Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Stratgies to oppose a Supermarket  (Read 10801 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Stratgies to oppose a Supermarket
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
Hi we have already got a few things planned and are just waiting to get organised  would anyone like to become involved .  if you do please contact with your email address or telephone number.  MARPLE IN ACTION is not just a few people it's the whole community and we need your help  ???

squirrel123

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
Good idea about a banner.....and the kids are off school at the moment so it wouldnt affect school traffic for a few weeks at least.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
Also, how about a march?
We could start in the park, then march in a huge group through market street, past hibbert lane campus (slowing down ofcourse) then turn right onto buxton lane and march past the buxton lane campus (again, slowing down.) then contiune on to that small parking area at the beginning of the middlewood way. Almost like you seen unions marching though the streets about job cuts.

like onward Christian soldiers .

Smithy166

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »
If anybody put a banner across Dan Bank they would have to be prepared to face the consequences if it came down, and possibly covered a vehicle's windscreen as groups of young people were headed to/from school. It doesn't take much imagination to envisage the horrors that this could cause.
That is why you'd make sure that is was tightly secured.

Harry

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
If anybody put a banner across Dan Bank they would have to be prepared to face the consequences if it came down, and possibly covered a vehicle's windscreen as groups of young people were headed to/from school. It doesn't take much imagination to envisage the horrors that this could cause.

Smithy166

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
Also, how about a march?
We could start in the park, then march in a huge group through market street, past hibbert lane campus (slowing down ofcourse) then turn right onto buxton lane and march past the buxton lane campus (again, slowing down.) then contiune on to that small parking area at the beginning of the middlewood way. Almost like you seen unions marching though the streets about job cuts.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »
council cant take it down if its on private property!!  Sure the bloke who owns it would be up for it

Duke Fame

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
Good idea but alas not enough trees since Jason Voorhees visited with his chain saw

Very good  :D

Nice idea although it would have to be very high. I  reckon the council would have it down in a jiffy which in itself could create a bit of media coverage.

Taurus

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Not sure weither this is worth anything, but hey ho i'll suggest it anyway.

Is there any chance we could get a huge banner printed with "marple in action" and the web address on it? If we could then the banner could be strung accross dan bank, so that people can see it. However, the people putting up the banner would have to make sure that its hgih enough to allow artics/busses underneath.

Good idea but alas not enough trees since Jason Voorhees visited with his chain saw

Smithy166

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Not sure weither this is worth anything, but hey ho i'll suggest it anyway.

Is there any chance we could get a huge banner printed with "marple in action" and the web address on it? If we could then the banner could be strung accross dan bank, so that people can see it. However, the people putting up the banner would have to make sure that its hgih enough to allow artics/busses underneath.

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

Excellent points. Any campaign needs to address all the points FOR a big supermarket (any supermarket) and be able to counter them all. Eg. More jobs, cheaper prices, investment, money for college, more competition etc. As that is probably what they will come out with to make a case for their store.

Quite right. Any store will ahve been through this before with planty of arguments along the lines presented on the 'TESCO' thread. We need to anticipate the arguments in favour and counter them.

Job creation? I think that's not relevent as losing say the Fruit & Veg shop will lose staff, owners will lose an income, the landlord of the shop loses income for which is not spent into the economy. Further along the supply line, the local suppliers will lose a revenue stream, lay off staff etc. Multiply that to the bread shops, the co-op etc and the job inpact will be neutral at best.

Smithy166

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
This idea me be slighty bazzare, but hey (pardon the refrence here) "every little helps"
If we could somehow aquire a small chunk of land, either next to the college site, or at the proposed "mega-bout" then we could refuse to sell said chunk of land to the concil, forcing them to move there plan elsewere. Or atleast i think thats how it works ::)

JMC

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
Actually on reflection online deliveries can help with the argument against a store.

People have the choice in the village but can also order online if they need to so counters the Co-op monopoly argument.  We need to ensure we don't become anti-Tesco and keep it all about preserving the village community rather than just being against Tesco as a whole and against progress etc.

I'll get involved in whatever the Marple in Action group decide to help but I am conscious it must be structured and reasoned.

Excellent points. Any campaign needs to address all the points FOR a big supermarket (any supermarket) and be able to counter them all. Eg. More jobs, cheaper prices, investment, money for college, more competition etc. As that is probably what they will come out with to make a case for their store.

Maria

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
Actually on reflection online deliveries can help with the argument against a store.

People have the choice in the village but can also order online if they need to so counters the Co-op monopoly argument.  We need to ensure we don't become anti-Tesco and keep it all about preserving the village community rather than just being against Tesco as a whole and against progress etc.

I'll get involved in whatever the Marple in Action group decide to help but I am conscious it must be structured and reasoned.

Maria

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
Sounds good, I agree that posters raise awareness only but do little else. 

With you on boycotting/picketing etc and I am sure others will be too.  Feel we need a further meeting to discuss this further and also feel we should have designated people to write letters to the local councillors en masse.  I have contacts with the MEN so can get in touch to see if they will run a story in the Stockport Express etc further to the previous report.