a bit different the Co-op being asked to open banks in its store but like I say if nobody asks them about Hanburys, it'll just lie empty.**

Ps Co-op won't open 24 hours, there is no point, it would cost them to much money to do it.

moonforest

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »
I personally don't think it would help much. I think lowering prices and giving up Hanburys would have more effect in getting more people onside. The argument time and time again for a supermarket is the Co-op being overpriced and a monopoly. That is the key argument (for gaining support) in my opinion from what i have been hearing.

Same here, JMC.

JMC

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »
I personally don't think it would help much. I think lowering prices and giving up Hanburys would have more effect in getting more people onside. The argument time and time again for a supermarket is the Co-op being overpriced and a monopoly. That is the key argument (for gaining support) in my opinion from what i have been hearing.

marpudlian

Should the Coop open 24 hours?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
This could help stop Tesco if we already a have a 24 hour supermarket.