Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701675 times)

sooty2

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
I see nothing at all from the estates committee amongst others have published this year.You'd think they would of put out a "pacifier" knowing of the unrest around Marple. Very odd me thinks?

Miss Marple

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
I have just been reading back through the Previous  posts on this topic and was shocked to note that The Business forum states that it's SEPTEMBER !! When they are going to get round to discussing the contingency plans if Tesco purchases the land   Now I'm not a butcher, baker or candle stick maker but even I'm shocked at their laissez-faire attitude towards the possible demise of small business in Marple so sorry but I will have to ask!   Business Forum what is your stance on Tesco coming to town and do you REALLY think something as important as this can wait till September  :-\. Just a thought  :-X

Miss Marple

« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »
I'm sure Marple is safe in your hands Miss Marple  ;D
Oh I am not sure about that Johnny Boy but I will do everything I can to oppose a land grabbing and land bagging giant like Tesco from destroying what's left of Marple And I hope I can count on your support  :-*

Johnnyboy

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
I'm sure Marple is safe in your hands Miss Marple  ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
Thanks SGK I have already requested those and the reasons why they were not published and awaiting the Principals return.   Fantastic how you have laid it all out Cheers  ;D. Looks like they do have something to hide ??

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
Miss Marple - in your next communication with our good friends at Cheadle+Marple College, could you ask them to publish the recent Corporation+Committee meeting minutes ?

They all (Audit Committee, Corporation Committee, Estates Committee, Finance & General Committee, Search + Governance Committee, Teaching Committee) used to get published at least 4 times a year, but nothing has been made available at all this year.  See Minutes page.

The last published minutes of the Estates Committee (17th June 2010) were particularly interesting, so could be worthwhile reading the subsequent ones.

The college are of course obliged legally to make such minutes available, see Instruments + Articles, so I'm sure it's just an oversight rather than a veil of secrecy descending upon any nefarious motives.

(3) The Corporation shall ensure that a copy of the draft or signed minutes of every meeting of the Corporation, under paragraph (1), shall be placed on the institution’s website, and shall, despite any rules the Corporation may make regarding the archiving of such material, remain on its website for a minimum period of 12 months.

Spot on SGK - the absence of minutes on the college web site is one of the things that will be included in the first letter to the College Principal, however your highlighting of the Instruments + Articles is a useful reference that we had not spotted. Any other suggestions are welcome too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
Miss Marple - in your next communication with our good friends at Cheadle+Marple College, could you ask them to publish the recent Corporation+Committee meeting minutes ?

They all (Audit Committee, Corporation Committee, Estates Committee, Finance & General Committee, Search + Governance Committee, Teaching Committee) used to get published at least 4 times a year, but nothing has been made available at all this year.  See Minutes page.

The last published minutes of the Estates Committee (17th June 2010) were particularly interesting, so could be worthwhile reading the subsequent ones.

The college are of course obliged legally to make such minutes available, see Instruments + Articles, so I'm sure it's just an oversight rather than a veil of secrecy descending upon any nefarious motives.

(3) The Corporation shall ensure that a copy of the draft or signed minutes of every meeting of the Corporation, under paragraph (1), shall be placed on the institution’s website, and shall, despite any rules the Corporation may make regarding the archiving of such material, remain on its website for a minimum period of 12 months.

Miss Marple

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
Yes Trixie, I was invited to last nights meeting but unfortunately could not attend because I  had a prior engagement with an Owl, it's the highlight of my month!  I do and will support the group and intend if a mutually convenient time is arranged  to attend the next meeting when that date is known. My opinion is , and it is only an opinion, that it is irrelevant at this stage to use the Freedom of Information act and wait for replies to letters.  It is nearly 2 months ago when I was alerted to the information that Tesco was interested in purchasing the sight. Heaven knows how much lead Tesco has on us now    We could in my opinion never stop Tesco from purchasing the site (see Andrew Bispham's early email) but what we could do is start letting Tesco or whoever know  that we have public opposition to them developing the site.  I am mindful that not everyone has access to the Internet or even a computer so the old fashioned way of getting the message out to the community has to be done the hard way IE door to door, signatures and just raising public awareness.  Having said all that the group that has set up can compliment this by doing the ground work on who owns this and that as it is all very useful information and will eventually prove a powerful tool but ,  my first intention is to start raising awareness via the local press and it is hoped that via the free paper all interested parties can be party to what's happening.  I have no intention whatsoever of entering into talks with Tesco about what we could get in exchange for allowing Tesco to move in which may in fact not go down well with some people.  My stance is that Tesco and the likes are not welcomed here and no matter what they promise in return for the disruption and loss of small shops would ever Change my opinion.  There has been some very informative posts on this subject like the one that highlighted the power of the community in Poynton and the one that showed that all the promises of new facilities and assurances from Tesco were after planning was granted forgotten.  I hope this has answered your question Trixie but Remember this is only my opinion and will not be shared by some of the community . :-\

