Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Marple, Cheshire?  (Read 6466 times)

RAY NOBLE

Re: Marple, Cheshire?
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
I was born in Marple, Via Stockport, Cheshire. and that is where i intend to stay, Not greater Manchester, it was bad enough going there for two years schooling 1953/55. Ray.

Jay

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 11:23:16 PM »
I think that the people of marple will never let it stick! Lets keep "Welcome to the FIRST and BEST community web site for Marple and District, in Cheshire UK".  ;D

Case rested 8)

Belly

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
as far as everyone is concerned, even google, Marple is still in Cheshire, despite what the "official" boundary and administrative situation may be :P

Sadly, Mark, 'everyone' doesn't seem to include those who set our Council tax......  :'(

Indeed Cheshire as a County Council doesn't even exist any more... its now Cheshire East and the wonderful mouthful that is "Cheshire West & Chester".

How long do we need to be in Greater Manchester before it sticks...  :o

Jay

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
Been looking in to some research in to things surrounding Marple this evening and a lot of the surrounding areas and although we are officially "Grater Manchester" all the things I've been looking at always refers to us and surrounding areas as Cheshire. Although my deeds, downloaded last month, now have a big dirty stamp on them saying Greater Manchester!  :-\

Always have been and always will be marpolian, Stopfordian, Cheshirite and a SK6.... erm  ??? SK6ian (if we can get away with it!!!)

Dave

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
as far as everyone is concerned, even google, Marple is still in Cheshire, despite what the "official" boundary and administrative situation may be :P

Sadly, Mark, 'everyone' doesn't seem to include those who set our Council tax......  :'(

marveld

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
Dukinfield, eh? Not been there in ages. Not since I had hair and skateboarded in metal pipes ....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axelmarple/3968183897/in/set-72157622074969339/

Susan

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
Just to let u know on the postcodes, i am sk16, i am in Dukinfield

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
Mark I think you cheated there google just predicts what your trying to spell ;D

If it just predicts what I was trying to spell (and it got it right in both cases) why does it suggest houses for sale, estate agents, cinemas etc in Marple Cheshire but not in Greater Manchester? It's because as far as everyone is concerned, even google, Marple is still in Cheshire, despite what the "official" boundary and administrative situation may be :P
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Neil Smith

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Possibly wiki has the answer in the first line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marple,_Greater_Manchester Mark I think you cheated there google just predicts what your trying to spell ;D

I still put on Cheshire on any Stockport address not just Marple.

Was it back in 74 when we lost Cheshire fire brigade and became GMC maybe???

Also going on the theme of post codes Poynton is SK12, Macclesfield is SK10/11 and SK9 being Alderly and Wilmslow so the SK code covers THREE county's

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
 ;D indeed - our users have spoken!

108 years Cheshire - 36 Greater Manchester, besides, it won't fit on the banners.

And Google knows best:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

badger

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
 ;D

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »
I don't propose to get over excited about it - so long as I still get my post!  The Post Office certainly knows where to bring all the junk mail  ;)

tonyjones

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
It used to be that the 'Mersey' began at the head of the Longdendale valley, now called the Etherow. Thus dividing Derbyshire and Yorkshire !
Then it began at Watermeeting in Brabyns where the 'Etherow' meets the Goyt.
Now it starts behind Sainsburys in Stockport where the Tame meets the Goyt.
The Goyt used to divide Derbyshire and Cheshire until they incorporated Mellor into Marple.

I do not think the Post Office care whether Marple is in Cheshire or greater Manchester. They go by the post code 'SK', which includes New Mills and Glossop which are in Derbyshire !

Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
The Post Office seems to believe we are in Cheshire, but that doesn't make it true!  ::) Neither Marple nor Stockport are in Cheshire, and haven't been for over 35 years.   

nbt

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
North of the Mersey is lancashire, until you get to Westmorland

South of the the mersey is Cheshire, until you reach derbyshire (not far in some directions)
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist