Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: What shops do you use regular in marple .  (Read 17160 times)

JMC

Re: What shops do you use regular in marple .
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011, 12:05:26 PM »

If you stand in marple and as shoppers if there going to get tiolet roll most will say no, why? because they will have got it from a supermarket when they did there weekly shop at a supermarket because they have more choice.
However,
if you stand in the middle of marple and ask people how many of them are going to get fruit, veg and meat you will get a large amount of people saying yes. the reason for this? because its more convient, and its going to be fresher.
However, if you then build a gaint supermarket that offers a instore butchers and greengroicers which have more choice and lower prices thatn the shops in marple 9/10 people will go the supermarket.

Doesn't the Co-op sell the above items though? Does that take business away from local fruit/veg/meat shops?
Essentially are you then saying that we shouldn't have a large supermarket as then people will be able to choose where they want to buy things and 9/10 would want to go there?

So we shouldn't have the supermarket so that people are forced to use small shops that they only use because they are have to (if as you say 9/10 would prefer to go to a supermarket it it were there)

tina

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »

Ok, let me explain a few things.

First, Regardless of weither people have minds they will, and this is scientifically proven, shop at the place where the prices are cheaper, which, because tesco/asda/morrisions/lidl/aldi/whatever are huge multinational businesses they can afford to nock that 1p off there prices, and (pardon the phun) "ever little helps!"

Second, people are going to go where there is more choice. thats just the way human nature is.

and third, People are going to go were everything is under one roof, because it saves them time, and it saves them driving around everywhere looking for an item. otherwise why would these stores be in business?

If your explanation was correct then the local shops would already have gone, because everybody would be going to Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, etc. to do their shopping.

If you stand in marple and as shoppers if there going to get tiolet roll most will say no, why? because they will have got it from a supermarket when they did there weekly shop at a supermarket because they have more choice.
However,
if you stand in the middle of marple and ask people how many of them are going to get fruit, veg and meat you will get a large amount of people saying yes. the reason for this? because its more convient, and its going to be fresher.
However, if you then build a gaint supermarket that offers a instore butchers and greengroicers which have more choice and lower prices thatn the shops in marple 9/10 people will go the supermarket.

But 'smithy' people already do this... they go to the supermarket and buy their groceries then they come into Marple and buy their fruit and veg/meat/frozen foods. This will not change as so many people have already said it, they prefer to do this as its much fresher to buy from Marple than a supermarket.

Sareena

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
This has reminded me of the shoppers survey I saw on this site or Marple In Action site... I can't remember. Does anyone know when the results of the shoppers survey can bee seen by anyone. Also does anyone know how I could share that survey so that everyone gets counted.

Smithy166

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
that first "as" should be "ask".  ::)

Smithy166

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »

First, Regardless of weither people have minds they will, and this is scientifically proven, shop at the place where the prices are cheaper, which, because tesco/asda/morrisions/lidl/aldi/whatever are huge multinational businesses they can afford to nock that 1p off there prices, and (pardon the phun) "ever little helps!"

Second, people are going to go where there is more choice. thats just the way human nature is.

and third, People are going to go were everything is under one roof, because it saves them time, and it saves them driving around everywhere looking for an item. otherwise why would these stores be in business?

If your explanation was correct then the local shops would already have gone, because everybody would be going to Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, etc. to do their shopping.

However,

Harry

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »

Smithy166

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
Its all about choice. If the good people of Marple decide they would rather buy their goods from a new supermarket then that is their choice. Nobody will make them do it.

Personally, if I want a loaf of bread, I go to a bakers and buy fresh bread. I would not go to a supermarket and buy their mass produced 'plastic' bread.

If I want meat, I go to the vendor of the best quality meat at a reasonable price. I don't go to the cheapest.

But of course if I want commodity items, a bottle of kitchen cleaner, tins of beans, washing powder, I go to wherever it is the cheapest. These are not the things that our local independent shops provide.
But that's the whole point. If Tesco, or any other such concern gets a foot in the door you won't be able to buy your bread and meat in the bakers and the quality butchers for very long.

So you are saying that the people of Marple are sheep who have no ability to think for themselves and make a choice. I disagree. I think there are plenty, like me, who prefer quality to low prices.

Harry

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
Its all about choice. If the good people of Marple decide they would rather buy their goods from a new supermarket then that is their choice. Nobody will make them do it.

Personally, if I want a loaf of bread, I go to a bakers and buy fresh bread. I would not go to a supermarket and buy their mass produced 'plastic' bread.

If I want meat, I go to the vendor of the best quality meat at a reasonable price. I don't go to the cheapest.

But of course if I want commodity items, a bottle of kitchen cleaner, tins of beans, washing powder, I go to wherever it is the cheapest. These are not the things that our local independent shops provide.
But that's the whole point. If Tesco, or any other such concern gets a foot in the door you won't be able to buy your bread and meat in the bakers and the quality butchers for very long.

So you are saying that the people of Marple are sheep who have no ability to think for themselves and make a choice. I disagree. I think there are plenty, like me, who prefer quality to low prices.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »

Harry

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
Well I thought everyone knew that Tesco would see all the little shops go out of Business !  Well obviously not, just seen 2 chaps doing the old wine shop up at the end of Hibbert Lane their turning it into a convenience store !   Good Luck to them !

Why would all the little shops go out of business? If a supermarket were to open, nobody would be forced to shop there. They would still be free to shop where they like.
. Oh Harry  :-\ 

Miss Marple

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
Well I thought everyone knew that Tesco would see all the little shops go out of Business !  Well obviously not, just seen 2 chaps doing the old wine shop up at the end of Hibbert Lane their turning it into a convenience store !   Good Luck to them !

Why would all the little shops go out of business? If a supermarket were to open, nobody would be forced to shop there. They would still be free to shop where they like.
. Oh Harry  :-\ 

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
And where have you been hiding your head for the last 30 years? When I lived for some years in Hyde I saw Fine Fare, then Morrisons and Asda see off several independent butchers, greengrocers, bakers and other small independent shops, leaving the town the desert that it is now. And this has happened in several parts of the country that I know personally.

Make no mistake the same will happen here if Tesco gets away with it. And remember what happened with the Stockport store. They over-built by about 20% on the original plans and SMBC did damn all about it.

nbt

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »

Ermm - economies of scale means Tesco will be able to sell the same goods at lower prices than smaller shops. They'll also have a larger range under one roof. People will shop there for convenience, the local shops will lose custom. Eventually local shops will shut and tesco's prices will mysteriously begin to rise...
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Harry

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »