Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701976 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
Hi Duke Fame I agree with what you are saying but the only concern I have are the words ' No Formal' to me, but I could be wrong, means that the proposals are not in the formal planning stage but that they could be in pre planning, which no one will get to know about until they are at the formal planning stage.  :-\

Duke Fame

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
Sorry forgot to ask if people on the site are interested in attending the meeting ( you can remain anonymous ) if so will you post and let me know or send me a personal email

I'd certainly attend but I do think we must not jump to conclusions, he's indicated to you that there are a number of interested parties. The assumption is it's goign to be some huge Tesco. I think it's an excellent opportunity to offer an opinion as to what would be acceptable in terms of development. It's fairly obvious that the college would like to cash in their chips in some way and that is not going to be some altrusitic action that doesn't raise any money.

Miss Marple

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
Sorry forgot to ask if people on the site are interested in attending the meeting ( you can remain anonymous ) if so will you post and let me know or send me a personal email

Miss Marple

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
I have just received a telephone call from Andrew Hubert (Finance ) Ridge College who stated that no formal proposals have been submitted to the council but that they have been involved with various interested developers.   I have asked if he would agree to attend a public meeting whereby all local residents can hear what proposals have been made from interested parties   Mr Hubert agreed that it would be possible to attend a public meeting but will have to check this out with the principal of the school who is not around until next week,and that he would get back to me.
It is hoped that the Libaray would be a possible venue I will await the agreement of the principal prior to booking the room
I have also contacted our local reporter who has been following the development on this site and I hope that we can work closely with all relevant people to ensure that Local People have a say in what's happening in our community, Village , Town or whatever

Duke Fame

« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
I for one say that there should be no development on the site and the land used for the youth of Marple For which there is nothing !

That's just unrealistic. There are two options:

i - The college continues as it is (although perhaps selling part of the unused grounds may help)
ii - It sells the plot for commercial development.

For most, (i) is favorable. Certainly the grounds to the left of the college seem wasted and the college could raise funds by selling this for housing, business or even a small supermarket. There doesn't seem to be the pressure on the finances for the college in the same way Stockport College has got itself into a mess. The reason is more likely to be that it hasn't got itself into grandiose schemes. However, if the "objection group" suggest a level of development that they feel is acceptable, perhaps the college may go for the path of least resistance.

(ii) appears most likely, For me a 'big' supermarket is not needed, the co-op pretty much do all that is required and Tesco are hardly likely to offer better prices + they have a store just off the A6. There will be significant traffic and I think that is where the best objection lies. I’d prefer a mix of housing and light industrial / business premises on the site if it were to be sold.

Duke Fame

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:26 AM »
Off-topic posts overwritten. Please stay on topic. Admin.

Duke Fame

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54:43 AM »
Truth is though that people shop differently nowadays..

I've lived in Marple almost all my 43yrs but Mrs Tricky and I simply don't have the time to shop in the same way as people (with no other choice) once had to do.

Most local traders, whilst I wish them well, simply can't offer the flexibility in opening hours that I, and so many people, require.

We mostly 'shop' online after the kids have gone to bed, and then we have it delivered at a time that suits us. This, to me, just seems so civilised! (& I hate shopping to be fair)

I'm not totally sure why I should feel I have to pay more for my goods just because they are sold to me by someone who has a shop in the village. Sorry.

That is a fair point, both myself and the Duchess of Fame get home at 7.30 - 8pm & the shops are all shut except the co-op.

Perhaps the traders ass'n need to organise themselves for havinga late night Thursday where all the food shops open late. This would perhaps put Tesco off on a commercial basis ratehr than a NImby basis

Miss Marple

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
Off-topic post overwritten. Please stay on topic. Admin

Miss Marple

« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
Just been speaking to a friend and local resident of Marple  who attended the last area council meeting in Marple.  My friend and a group of concerned residents had attended the meeting due to wanting the councillors to take action on Church Lane in Marple where HGVs are mounting the pavement as they try to negotiate the small one way road which is often lined with parked cars.   The residents were requesting various options to stop the heavy traffic but were informed that at present no monies were available to undertake any kind of modifications.   Later outside the meeting my friend and a group of residents were speaking to a council official from the Highways Dept who informed them quite openly that Tesco had already put forward proposals to purchase the Hibbert Lane site and if granted Tesco would fund road improvements in the area.  My friend wants to point out that this was said outside the meeting to a small group of around 6 local residents and not in the meeting or in front of the Councillors  :-\.  Seems like it may already be done and dusted  :o

Tricky

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Truth is though that people shop differently nowadays..

