Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701819 times)

alstan

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1913 on: September 26, 2012, 08:40:02 AM »
Given the importance to ASDA of the prompt and efficient completion of the college project I would have thought it possible that, not only would they project manage the construction, but they might also manage the finance by paying for the work directly rather than passing the funds to the college.
I am a little puzzled by “Latest News” where the first 1000 signatures to the online petition was celebrated on 17th August 2011 but there was no celebration on the 17th August 2012 of the equally amazing news that the following 12 months had added another 354 signatures!
Also no reference to the announcement made at the last Local Area Meeting that Andrew Stunnell has arranged for the paper petition to be presented on the steps of 10 Downing Street. This is evidently so important that three of our councilors have expressed a wish to increase the publicity by travelling to London to attend this event and yet MIA do not consider it worth a mention.
While on the subject of councilors, the same three have expressed their continuing objection to the proposals for the development of Hibbert Lane and the renewal of our college. They have also made it clear that there is little or no possibility of their changing their minds. This implies that they are  prepared to take no account of any benefits to their electorate which might subsequently come to light.

Dave

« Reply #1912 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
Simone writes 'If the politicians (despite what some of them have said in public) actually want the Asda/CAMSFC scheme...', but that is a very big 'if'. AFAIK there is no local councillor who supports the camsfc/Asda scheme.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1911 on: September 25, 2012, 11:24:23 PM »
ASDA believe that within 300m is 'edge of centre' and that Hibbert Lane meets this criteria (see the other thread and the FOI links started by Neil Corrie). I have some sympathy with such a designation.

SMBC beg to differ.

This will be a key battleground in any planning debate / appeal.

Belly, you know about planning and presumably you know about local government.

So here's a question if you would be so kind to consider. I accept what you say about "edge of centre" battleground. I also belive that traffic management will be just as big an issue. However forget the planning pedantics for a minute. If the politicians (despite what some of them have said in public) actually want the Asda/CAMSFC scheme, even if planners have right on their side, will they be strong enough to resist the the political pressure ?     

tina

« Reply #1910 on: September 25, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »
Meanwhile, on the 'Latest News' thread, we are told that 'with the "I LOVE MARPLE" campaign, Marple in Action are determined to keep up the fight.'

I went to the excellent Food Fair last weekend, and when I got home, sporting an 'I Love Marple' sticker on my jumper, I got a right telling off from Mrs Dave.   'How dare you', she said - 'coming home wearing that sticker supporting those people who are against the new supermarket'.  So does saying 'I Love Marple' now mean that you are against the supermarket?   ???

I love Marple, but does that mean I can't because I want Asda to come to Marple? More speculation being wrote again I see about size, opening hours etc etc......

Dave

« Reply #1909 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
Meanwhile, on the 'Latest News' thread, we are told that 'with the "I LOVE MARPLE" campaign, Marple in Action are determined to keep up the fight.'

I went to the excellent Food Fair last weekend, and when I got home, sporting an 'I Love Marple' sticker on my jumper, I got a right telling off from Mrs Dave.   'How dare you', she said - 'coming home wearing that sticker supporting those people who are against the new supermarket'.  So does saying 'I Love Marple' now mean that you are against the supermarket?   ???

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #1908 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
ASDA believe that within 300m is 'edge of centre' and that Hibbert Lane meets this criteria (see the other thread and the FOI links started by Neil Corrie). I have some sympathy with such a designation.

SMBC beg to differ.

This will be a key battleground in any planning debate / appeal.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Dave

« Reply #1907 on: September 25, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
No, I meant Hibbert lane.  Googling around, I have found this definition of an 'edge of centre' development:

Edge of Centre. As defined in PPS4 - “For retail purposes, a location that is well
connected to and within easy walking distance (ie. up to 300 metres) of the primary
shopping area. For all other main town centre uses, this is likely to be within 300 metres of
a town centre boundary. In determining whether a site falls within the definition of edge-ofcentre,
account should be taken of local circumstances. For example, local topography
will affect pedestrians’ perceptions of easy walking distance from the centre. Other
considerations include barriers, such as crossing major roads and car parks, the
attractiveness and perceived safety of the route and the strength of attraction and size of
the town centre. A site will not be well connected to a centre where it is physically
separated from it by a barrier such as a major road, railway line or river and there is no
existing or proposed pedestrian route which provides safe and convenient access to the
centre.”

