A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Say 'No' Awareness Signs  (Read 35841 times)

Dave

Re: Say 'No' Awareness Signs
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
I agree that the college has not handled this matter very cleverly so far - trying to hush it up from the outset was completely the wrong thing to do - after all, it was always going to become public at some stage.  So no wonder it has now backfired on them.   ::)

That said, the college can't have the faintest idea what they are going to get for the Hibbert Lane site, if they go ahead with trying to sell it.  If a supermarket can get planning consent, then we are told it might sell for £12 million or more.  If they can't get that consent, and the land is sold for another use, it could be £4 million or less.  So we're not going to see anything 'concrete' for quite a while - in more senses than one  ;D

NeilCorrie

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
I'm afraid it's not 'as simple as that'.  There's nothing concrete regarding CAMSFC's plans in the public arena.  As stated, given their shenanigans so far, I agree with Lisa in that it may be remiss to assume all the proceeds would be spent on Buxton Lane. 

Re my previous post, it's simple Dave,  you said 'our' educational facilities.  They aren't 'ours' they are CAMSFC's and what they do with them, what level of investment there is, and what will be based at Buxton Lane etc just isn't known.

Indeed.

The gym and sports hall are "ours" (i.e. facility for the community) but they're to be bulldozed as part of the supermarket build. 

And until CAMSFC lift their veil of secrecy, I remain to be convinced whether flattening an entire college site and cramming all 2,000 students into Buxton Lane should be considered an improvement.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
I'm afraid it's not 'as simple as that'.  There's nothing concrete regarding CAMSFC's plans in the public arena.  As stated, given their shenanigans so far, I agree with Lisa in that it may be remiss to assume all the proceeds would be spent on Buxton Lane. 

Re my previous post, it's simple Dave,  you said 'our' educational facilities.  They aren't 'ours' they are CAMSFC's and what they do with them, what level of investment there is, and what will be based at Buxton Lane etc just isn't known.

Dave

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
The college have never said that the money will definitely go to improve the Buxton lane site. 

We don't really know the intentions of CAMSFC, apart from flogging the land.

The Chairman of Governors' statement, issued back in July, spells it out: 'There is no doubt that the Marple campus of Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College is in need of urgent investment and we must sell the land at Hibbert Lane to afford this investment.'

Think about it......

1.  They intend to invest in the Marple Campus.
2.  In order to do that, they will sell the Hibbert Lane part.
3.  That just leaves the other part to invest in.

It's as simple as that.

Improving their educational facilities...I agree, that is what the college is selling the land for.  Improving our educational facilities...is a different matter. 

I can't get my mind round that!  They are our educational facilities - after all, they're not much use to the college if our kids and grandkids don't go there!     

NeilCorrie

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
The college have never said that the money will definitely go to improve the Buxton lane site.  I think its something many presume.  I am very concerned we will lose the college all together eventually and this is just a first step.. And if thats the case we will have little chance of fighting it.

It's a good question.  Would be a little remiss to just assume that it'll get spent on Buxton Lane.  We're due an answer very shortly to a FOI concerning details of what CAMSFC intend to do with the proceeds, see FOI : Plans concerning proceeds from proposed Hibbert Lane sale.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
The college have never said that the money will definitely go to improve the Buxton lane site.  I think its something many presume.  I am very concerned we will lose the college all together eventually and this is just a first step.. And if thats the case we will have little chance of fighting it.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
Improving their educational facilities...I agree, that is what the college is selling the land for.  Improving our educational facilities...is a different matter.  Many public services are looking at how their services are delivered and part and parcel of these considerations are the costs involved in running multiple sites.  We don't really know the intentions of CAMSFC, apart from flogging the land.

Belly

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »
I am certainly trying to avoid those shops showing the poster at present, because I don't think local businesses should be opposing a scheme which will enhance our educational facilities.  
Dave, you have posted the sentence above as a statement of fact; "will enhance".  No proof at all, just more speculation, yet this is precisely what you are continually criticising other forum members for...do I detect a whiff of hypocrisy?

How is this speculation? The whole raisaon d'etre for the College selling their land is to for them to seek to improve their facilities, by raising money to create a campus that will meet 21st century needs. If that is not a fact, then surely the 50+ page thread it has generated is simply speculation about speculation and we should all just pack it in.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
 I am certainly trying to avoid those shops showing the poster at present, because I don't think local businesses should be opposing a scheme which will enhance our educational facilities. 
Dave, you have posted the sentence above as a statement of fact; "will enhance".  No proof at all, just more speculation, yet this is precisely what you are continually criticising other forum members for...do I detect a whiff of hypocrisy?

Dave

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »
I doubt whether a shop displaying a 'No' poster will gain any custom from it, but they might lose some. 
Any proof to back this point up? Otherwise its just "pointless scaremongering"

No proof - it's just my opinion.  Hence my use of the words 'doubt' and 'might'. We shall have to wait and see. 

Dave

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
which will enhance our educational facilities. 
And your proof for that is please?

Because, at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious,  £12 million will buy a whole lot more improvements than £4 million.

Smithy166

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 11:05:27 PM »
I doubt whether a shop displaying a 'No' poster will gain any custom from it, but they might lose some. 
Any proof to back this point up? Otherwise its just "pointless scaremongering"

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »
which will enhance our educational facilities. 
And your proof for that is please?

Dave

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
Personally I suspect the more sensible shop owners will think twice before they take sides on this issue.  I doubt whether a shop displaying a 'No' poster will gain any custom from it, but they might lose some.  I am certainly trying to avoid those shops showing the poster at present, because I don't think local businesses should be opposing a scheme which will enhance our educational facilities. 

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
also in Littlewoods, Whites, All things Nice, Trek and Travel, Beadesaurus, Marple Chiropractor, Marple News, Antique Rose, SVC Lighting, and myself!