Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Buzzards  (Read 1834 times)

nbt

Re: Buzzards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »
We've noticed the buzzards along the whole of the goyt valley, there seems to be a breed based somwehere around the quarry part of Offerton Sand and Gravel

Yesterday we were lucky enough to see a kestrel really low in Bramhall as we came home, thinking back it is some time since I've seen a kestrel locally. We do get a sparrowhawk in the garden quite frequently, which is a wonderful sight
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Buzzards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
Mrs Whit and I have noticed them too when we've been walking in the valley and also when we've had a meal in front of the fantastic picture windows at the Sportsman. But following your post Dave I had an email from a member of Marple Naturalists, who watches but doesn't post, that says:

In your forum Dave comments on seeing four buzzards on Monday. The buzzard population is increasing rapidly at the expense of the kestrel , at one time seen frequently from nests in the Goyt Mill and generally over motorways but now nearly an endangered species.

Every silver lining has a cloud it seems :(

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

Buzzards
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »
For those of us who like birds, the gradual return of buzzards to this area has been a welcome development in recent years.   :)  Normally they are seen in ones and twos, but on Monday there were four wheeling round above the Goyt Valley between Strines and Mellor.  Is this a record?