PPS4 is the Government's Planning Policy Statement no 4.

I think Chadwick Street would be regarded as being in the centre.

sgk

« Reply #1906 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
it doesn't matter if it's 300 m from the District Shopping or 3 miles.

Oh yes it does.  'Edge of town' developments (which Hibbert Lane would be, I think) are favoured over 'out of town' developments.  See, for example, http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/news/stories/2010/dec2010/9dec2010/091210_5

I figured Hibbert Lane was an "out of town" development, with there being a residential area between it and the town centre.

However, if you mean Chadwick Street, then perhaps that's more qualified as "edge of town", with it having retail premises on one side and residential on the other.

Dave

« Reply #1905 on: September 25, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
it doesn't matter if it's 300 m from the District Shopping or 3 miles.

Oh yes it does.  'Edge of town' developments (which Hibbert Lane would be, I think) are favoured over 'out of town' developments.  See, for example, http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/news/stories/2010/dec2010/9dec2010/091210_5

Victor M

« Reply #1904 on: September 25, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »
Do they actually have to? There are plenty of business outside the District Centre.

But if they do, is it really that hard?

The District Centre is an arbitrary line drawn around the existing businesses. Extending it only involves adding on a few hundred metres (it's not as if the proposed supermarket is in hawk green or rose hill).

Everything is decided in terms of planning, it doesn't matter if it's 300 m from the District Shopping or 3 miles. Also in Stockport's Development plan the land is designated as Housing. In order for the development to go ahead the District Centre would have to be redrawn and the Development plan altered. Both actions could result in an appeal being lodged.

marpleexile

« Reply #1903 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
The Council will have to change the designated District Centre to allow the Supermarket to be built.

Do they actually have to? There are plenty of business outside the District Centre.

But if they do, is it really that hard?

The District Centre is an arbitrary line drawn around the existing businesses. Extending it only involves adding on a few hundred metres (it's not as if the proposed supermarket is in hawk green or rose hill).

Victor M

« Reply #1902 on: September 25, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »
Planning permission has been submitted for an Aldi on the site of Offerton precinct (see DC/050745 or here), so with the Romiley and Hazel Grove stores surely this rules out another in Marple?

Aldi's business plan is a lot different to the major British Supermarket's. In Germany they don't have any large supermarket's (over 20,000 sq ft) and each supermarket is just built to cater for it's own locality. So an Aldi in Offerton, Romiley, Hazel Grove and MARPLE is perfectly feasible.

amazon

« Reply #1901 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

Waitrose seems to me to be overpriced and providing poor value for money and certainly of little appeal to the majority of Marple residents

I would rather have a Waitrose or M&S foodstore than an Aldi.

How can you back up your claim Wheels?

Doesn't matter as long as Asda come to town .

Tricky

« Reply #1900 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »

Waitrose seems to me to be overpriced and providing poor value for money and certainly of little appeal to the majority of Marple residents

I would rather have a Waitrose or M&S foodstore than an Aldi.

How can you back up your claim Wheels?
meh

wheels

« Reply #1899 on: September 24, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
Re: Chadwick Street as a possible Aldi

Planning permission has been submitted for an Aldi on the site of Offerton precinct (see DC/050745 or here), so with the Romiley and Hazel Grove stores surely this rules out another in Marple? A mini Waitrose would be far better for the town centre anyway, especially in terms of bringing in shoppers likely to support locally-owned shops.

Can only hope your wrong Waitrose seems to me to be overpriced and providing poor value for money and certainly of little appeal to the majority of Marple residents