Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Closing of Marple's Public Toilets  (Read 44094 times)

marveld

Re: Closing of Marple's Public Toilets
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
I spoke to our Marple street cleaner today and he was able to provide info about the public toilets near Derby Way –

The disabled toilet is out of order due to a drainage problem. The gents are closed because the flush facility in the cubical is damaged. A plumber was called out by the council and tried to repair things last week. The problem is with a metal push button on the wall that operates the flush. Spare parts are no longer available, so it's not an easy fix. I assume the council have been given alternatives / costs to consider. There appears to be no good reason for leaving the urinals open with a sign to say the cubical is broken. Instead, the gents are completely closed.

marveld

« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
Adrian, I took admin's advice (see above) and emailed Cllr Shan Alexander and Megan Black regarding the gents' facilities near Derby Way. I checked the toilets today and they are still closed. It's been a week I have not yet received an email reply. I will post again if I get any news.

Adrian Taylor

« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
Closing public toilets in Marple and replacing them with so called "Community Tolets"is a bad decision. I together with others have met with SMBC and the Executive Council member for the Environment to find a solution which might benefit the council tax payer, that's all of us who own and fund public toilets. I've no doubt that at some stage the Council will describe these meetings as consultation meetings where at the end of the day the Community has agreed the decision.
The location of these Community Toilets is unclear and are not signposted, visitors and residents will have to walk around Marple trying to find one.
How long is the business contract for?
What facilities are available for the disabled?
The premises owner has the right to refuse entry !!
What sacrifices are SMBC making themselves concerning savings eg why do we have 3 ward councillors when 2 would achieve the same thing? are they going to cut their allowances? - We're all in it together are'nt we - but some are more in it than others !!!
The other day I visited Derby Way car park and needed the toilet, glancing to one side I noted that the ladies was open. To my horror the gents in the same block was locked. What kind of policy is that? No notice was on display stating whether or not the toilet was "Out of Order. Does'nt the man or woman who opens the toilets have a key for the gents?
I attended the Stockport CAB AGM on Wednesday in Fred Perry House. Now the CAB do excellent work in supporting the Community but was it necessary to lay on after the meeting a lavish buffet with wine described as lunch - no austerity there then !!!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
I haven't reported it. I assume someone is on the case because there is a notice informing the public they are currently out of service!

The way the council are operating at the moment I believe that they won't repair the gents unless people make a fuss like FOMMP, other Community Groups and local people have over the park toilets. They are hoping that these toilets will be replaced by "Community Toilets" and will (in my opinion) take the view that no complaints about them being shut means nobody is bothered.

The toilets on Derby Way have baby change facilities and disabled access. I think it's important that IF they are replaced by "Community Toilets" then those special facilities are still provided.

I'm surprised and disappointed that local businesses and groups like the Community Council aren't making more of a fuss about the potential loss of these facilities.

If you think it's important then complain. The key contacts are Cllr Shan Alexander Executive Member for the Environment and Megan Black, Interim Head of Public Realm.

cllr.shan.alexander@stockport.gov.uk

megan.black@stockport.gov.uk
Exactly. Make it harder for them to ignore you than it is to do what you want. (AKA Nag!)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
I haven't reported it. I assume someone is on the case because there is a notice informing the public they are currently out of service!

The way the council are operating at the moment I believe that they won't repair the gents unless people make a fuss like FOMMP, other Community Groups and local people have over the park toilets. They are hoping that these toilets will be replaced by "Community Toilets" and will (in my opinion) take the view that no complaints about them being shut means nobody is bothered.

The toilets on Derby Way have baby change facilities and disabled access. I think it's important that IF they are replaced by "Community Toilets" then those special facilities are still provided.

I'm surprised and disappointed that local businesses and groups like the Community Council aren't making more of a fuss about the potential loss of these facilities.

