Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Euro Millions - what would you do with it?  (Read 6837 times)

jet

Re: Euro Millions - what would you do with it?
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 06:55:25 AM »
I will ask my Dad if there is any Photo's.At the time of the incident ,it was reported in the North Cheshire Herald, Circa 1959.

Taurus

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 03:27:59 PM »
One of my neighbours remembers the canal arm but no photos I'm afraid. She said her husband used to swim in it and in his youth, him and his friends made a canoe out of cane and canvas but it sank!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »
Mark, does your family have any photographs from the 50s that show the canal arm, or indeed any other interesting photos of Marple? Would love to look through them for the Virtual Tour!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

jet

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59:27 AM »
The Canal arm was filled in around 1959 .my farther Ron Singleton with my Mother Jean lived in the Flat above Warrals Hardward Shop on Stockport road.My Sister Jayne was about 10 Months old ,when left in the pram at the back ,next to the smelly old canal ,a Rat crawled on to the pram and bite my Sister on her face.She still bares the mark to this day.
My Mother and Farther complain to the local Marple District Council and went to the Local papers and campain to fill in this stinking ,Rat infested Ditch for Good.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 02:57:29 AM »
I think the only thing they have against them into making it a really nice place to spend lazy days at, is the access road, it is dreadfull.

Now that's a thorny issue!  The owners of the lakes have for years been in dispute with the Council as to who is responsible for repairing and maintaining Lakes Road.  The problem is that, surprisingly, Lakes Road is officially only a bridle way  That means that the Council is only liable to maintain it up to the standard required to be used by horse riders, cyclists and walkers - any improvement to make it fit for vehicles is the responsibility of the residents.  An issue for our councillors, I guess.

Meanwhile, this recently established group, which includes SMBC representation, might possibly lead to progress?  http://www.ourvalley.org.uk/

Neil Smith

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
Now just to be a bit controversial and move the conversation away from Mark's Arm I would like to put in an offer, with my millions, for the Roman Lakes.  I know that the owners are trying to do stuff but whatever they do seems to take an age.  I would like to swoop in with my largesse and create a nature reserve, visitors centre etc etc etc.  Oh and if it could include the site of Mellor Mill I wouldn't mind doing a bit there as well!

Having played around the lakes as a kid some 20+ years ago I thought it would be nice to have a walk around with the wife and daughter a couple of years ago, and it had not changed one bit, I think the only thing they have against them into making it a really nice place to spend lazy days at, is the access road, it is dreadfull.

Deniseam

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20:46 PM »
Now just to be a bit controversial and move the conversation away from Mark's Arm I would like to put in an offer, with my millions, for the Roman Lakes.  I know that the owners are trying to do stuff but whatever they do seems to take an age.  I would like to swoop in with my largesse and create a nature reserve, visitors centre etc etc etc.  Oh and if it could include the site of Mellor Mill I wouldn't mind doing a bit there as well!

marveld

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
There's more on "Mark Whittaker's Arm" here,

http://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/pfc-hollins-mill/pfc-hollins-mill.htm

Explore the menus on this site, it's got quite a bit on Marple!

marveld

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
Another map from ~1850

[attachment deleted by admin]

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
I would think pretty much everything below ground was filled in and is still there.

The bridge is still there (near the entrance to the park) albeit almost buried and when they did some work in 1988 to the Co-Op cark park the road collapsed to reveal the canal walls underneath:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-3962
http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-3919
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Taurus

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »
I wonder if the foundations of the old canal arm are still there, i.e the concrete walls and they were just filled in?

Dave

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
Great idea.  And to complete the job, knock down the Hollins and surround the end of the canal 'arm' with a new landscaped area, cobbled, with a visitor centre and cafe, and a 'mini bus station'.     :D

jet

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:06:49 PM »
Apologies excepted Mark.I think your idea is great and if it came to fruition it would be good for the Marple area and the band if we got the market value of the Land ,which would then help the band with the development of the Park Keepers cottage

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »
Apologies - I've now managed to find the route on this 1910 map - looks like it was much closer to the cinema and the bands' land than I thought. I still don't think it would be needed if it was to be re-instated though.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
I don't think the bands' land (red box? ) would be needed. The old canal arm must have been something like the red line shown on this satellite view, which would be inside the existing park boundary. My non-expert opinion is that an area something like that shown in green would be needed for a small marina.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website