I've lived in Marple almost all my 43yrs but Mrs Tricky and I simply don't have the time to shop in the same way as people (with no other choice) once had to do.

Most local traders, whilst I wish them well, simply can't offer the flexibility in opening hours that I, and so many people, require.

We mostly 'shop' online after the kids have gone to bed, and then we have it delivered at a time that suits us. This, to me, just seems so civilised! (& I hate shopping to be fair)

I'm not totally sure why I should feel I have to pay more for my goods just because they are sold to me by someone who has a shop in the village. Sorry.
meh

Trader

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
I was interested in the various replies re Tesco but amazed to think that some people imagine that having a Tescos or other larger supermarket would not impact on the future of local businesses either within Marple or the surrounding area.  Why do people think that local villages are declining - mainly because these large supermarkets have opened up, stock everything that local businesses sell and buy at a far cheaper price than local shop-keepers can purchase them for as they buy in bulk!!  Local traders cannot compete with these people.  They may bring money and improvements to the area but they also force out the local traders - once your local traders have disappeared there will be no bringing them back - they cannot compete!! Think very seriously before this is approved it may bring money to the college which in a way I don't blame them but Marple village will decline more than it is now.

Jo Scarlett

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »
In response to 'marpudlian' ........

More council housing is not the answer, this would only create problems for our community.  Affordable housing is what is required, this would enable the young families of Marple to stay in Marple and bring their own children up here.

How can you say that the swimming pool is a drain on resources....... do you go often?  Every morning the 3 or 4 local primary schools use the pool to provide swimming lessons for the children.  Most afternoons the pool operates swimming lesssons, most having waiting lists.  During the day there are swimtots and public swimming for everyone and as a user of the pool I can confirm that these sessions are well attended.  Within the swimming pool complex there is also a VERY well attended gym.  There are sessions for all ages and persons rehabilitating from injuries etc attending both the pool and gym.

I for one, feel that there are many benefits to living in Marple, we have our own cinema, we have our own shopping centre, we have parks and canals, we have our own swimming pool and all these places make Marple a great place to live.   Whilst I agree that the pool probably does cost more to run than it should do, that's simply down to poor management from the local authority as a little money spent every year would have helped to keep it in a good state of repair, instead of it now needing a total overhaul.  The pool creates a place to meet for many and I often see people during the day sitting having a coffee after they've been for a swim.

As for building a TESCO in Marple -  I would strongly object to this.  I agree that competition is good for retailers, but it would kill off many retailers on Market Street and I doubt would have a huge impact on the Coop.  I wish the Coop hadn't moved across the road to Hollins Lane from Market Street, as this split peoples shopping habits and took custom off the retailers on Market Street.  I use Tesco for my main shop but am happy to go to Stockport or Handforth or use internet shopping rather than have one on my doorstep with the additional traffic it would bring into Marple.

A separate topic has been created for discussion of closing Marple swimming pool (and library). Admin.

marpudlian

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2011, 12:05:32 AM »
Although I would prefer to see more council housing being built on the site of the college, I fully support the prospect of a new Tesco.

Marple needs another supermarket.
Competition is healthy for businesses.
More people will come to Marple.
Jobs will be created.
The swimming pool will close (it is just a drain on finances).

madgranite

« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
Dear all,

I'm a new member to the forum and have recently got wind of the Tesco saga through my neighbours in Hawk Green.  I am totally against Tesco (or any other) supermarket moving into Marple.  Have you heard anything more by way of petitions, etc? I have been on the Stockport Council planning pages and cannot see any submissions (yet). Tesco cannot be allowed to get their grubby hands on Marple...

Brett

tina

« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
is it just me or do others shake their head when Miss Marple posts on here? I'm all for tradition but life moves on and  for the future generations buildings have to be knocked down or built.  I was born here in Marple and will no doubt die here, I have no plans to leave.

I would like another supermarket in Marple, I think it is something we need. I'm not saying I think it should be on Hibbert Lane but in Marple. I try to shop local but refuse to do my weekly shop in the co-op.