If you think it's important then complain. The key contacts are Cllr Shan Alexander Executive Member for the Environment and Megan Black, Interim Head of Public Realm.

cllr.shan.alexander@stockport.gov.uk

megan.black@stockport.gov.uk
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marveld

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »

Howard

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
The male toilet facilities in the car park near Derby Way have been out of order for well over a week now. Pretty poor show that these facilities are not being repaired promptly!  >:(

When did you report it?

marveld

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
The male toilet facilities in the car park near Derby Way have been out of order for well over a week now. Pretty poor show that these facilities are not being repaired promptly!  >:(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »
This is a copy of the update posted on the Friends of Memorial Park web site www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/park-toilets.html about the ongoing discussions to keep the park toilets open:

A follow-up meeting to discuss progress on the proposals for keeping the park toilets open was scheduled with Councillor Alexander and her Environmental Officers for last Friday (16 September). The meeting had been arranged since 15 July but was cancelled via email by the council with less then 48 hours notice:

Dear All

I write further to our meeting of 15th July 2011 when we agreed to a further meeting on Friday 16th September.

I am able to confirm that the Memorial Park toilets will be retained and will transfer to parks (Monday to Friday) - we are still considering the opening of the facility at weekends.

I can also advise that we meet separately with the allotment holders and carnival organisers about the facilities at Rosehill. They accept these facilities are closing.

With the agreement of Cllr Alexander we are cancelling the meeting on Friday. We feel the meetings have been a success and want to thank you for your contribution in concluding this matter.

Regards

Megan Black, Interim Head of Public Realm, Stockport Council

It is very good news that the council have responded to the public outcry over the potential closure of the park toilets by finding a way to prevent them from closing altogether AND to keep them open on weekdays. This is a very positive outcome of the campaign supported by thousands of local people but it is also very important that the toilet facilities are made available at weekends too, when they probably see the highest demand from families and people of all ages using the park.

Friends of Memorial Park, Marple Civic Society and Marple Carnival Committee decided to proceed with the 16 September meeting anyway, as it was felt that it would be of benefit to discuss the options for achieving opening of the toilets on weekends. Councillor Alexander and her officers were advised of this and told that their attendance would be welcomed. A reply was received from Councillor Alexander saying: “I have not given up looking for alternative means to keep the toilet open on Saturday. I do not see the point in meeting, only to agree this point.”

The meeting went ahead without any representatives of the council present and it was agreed to convey the conclusions of those discussions to Cllr Alexander and her Environmental Officers as follows:

Dear Shan

Re: Public toilets in Marple Memorial Park

We (Mark Whittaker, John Wright and Alan Postill) met on Friday to discuss progress in our campaign to keep open the public toilets in the Memorial Park.

We are pleased that the council have made arrangements to keep the toilets open on weekdays by transferring responsibility to the Parks and Recreation department. However, we would like to stress that we consider weekend opening is essential because of the high number of visitors to the park at weekends. Many of these weekend visitors are families and older people for whom public toilet facilities are particularly important.

We have made suggestions previously on how weekend opening could be achieved; these include:

· Library staff could open and close the toilets on Saturdays

· Weekend duty staff could open and close the toilets on Saturday and Sunday

We are sure that the council will have its own ideas too and we are pleased that you and the officers are still investigating how weekend opening can be achieved. We suggest that we should meet with you in 4 to 6 weeks to review progress on this important issue.

In the meantime we assume that the toilets will remain open 7 days per week until this outstanding matter is resolved.

Regards

Mark Whittaker (Friends of Marple Memorial Park)

John Wright (Chairman-Marple Carnival Committee)

Alan Postill (Marple Civic Society)

At the time of posting this update no response has been received from Cllr. Alexander or the Officers. It is reasonable to give them some time to do so and we hope the response will be positive. As soon as we know more we will do our best to advise the huge number of local people interested in this issue what is to happen next.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
Even the dogs are to lose their toilets, in order to save £41,000.

Stockport Express, 31st August 2011, All dog waste bins will be removed from parks.

Seems sensible

Why encourage dog owners to collect their pet's mess by having dog waste bins, what's the worst that could happen ?

Oh, errr, this : Manchester toddler left partially blind after falling in dog mess.

Duke Fame

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »

Stockport Express, 31st August 2011, All dog waste bins will be removed from parks.

Seems sensible

sgk

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »

Dave

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
Here's a link to the sale particulars:  http://www.nps.co.uk/whatwedo/25/propertysearch/213/

They are described as 'former public conveniences', but I have very recently made good use of the Derby Way car park loo, and the one at Mellor Rec.   ::)

chicken lady

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
with a toilet perhaps?

Miss Marple

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »
There is a for sale / lease notice on the toilets at the Rose Hill end of the Middlewood Way. Any takers?

It could make an interesting tourist and information centre ?