Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Re: Forthcoming Elections-Discussion forum?  (Read 20416 times)

sooty2

Re: Forthcoming Elections-Discussion forum?
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
Why would you find it hard to believe if you were present?Perhaps people were being polite in case any of the candidates are immigrants. As far as I know they are not.

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
I was at the hustings last night and I think maybe the report is a little unfair to the 2 challengers. Oddly there were no questions on immigration or Europe but I would find it hard to believe that no one submitted a question on those topics...

Dave

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »
I wasn't there, but that looks like a very fair and balanced report, Michael.  Did anyone mention the other candidate (UKIP), and explain why he wasn't there?  Was he invited?   ???

marpleleaf

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
The hustings at the Methodist Church was good last night.

There's a report on it here:

http://themarpleleaf.blogspot.com/2010/05/great-marple-election-debate.html

Summary:

The Liberal Democrat surge is a phenomena of this general election, but Hazel Grove has the distinction of being a relatively safe LibDem seat, even though this should be prime Cameron country. The reason for that is that Stunell has been a good constituency MP. Annesley Abercorn will be an MP one day, but he's serving his time here. Richard Scorer may well be a good council leader for somewhere like Huddersfield, but there was only one candidate who looked like a winner last night. I think Stunell won the debate last night, and will clearly win again next week.

sooty2

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
Nick, I dont know that tunisia are joining, and on a lighter note. type (the immigration song Funny )in to youtube. and before I get slaughtered I dont believe everything I see or here on this video, that would be ignorant. Its just a spoof. and I certainly dont supprt the BNP :( This may answer your, why do they come here? This is how some people think.

Taurus

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Sooty...on a lighter note at least the weekly stories in Take a Break magazine of women being shafted by Turkish men will end.

I didn't know that Tunisia may also be joining. Before we know it, Syria, Iraq and Iran will be joining!

Dave

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
Then again, the other EU countries will not entertain it because they are hardly affected by immigration.

Oh yes they are - Germany is, for one (it's a big issue there as well), and I believe Spain has the highest percentage of immigrant population of any EU country - huge numbers from North Africa, plus about 700,000 Brits, of course!

What I don't really understand is why do most EU immigrants come here? Before countries can join the EU they have to adopt and adhere to strict rules and regulations so surely their country becomes a much better place than before so why would they want to leave anyway?

To find work, or better paid work that they could get at home.  However, now the recession has arrived, many have gone home.

sooty2

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »
Yes Nick, Lots of young Turkish males would love to come here, they have been trying for many years.I have spoken to many and they freely admit that they think UK is land of plenty.When they marry British women sometimes old enough to be their Grandmother, they dont want to set up home in Turkey.Some Tunisians are the same, their country may join the EU, something has to be done! If the elected government cant do anything about it, who can? Voting this time is looking pointless :(

Taurus

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
Hiya

It was good of Oliver to say that their proposed cap refers to immigration outside the EU, I have not heard David Cameron say this or that we are prohibited from stopping EU immigration. Surely though as a member of the EU, our MEPs can voice our concerns about EU immigration which could possibly lead to a new capping policy? Then again, the other EU countries will not entertain it because they are hardly affected by immigration.

What I don't really understand is why do most EU immigrants come here? Before countries can join the EU they have to adopt and adhere to strict rules and regulations so surely their country becomes a much better place than before so why would they want to leave anyway? AND what is so wrong with other EU countries like Spain, France etc why do immigrants not want to go there? I think that the next government needs to seriously to look at this and I also think that a EU immigration cap is needed, with Turkey soon to be joining the EU, the Polish over here will most certainly be outnumbered by Turks.

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 07:22:58 AM »
Hold on Sooty. It is far more juvenile to assume that a party has to agree with every opinion you hold before you vote for them.

At the end of the day, I have my own personal opinion but still support the Conservative position on Europe because it is a step in the right direction. Parties are broad churches of opinion and it is a mistake to assume otherwise.

sooty2

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
Doh?I think you may be involved with the wrong party Oliver, Tories are pro europe? your last post reads like its been written by a juvenile! Everybody knows that most of the immigrants are from the European union.So your statement is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.Why oh why didnt I get myself an education, then I could talk contradictory twaddle :P

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »
Dave, thank you for bringing my error to my attention.

Our policy is to cap immigration from outside the EU only as we are prohibited from doing so to EU immigrants. Personally, I believe this is a good start - far better than any of the alternatives - but needs to go further and cap immigration from the EU countries too.

My own personal opinion is that we should pull out of the European although I think the Conservative Party's position is most certainly better than Lib Dems or Labour.

Dave

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »
That's interesting, Oliver.  As you know, the vast majority of immigration to the UK is from other countries in the EU.  (The celebrated Mrs Duffy from Rochdale knows that, because she said, famously, 'these immigrants from Eastern Europe - where are they flocking from?').

There is, of course, unrestricted free movement between member states of the EU.  So as long as we remain members, we will not be able to place any limit on immigration from elsewhere in the EU.   

So presumably your policy means that you favour withdrawal from the EU?

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »
Haha. Steady now.

The only reason I didn't post it on here was because I am concious that some of you won't want to become embroiled in a heavy debate. But if you insist...

I am very proud of our party's policy on immigration. Simply put, controlled immigration is good for this country but what we have seen over the past 13 years under Labour is simply too high over, some years having 350,000 immigrants coming in. We want to put an annual cap which will reduce it to tens of thousands per year - levels of the early 90s. Furthermore we want to create a UK Border Police Force to ensure that we can really begin to clamp down on illegal immigration.

moorendman

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »
This event at the Methodist Church on Friday 30th April - Will all the 4 candidates be there for the hustings?