A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site  (Read 49695 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
I think the car park is owned by the coal board not the coop

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
I've also merged an even older Hanburys topic from 2003 with these.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
I see that the last post from 2005, which appears to be from the Letting Agent's notice, has the clause:

USER RESTRICTION
No part of the property shall be used as a supermarket.

Looks like the Co-op are intent on keeping their stranglehold on Marple.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »
I've merged the main old Hanburys topic from 2004 with this one.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
Duke...why do you keep saying that a supermarket where Hanburys used to be has already failed?

Anyone who was living local when Hanburys used to be there will tell you that it was popular and well used. It is a mystery why Hanburys disappeared.

If it became a supermarket again, it would be healthy competition for the co-op and its right in the centre of Marple and people could be really cheeky and use the co-op car park.

I'm slightly devil's advocat as this is the argument that will be put forward by any would be developer of the Hibbert Lane site. I'm also reletively new to the area and if a planning application was escalated it would be dealt with by someone who isn't aware of / nor care about any historyof the shop. If an argument is put forward that the Hanburys store is viable then we will have to come up with a reason why it closed. "Forced out by the co-op over-charging rent" will be a valid reason "mystery" will not wash I'm afraid.

The Co-op car park can be used but, there is still the laziness issue.

It's not where I would open a supermarket shop if I were associated Dairies or anyone else.

amazon

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
Duke...why do you keep saying that a supermarket where Hanburys used to be has already failed?

Anyone who was living local when Hanburys used to be there will tell you that it was popular and well used. It is a mystery why Hanburys disappeared.

If it became a supermarket again, it would be healthy competition for the co-op and its right in the centre of Marple and people could be really cheeky and use the co-op car park.

Because the coop bought HANBURYS  they had a few branches closed them .   

Harry

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
Its not large enough to be a supermarket, its convenience store size at best. Don't forget that when it was Hanburys it was larger. The bookies next door was a part of it.

Taurus

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »

Duke Fame

Re: Co-Op and "c" site
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
I believe its a fact the coop own it.. its a fact they ve refused to lease it to anyone else. Its a fact that its spent several years empty regardless of interest in leasing it from other businesses.  Its a presumption based on strong factual evidence that they do it on purpose to stop competition :D

Two stories here, Mark says they lease it & you say they own it. Whoever the owner is, it's on the market to Let which suggests it is available (admittedly the rent may be too high but the owner is in good company there - retail premises are way over-priced in Marple)

I just don't see it as a viable supermarket. The arguments against are no car - parking. Crossing a busy road with bags to carparks / preceinct. supermarket already failed on that site.

Miss Marple

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »
It used to be a fantastic supermarket with a Milk Bar upstairs Awh ! Memories

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »
I believe its a fact the coop own it.. its a fact they ve refused to lease it to anyone else. Its a fact that its spent several years empty regardless of interest in leasing it from other businesses.  Its a presumption based on strong factual evidence that they do it on purpose to stop competition :D

Duke Fame

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:28 AM »
Hanburys is another long-term topic on this site, do a search from the forum home page for Hanburys to get some background.

In summary, the Co-op lease the building and keep it closed to stop a competing business setting up in there. They kept it empty for years but eventually gave in to pressure and started the electrical shop - it always looked a half-hearted attempt and after recently renewing the lease for 5 years they closed it again. That's as I understand it anyway. Happy for the Co-op to state the case from their point of view and correct any misunderstandings.

I've moved all recent posts to this new thread.

Is that a fact or a Marple rumour (the keeping it an empty shop)?

I can't see it being a viable supermarket.

Duke Fame

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 08:47:12 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 07:23:12 AM »
Hanburys is another long-term topic on this site, do a search from the forum home page for Hanburys to get some background.

In summary, the Co-op lease the building and keep it closed to stop a competing business setting up in there. They kept it empty for years but eventually gave in to pressure and started the electrical shop - it always looked a half-hearted attempt and after recently renewing the lease for 5 years they closed it again. That's as I understand it anyway. Happy for the Co-op to state the case from their point of view and correct any misunderstandings.

I've moved all recent posts to this new thread.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 12:30:31 AM »
Hi who's ESP  ???