Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Roman Bridge  (Read 6171 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Roman Bridge
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 08:56:39 PM »
To add my two-pen'th - I've had a response from Stockport's Conservation Officer, Paul Hartley. The gist of this is:

He was not aware of this - and as a result of Dave's enquiry the Public Rights of Way Officer has been today to have a look. He has advised that the stone has been placed on private land, it is not clear for what purpose at this time, but there is no current scheme to repair the Roman Bridge - or build a new one from these materials.

The Rights of Way Officer is organising the use of crushed stone to repair pathways in the area but the stone which has just appeared is not for this purpose.

It appears there is nothing to be concerned about. If I learn anymore I will let you know.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 08:42:31 PM »
Quite alright Dave, this writer certainly is not on the dark side, just a general comment for anyone concerning such matters.
Anyway, the hares can return home, the "work" is nothing to do with the Roman Bridge, the tree cutting is on private land and the "stones" are being investigated.

No criticism of Dave whatsoever, well done for spotting it, sorry that MCC appears to have hogged this item, only goes to show how concerned the community is.
Regarding a "yes" or "No" we did not know until we asked the question.
 ':O'

Dave

Roman Bridge
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 08:13:45 PM »
I think we need to lighten up a bit!   Your advice is noted, MCC, but I shall continue to use the Forum in the way that seems most appropriate - as a medium for informal discussion and information sharing.   There are no 'worries' and I certainly didn't regard the issue as an emergency!  ':cool:'

alastair

Roman Bridge
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 08:03:45 PM »
To be fair to Dave he did just ask a question!  All he asked was is this the start of the project.

A simple yes or no might have sufficed!

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 06:41:46 PM »
Matters raised concerning the protection of the Roman Bridge are NOT low key !!!!

BUT it would be sensible in future to relate such items in proportion AND inform SMBC yourselves, if it is at weekends use the councils emergency number if you have worries.

The item has been investigated and will be reported.

Dave

Roman Bridge
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 12:14:05 PM »
Didn't expect my low-key enquiry to set so many hares running!    Maybe we're just looking at a pile of rock and, quite independently, someone else doing a bit of tree clearing on the river bank.  Apologies if I have inadvertently stirred things up unnecessarily!

Dave

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 09:00:15 AM »
Another email received from Cllr. Chris Baker "Don't know anything about this work", also confirms that whatever is happening is not part of The Roman Bridge story (authorised version at least).
We have no doubt that SMBC will go and have a look TODAY.

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 07:41:59 PM »
Below is a copy of an email received today from Cllr. Shan Alexander.

"Adrian,

I do not know about this. I have informed the officers concerned to investigate and come back to me.I will send you the reply.

Shan"

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 06:42:43 PM »
Just for the record here is a copy of our email, sent about 12.50 pm. today to Marple Councillors:

"There appears to be concern TODAY of activities near the Roman Bridge (crossing the Goyt)
Trees are being cut down and stonework being left on site (or so claims a contributer to the Marple web site forum pages)
Do you have any knowledge of these matters?
A reply today would be appreciated.

Adrian Taylor."

As reported, we have received no response as yet.

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 06:28:38 PM »
After we posted our message (see below), we sent an email to Marple Councillors asking them, any one would do, to confirm or not that any work is being done to their knowledge in the vicinity of the Roman Bridge.
At the time of writing this message, we have not received their reply.

MCC Executive Committee

Roman Bridge
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 12:37:16 PM »
It's certainly news to us "If an alternative crossing" is being constructed near the existing bridge.
We spoke to the Public Rights of Way Officer in September, and there was no mention of any construction project.
There are a number of "things" to be done and procedures to go through IF something (anything) is going to be built near the Roman Bridge.
Quickest way, or should be, is to contact a South Marple ward local councillor, TODAY.
In the past Council reports have included possible solutions concerning the route of the public right of way/bridle way, (the bridge is the means for the public right of way/bridle way to cross the river) nothing has appeared in the form of a written report discussed in public, concerning the construction of an alternative crossing across the River Goyt at this point-the concerns of the local community to preserve the site as a beauty spot are well known to the Council-and any proposals should be discussed in public.
The council has only recently approved a traffic order preventing horses and motorbikes from using the existing bridge (see our highwaywatch site)-we do not recall a committment to construct another bridge nearby, there was a possible option regarding the possibility of a ford nearby.
 Â ':O'

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Roman Bridge
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 08:58:04 AM »
I can't believe it's the alternative crossing yet - I'm sure we'd have heard of that.

I have e-mailed Stockport's Heritage Officer to try and find out - probably won't get a reply until Monday earliest though, so watch this space.

If anyone else already has information about this, please let us know.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

Roman Bridge
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 08:07:38 AM »
There seems to be work starting near the Roman Bridge.  A pile of stone appeared on the Mellor side of the river a few weeks ago, and then this week there seems to be tree clearing and felling going on on the Strines side.  Does anyone know any more?  Is this the long-awaited alternative river crossing for horses and bikes?