Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Petition Signatures  (Read 7187 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Petition Signatures
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
This topic has had a number of original posts removed due to the inclusion of personal details. Some of the posts that were removed by Howard last night as he was trying to moderate the topic on the fly have been put back. I wouldn’t like to say it makes good reading but here it is, warts and all (or most of them).

I must say that I’m appalled by the way some of you “speak” to each other on this forum and I’m very disappointed in the treatment of rookie moderator Howard, who was supporting me by trying to stop things from getting out of hand.

I was planning to make an announcement about our two new Moderators, Howard and Lisa, who have recently volunteered to help me look after the forum now that it is much busier. I should have done it sooner but I didn’t realise that Howard would get called into action quite so quickly! My apologies go to him for that and an announcement will follow soon.

To answer some of the issues in this thread about the on-line petition, as I have said before, I set up the NO on-line Petition and I also monitor it for duplicate signatures. I do this using software to allow me to filter for duplicate names and duplicate email addresses. I’ve removed a significant number of duplicates, most of which I’m pretty sure were due to people being uncertain if their first post had been accepted. The process did not pick up the 3 signatures highlighted in this thread because they were all different names and different emails. Two of these have now been removed, as will any others that come to my attention as duplicates.

The issues that some of you have described, about being uncertain if people have signed a petition more than once, apply to all petitions (on-line or paper) and not just the NO Petition. The YES Petition, although it is much smaller, is suffering from similar problems and several of the 54 signatures on that are from the same people.

In the end, all that anyone can do is their best to ensure that people only sign once. I am doing that for the on-line NO Petition and would estimate from the info I am able to view and download from the site that it is no more that a couple of % off being unique signatures.

If you would like to continue this thread and not have it closed down and removed again please stay polite and well mannered when you are posting to it and responding to others.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 11:49:43 PM »
I removed the posts because unpleasant bickering led to personal information (names and addresses) being posted.

As with Mark, I make no secret of the fact that I believe a supermarket on the Hibbert Lane site would be detrimental to Marple. I am not a member of MIA. However, I'm only moderating posts using the same guidelines that Mark uses. I will never move any posts that contribute to the debate.

if you need to have a one-to-one discussion with someone you can always use the PM system.

Miss Marple

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »
Tricky I can honestly say with hand on heart that I have only ever signed the on line petition  The supermarkets are well known for verifying signatures so what would be the point !

Howard

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »
Hope that is better for you Howard!

Much better! Vigorous debate is fine; bickering and name calling is not encouraged. See post from Mark on posting guidelines:
http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3741.msg17568#msg17568

Miss Marple

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »
Online petitions are not to be trusted, a person could sign it 3 or MORE times but using a different name. Hope that is better for you Howard!
Having looked at the No online petition it could be argued that a certain person has signed it 3 times and therefore 2 of those signatures need to be removed for it to be a honest one
Mark monitors the on line petitions send him a PM  and inform him  ;)

tina

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »
Online petitions are not to be trusted, a person could sign it 3 or MORE times but using a different name. Hope that is better for you Howard!
Having looked at the No online petition it could be argued that a certain person has signed it 3 times and therefore 2 of those signatures need to be removed for it to be a honest one

Howard

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »
Posts removed over bickering and personal details being posted. Please keep it civil people.

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Do you know what Tricky I can honestly say with hand on heart I have not !  I have only ever signed the on line petition.  As I have said before we have been warned by other groups who are against supermarkets that they are really looked into, so  I know that the supermarkets really study petitions and therefore can not see the point of signing twice.  

tina

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:59:03 PM »
Tina Tina what is your problem ?   Have I ever challenged your YES petitions ?  Please do not try to discredit our campaign and question people who have signed.  I can assure you the supermarkets will look into every signature and verify it and god forbid if they do find issues with any of them !  Then MIA will have to up tent and gain more until we have the required amount .  One thing I can say is that MIA are here for the whole journey and sadly that journey has not even started, so please just back off, concentrate on your YES campaign because it's going to be a long long haul for us all.

I think you will find it was Harry who looked into the signatures and I merly pointed out that you could sign more than once as many people, I have found a third one for you as I had a look myself. If you are doing it then I'm sure many more are. Stop singling out me all the time! I have just as much right to comment as you do. You get very defensive when your mistakes are pointed out!

Tricky

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »
Have you signed the NO petition more than once Miss Marple?
meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
Tina Tina what is your problem ?   Have I ever challenged your YES petitions ?  Please do not try to discredit our campaign and question people who have signed.  I can assure you the supermarkets will look into every signature and verify it and god forbid if they do find issues with any of them !  Then MIA will have to up tent and gain more until we have the required amount .  One thing I can say is that MIA are here for the whole journey and sadly that journey has not even started, so please just back off, concentrate on your YES campaign because it's going to be a long long haul for us all.

tina

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
Oh we already know that the supermarkets go through them with a fine tooth comb looking for double signatures so we are doing their work for them  ;).  My aim is 10,000 but like the others in MIA I am confident we can get more so Dave please don't sign twice it just makes more work for us    :D

Of course there is nothing to stop people signing it multiple times using different names.

Even I would give the supermarkets more credit for them not spot that !  Our signatures are all above board !

How would they ever know?

Who could say if signature number 16 of the on-line petition, Paula Smith, was or was not the same person as signature  number 72, Miss Marple?

Same style of writing, but different names. Perhaps one of them isn't a real name. But it still counts toward the total.

well spotted Harry... how can you say the signitures are monitered when you have signed it twice? Multiple email address' is abusing the signitures and I'm sure a lot of them will be the same person from Mulitple emails, just like the one being signed in Marple... say I came on saturday and signed it myself, then the following saturday signed it with my sons name, then the following saturday signed it as my parent etc etc... just little ole me signing it but in a different name!

Harry

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
Oh we already know that the supermarkets go through them with a fine tooth comb looking for double signatures so we are doing their work for them  ;).  My aim is 10,000 but like the others in MIA I am confident we can get more so Dave please don't sign twice it just makes more work for us    :D

Of course there is nothing to stop people signing it multiple times using different names.

Even I would give the supermarkets more credit for them not spot that !  Our signatures are all above board !

How would they ever know?

Who could say if signature number 16 of the on-line petition, Paula Smith, was or was not the same person as signature  number 72, Miss Marple?

Same style of writing, but different names. Perhaps one of them isn't a real name. But it still counts toward the total.

Miss Marple

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
Oh we already know that the supermarkets go through them with a fine tooth comb looking for double signatures so we are doing their work for them  ;).  My aim is 10,000 but like the others in MIA I am confident we can get more so Dave please don't sign twice it just makes more work for us    :D

Even I would give the supermarkets more credit for them not spot that !  Our signatures are all above board !

Harry

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
Oh we already know that the supermarkets go through them with a fine tooth comb looking for double signatures so we are doing their work for them  ;).  My aim is 10,000 but like the others in MIA I am confident we can get more so Dave please don't sign twice it just makes more work for us    :D