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
The meeting was obviously a closed shop as I cannot see an open invitation.Yes I realise short notice,venue etc,Why was Miss M asked to attend?That in itself is not a problem as she has suggested a meeting on this forum.If it is not a too personal question? did you have a previous engagement?or would you prefer an on mass' protest/meeting? I think it is worth considering the thought that while everyone involved is "Going for Tesco" Morrisons,Asda etc could be sneaking in the back door unchallenged. A back door server you could say :o

The meeting was arranged at short notice and had to be held in the home of one of the residents organising it because an alternative venue could not be found. An open invitation was not a practical option, nor particularly desirable at this stage because so few facts are available. The first objective is to try and find out some facts that can then be shared with the wider community. It was suggested that Miss M be invited because of her obvious interest in doing something about this issue, which is plain to see from her forum posts. I approached Miss M through the forum and she agreed that I could pass on her details so that invite could be sent. A similar invite was sent to Victor M for the same reasons but unfortunately he had a prior engagement and could not attend.

I think your other questions are addressed to Miss M.

With regard to your final point - that's a good one and it is recognised that although Tescos is always cited in the rumours the others are possible candidates too. The approach to seeking information will take that into account.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
The meeting was obviously a closed shop as I cannot see an open invitation.Yes I realise short notice,venue etc,Why was Miss M asked to attend?That in itself is not a problem as she has suggested a meeting on this forum.If it is not a too personal question? did you have a previous engagement?or would you prefer an on mass' protest/meeting? I think it is worth considering the thought that while everyone involved is "Going for Tesco" Morrisons,Asda etc could be sneaking in the back door unchallenged. A back door server you could say :o

Johnnyboy

« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »
Post overwritten as it has no relevance to the topic. Admin.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
That's great !!!  The more people asking questions and organising themselves must be better than just waiting for the deed to be done.  I thought at one point I was talking to myself , well done for getting involved  Can you keep us all up to speed by printing the minuets of the meetings and all correspondence on the site so everyones informed as to how it's developing   And thanks for the straw poll which speaks for itself ! Fantastic stuff !

I'm not sure why you thought you were talking to yourself as you were invited to last night's meeting and decided not to attend. I think that was a shame. Some aspects of a campaign like is now getting underway would be far better if coordinated together rather than independently - such as requests made under the freedom of information act for example. It can be a problem if two sources request the same information and they can also be played off against each other. I still think it would be of all-round benefit for you to become involved with this group and I know that you would be welcomed as this was discussed too.

Whatever you decide with regard to that, the group has agreed to try and support you as much as it can even if you choose to "go it alone". However, it is important to be well prepared for meetings with the college and council, especially in public. The people that attended last night are well placed to try and encourage the support that is almost certainly going to be needed from many of our local community groups and will hope to do so once some facts have been established.

As regards keeping everyone up to speed - I did say in my earlier message that all correspondence will be published on-line and letters will be made available as soon as they have been drafted and agreed. An open and transparent approach will be taken. I hope you will continue to share any information that you obtain too, as you have done to date.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
That's great !!!  The more people asking questions and organising themselves must be better than just waiting for the deed to be done.  I thought at one point I was talking to myself , well done for getting involved  Can you keep us all up to speed by printing the minuets of the meetings and all correspondence on the site so everyones informed as to how it's developing   And thanks for the straw poll which speaks for itself ! Fantastic stuff !  I'm off to lie down now with a damp tea towel on my head it's been hard convincing people that I am not in the early stages of dementia  ;D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »
Isn't it strange that the Peacefield school site hasn't been snapped up,or has it? It is obviously very well situated for the redevelopment of CAMSFC If the Hibbert Lane site is sold.Does anyone know who owns the Hibbert Lane campus land?The LEA,SMBC or the college itself maybe.I for one hope it is not SMBC or it could be a case of Signed ,Sealed, Delivered  Tesco's  yours!

A group of concerned residents got together last night to discuss the rumours about the sale of the college site. The first step agreed was to write to a number of organisations including the college and the council to try and establish some hard facts about the situation. These will include questions about the present ownership of the campus land and the history of ownership and transfer details. When the letters have been sent they will be published on the web site for everyone to see, as will any replies that are received.

With regard to the Peacefield site - I have been told by a number of sources that this land cannot be built on for 10 years and believe this to be true, although I must admit I don't understand the reasons why this is the case. I have been told that MESS (www.marple-uk.com/mess) would like to turn the Peacefield site into allotments because there is a huge waiting list for these in the area.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »
Isn't it strange that the Peacefield school site hasn't been snapped up,or has it?It is obviously very well situated for the redevelopment of CAMSFC If the Hibbert Lane site is sold.Does anyone know who owns the Hibbert Lane campus land?The LEA,SMBC or the college itself maybe.I for one hope it is not SMBC or it could be a case of Signed ,Sealed, Delivered  Tesco's  yours!