Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 74878 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Noticed that the famer on Dan Bank has used his 30 pieces of silver to re roof his house  :-[
He is entitled to do as he pleases with his own money. And anyway, I understand that he didn't have much choice in the matter. If he'd refused to accept the money the job would have gone ahead anyway.

The Dan Bank problem has been maundering on since just before the war so it's probably about time something was done. There was a report in, I think, 1938 (?) that said the road was in imminent danger of collapsing into the river.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
The re-planting of Dan Bank will commence on Monday 21st March and continue over the next few weeks as the site is progressively released for planting by the main contractor. Read more about it and follow the progress on Myers Tree Care's web site:

http://www.myerstreecare.co.uk/danbank.html
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
DAN BANK CLOSURE – SUNDAY 20 MARCH

As you will be aware, final work to stabilise and improve Stockport Road at Dan Bank began on 31 January 2011 and was planned to be completed on 27 March 2011. It has been necessary during this work to close the road between 7pm and 6am every evening during, except on Sundays.

Over the past two days, the team working at Dan Bank has found a surface water drain that was not recorded on any maps; as such, they were not able to plan the necessary work with this drain location in mind. So that work can finish on the original expected date of 27 March, it is now necessary that Stockport Road at Dan Bank is closed between 7pm and 6am on Sunday 20 March.

Electronic signs will be placed on the approaches to Dan Bank to let those travelling in the area know that the road will be closed on Sunday.  Community Access Points, as well as buses that travel along Stockport Road at Dan Bank, will be given posters to display.

Stockport Council would like to thank those who live or work near to Dan Bank and all those who regularly travel along Stockport Road for their patience during these important works. As they continue, we will send further updates to let you know how the works are progressing.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

belleesummerbee

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
 I am refering to compstall brow not dan bank .have a look if your coming down that way[ trees on the right as you come down .]would you fancy it in a gale ]

Compstall Brow or Dan Bank i still don't understand your logic. If we use your analogy, any tree on higher ground within falling distance of a target would have to be removed? Under their duty of care landowners need to ensure trees within their ownership are safe, better to remove those which are dead dying or dangerous (DDD) rather wholesale removal. We have experienced a large number of gales over the last few years the majority of those trees which have failed was due to their condition (DDD)

amazon

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
Sorry don't agree the trees on the left as you come down need some of them  removing they are higher than the road any strong winds they will be down across the road . busy road some one could be killed .few years ago one came down just missed a bus road blocked for hours  .

Not sure of your logic, why will trees fall over in strong winds if they are on ground higher than the road?

The tree which fell across the road a number of years ago had a fungal infection which caused the root system to decay, that's why it failed not because it was on higher ground.

I would be more concerned that the trees which remain on both side of the road have lost the mutual protection afforded by the felled woodland edges. The large Beech tree located on the right when exiting Marple opposite Dan Bank (cul-de-sac) has also lost a large percentage of its root system to the realigned wall.

I am refering to compstall brow not dan bank .have a look if your coming down that way[ trees on the right as you come down .]would you fancy it in a gale ]

Duke Fame

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
Has this issue not got a bit clouded, what does everyone want? The one major road out of Marple made safe and remaining open or all the trees left in tack and the road closed, you can't have your cake and eat it!

I really think the whole moan-in has got out of hand. Yes, it's terrible that there are so many cars coming up & down the road but nobody wants to give up their car. If we need a car, we need a road, if we need a road, we need to have a clearing to make the road.

My neighbour but a few had a VOTE GREEN boaard outside his house during the election, the fella has two cars on his drive, how hypocritical is that!!!

For all the do-gooders around, they need to be practical.

Victor M

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
Has this issue not got a bit clouded, what does everyone want? The one major road out of Marple made safe and remaining open or all the trees left in tack and the road closed, you can't have your cake and eat it!

belleesummerbee

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
Sorry don't agree the trees on the left as you come down need some of them  removing they are higher than the road any strong winds they will be down across the road . busy road some one could be killed .few years ago one came down just missed a bus road blocked for hours  .

Not sure of your logic, why will trees fall over in strong winds if they are on ground higher than the road?

The tree which fell across the road a number of years ago had a fungal infection which caused the root system to decay, that's why it failed not because it was on higher ground.

I would be more concerned that the trees which remain on both side of the road have lost the mutual protection afforded by the felled woodland edges. The large Beech tree located on the right when exiting Marple opposite Dan Bank (cul-de-sac) has also lost a large percentage of its root system to the realigned wall.

Rachael

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:41 PM »
Sorry dont agree the trees on the left as you come down need some of them  removing they are higher than the road any strong winds they will be down across the road . busy road some one could be killed .few years ago one came down just missed a bus road blocked for hours  .

I was thinking the same thing the other day about some of the trees, the bank looks too steep for them trees to remain stable :(

amazon

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
Sorry dont agree the trees on the right as you come down need some of them  removing they are higher than the road any strong winds they will be down across the road . busy road some one could be killed .few years ago one came down just missed a bus road blocked for hours  .

Barbara

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Hear, hear!   :D

badger

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
When driving up Dan Bank at weekend I couldn't help but look at the fabulous new look to the entrance to Marple, and thought this is an excellent and airy look it has been given rather than the old ivy strangled tatty trees, the new trees will complement the new look even further well done to all concerned,

bluebelly

« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
drove up the other day could not belive what has happened.i go through romiley usually up compstall brow,please dont let this happen here. the trees in the different seasons bring so much colour , it would be tragic to lose them.the marple area is unique,lets keep it that way.

Duke Fame

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
Noticed that the famer on Dan Bank has used his 30 pieces of silver to re roof his house  :-[

Can you prove what money he actually used to repair his roof?

If I had received the money, I'd have bought a sports car so a roof repair is fairly ecologically sound.

I think the residents have to be realistic about all this. If it's not done, the road subsides and homes will no doubt be damaged, I'm not exactly sure what the concerns are, is it just the fact you've lost a bit of folliage?
I take it your not a local  ???

I'm not about to take the precious things but I do live in Marple now.

amazon

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Noticed that the Farmer on Dan Bank has used his 30 pieces of silver to re roof his House :-[
IF the work being done is with his '30 pieces of silver' then Is it not better to use the money on home improvements?
You would soon kick off if you found out he went on holiday or got a sports car...  just a thought!'

Oh no !!  He will need a new roof because when that wind blows down the valley his house will now take the full force of mother nature due to the missing trees that used to protect the farm house from the element's :D

wont your house become a bit drafty now.