Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Closing of Marple's Public Toilets  (Read 44088 times)

chicken lady

Re: Closing of Marple's Public Toilets
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
There is a for sale / lease notice on the toilets at the Rose Hill end of the Middlewood Way. Any takers?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »
Oldknow Road / Recreation Ground
This toilet is to be closed. It is expected that the building will put up for sale.

The mind boggles!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
Hi just a matter of intrest what is the building on the Rec being sold as. Silly question I know but is it for a privately run toilet

As an opportunity I think, although I'm not quite sure what opportunities there might be. I don't believe a privately run toilet would be viable and I'm not sure that anything would to be honest. I guess that is up to potential buyers.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
Hi just a matter of intrest what is the building on the Rec being sold as. Silly question I know but is it for a privately run toilet

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »
This is a copy of the update posted on the Friends of Memorial Park web site www.marplememorialpark.org.uk about the ongoing discussions to keep the park toilets open:

On Friday 15 July a second meeting took place between Cllr Shan Alexander, Environmental Officers from the council and representatives of Marple Community Council, Marple Carnival Committee, Marple Veteran Bowling Club, Marple Civic Society and Friends of Marple Memorial Park.

The council have reviewed the ideas and suggestions discussed at the meeting on 10 June and have made progress by identifying a solution to the cleaning of the toilets on weekdays that will utilise the same resources that service the Senior Citizens Hall, Library and Council Offices toilets.

It was agreed that the Veterans Bowling Club will have a key to the toilets and shall take responsibility for opening and closing them on Wednesday evenings in the summer when they hold their matches.

Opening and closing of the toilets during weekdays is currently being discussed internally within the council. If this can be concluded successfully it will secure use of the toilets from Monday to Friday each week. A further meeting has been arranged for mid September to review progress and in the meantime the toilets will continue to be cleaned, opened and closed under the existing arrangements until the end of September.

It is the view of the groups represented at the meeting that when solutions to the weekday usage of the toilets are in place and the facilities secured it will be possible to investigate ways to open the toilets on weekends and special occasions too.

The situation regarding other public toilets in the area were also discussed at this meeting and these are summarised below. If you would like to comment on any of these please start a new topic:

Oldknow Road / Recreation Ground
This toilet is to be closed. It is expected that the building will put up for sale.

Derby Way
The council’s current plan is to close this toilet once three community toilets are established. Two agreements are in place with premises on Derby Way and Stockport Road and a third is under discussion. The group stressed to the council the importance of replacing the existing disabled toilet and baby changing facilities with equivalent or better services and the council acknowledged this. The two premises currently agreed do not have disabled access or baby changing facilities. If the toilet is closed it is planned to demolish it and increase parking spaces.

Rosehill / Middlewood Way
This toilet is currently closed due to vandalism and the council have been holding off on repairs pending the establishment of community toilets to replace it. At present only one community toilet has been established in this general area at the Marple Tavern and investigation of other options is ongoing. It was suggested that the toilet must be repaired if alternatives are not in place within three months and the council acknowledged this. The council is to hold a separate meeting with Marple Carnival Committee and Allotment users to discuss these toilets further.

Mellor
The toilet is to be closed. Alternative facilities will be provided by the Devonshire Arms.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alan@marple

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Ok, the FOMMP web site is now updated:

www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/park-toilets.html

and the same information has been added to the on-line petition blog:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/memorial-park-toilets/blog

Here's the letter that accompanied formal issue of the petition to Cllr Alexander:

http://www.marple-uk.com/misc/FOMMP-letter-to-cllr-alexander.pdf

Thank you everyone who helped collect the signatures on the paper petition. Please carry on signing the on-line version. You can also now post comments on the petition blog (I think).
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2011, 06:00:37 AM »
There was a meeting between Cllr Shan Alexander, Environmental Officers and representatives of Marple Community Council, Marple Carnival Committee, Marple Veteran Bowling Club, Marple Civic Society and Friends of Marple Memorial Park yesterday. More details will be added here and to the FOMMP web site within the next few days but in summary I would say that the park toilets are not yet saved. They will be open for this year's Carnival and the meeting was successful in reinforcing how strongly the local community feel about their potential closure. A number of ideas and suggestions were discussed and the council have gone away to look into these further and will be reporting back to the same group in a month's time. I would say that the general feeling after the meeting was encouraging but we are not out of the woods yet.

The paper petition and the on-line petition, particularly the comments made by hundreds of local people, have been instrumental in driving home how strongly the community feels about this. I would encourage folks to continue adding their signatures and comments to the on-line petition and to write/email to Cllr Alexander to reinforce the message between now and mid July.

I would also say don't let the fact that you have signed the paper petition stop you from adding your signature to the on-line one, especially if you have comments that you would like to share.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/memorial-park-toilets/

Incidentally, some of you may have noticed a request for a donation from the petition web site after adding your signatures. This comes up once your signature has been posted and can be ignored. Just navigate away from the page if you reach this request form (although you can make a donation of course if you would like to support the petition site).

Heard that toilets are to remain open ?  Has anyone heard how the situation now stands
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
Heard that toilets are to remain open ?  Has anyone heard how the situation now stands

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Plants now delivered, come and help us tomorrow in Memorial Park, as long as you like between 10am and 1pm  :D
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »
A notice on the closed Rose Hill toilets at the end of Middlewood Way kindly informs that we can find replacement facilities at... The Marple Tavern, 120 Cross Lane! That's a good half a mile away and more than a small diversion off the path up Wood Lane. And no good to anyone before midday.

Meanwhile,  seem to have no problem continuing to provide toilets out at Nelson Pit and Bollington...

Been up that way today  noticed they still have there flower beds to complete  with flowers .

rsh

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
A notice on the closed Rose Hill toilets at the end of Middlewood Way kindly informs that we can find replacement facilities at... The Marple Tavern, 120 Cross Lane! That's a good half a mile away and more than a small diversion off the path up Wood Lane. And no good to anyone before midday.

Meanwhile, Macclesfield seem to have no problem continuing to provide toilets out at Nelson Pit and Bollington...

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »
Saw a petition form in Crafty Ladies too ( that is what its called isnt it? )

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
The Friends of the Park website has been updated with the latest information, which in summary is that Cllr. Stuart Bodsworth, who has still not acknowledged any of the information sent to him, is no longer Executive Member for the Environment. This role has now been taken over by Marple Councillor Shan Alexander and the FOMMP will be meeting with her in early June to discus the situation.

In the meantime, please keep signing and commenting on the on-line petition or calling into Stationery Supplies to sign the paper version and write to Cllr. Alexander if you feel strongly about this issue.

http://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/park-toilets.html
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

kookie

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »
I recently went to Edgeley where I found the the toilet block closed. I trailed the lengh of Castle Street looking for signs to say which three premises had been nominated as suitable for use by the public. I saw nothing. I went into a pub which was open all day but felt uncomfortable and apologetic walking across the room and back again under the watchful eyes of the customers.
What will happen when the owners of allocated premises decide they don't wish to carry on with the scheme and the council cannot find alternative premises. Protect your public toilets before it's too late. When they are gone, it will be the devil's own job to get them re-instated. Private owners are under no obligation to carry on with the scheme!