Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Re: Forthcoming Elections-Discussion forum?  (Read 20550 times)

Dave

Re: Forthcoming Elections-Discussion forum?
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
Introduce an extra Rose Hill train per hour without pinching it from the other station. Failing that, leave things as they are.  But my point is not so much about the switching of trains, and more about the fact that one of our election candidates is telling us only half the story.   ::)

amazon

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
So What do you suggest .

Dave

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »
One of the most depressing things about elections is reading the evasions and half-truths which fill some of the election leaflets dropping through our letterboxes.   :'(

As an example, look at the one from the Lib Dems, in which Cllr Craig Wright proudly claims credit for 'leading the successful campaign for two trains an hour to stop at Rose Hill'.  This is due to start in December.

What Cllr Wright omits to mention is that this will not be an additional service, but will simply be a switch of one of the three trains per hour which currently serve Marple.  So Marple and Rose Hill will each have two trains per hour from this December.   

For those who live within walking distance of both stations, this is no big deal, of course.  But for those many who 'park and ride', it makes little sense.  Marple has a great deal more car parking than Rose Hill - not just at the station itself, but across the road behind Basmati, and down the hill at Brabyns Brow car park and in Brabyns Park. 

And if more people start driving to Rose Hill in the mornings, and back in the evenings, the small car park there will soon fill up, and the increase in traffic on the already congested Stockport Road will get even worse.

Well done Cllr Wright!!   ::)

Jo Scarlett

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
re: the current state of the roads. 

I've had a leaflet put through my door today to confirm that SMBC are spending £2m to address the deterioration of the roads due to the severe winter we had. 

Driving around Marple this last week there are clear signs that this work has begun, and the leaflet lists at least 2 dozen roads which are to be resurfaced.  They are presently doing patch repairs prior to the roads being resurfaced. 

If I was cynical, I could think that this is a good time to be seen to being investing in the state of the roads!  However, whatever the reason for this work being done - I'm grateful that at last I won't be dodging potholes all the time! 

Taurus

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Jay....they are called 'Marple prices'

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
First of all I live in Hazel Grove just off Torkington Road at the Threaphurst Lane end so mere minutes away from High Lane. My connection to High Lane, Hawk Green and Marple goes back a long way and I am currently a Governor at one of the key schools that High Lane feeds to, Hazel Grove High School.

As far as the election address is concerned, you will received it over the coming week for definite.

I believe firmly that our area simply is not getting the value for money it deserves. You only have to travel into the residential areas of High Lane and Hawk Green to see the appalling state of the roads - i.e potholes and gullies. I have spoken to residents who have reported these problems and as yet have had no response despite multiple efforts to contact the council. Pavement issues are also rife and with the high elderly population in the area that is especially concerning.

Furthermore, many of us witnessed the fiasco over the schools merger and whatever your opinion is on the decision itself, the Council's handling of the issue was a disgrace. First of all they tried to cover it up until after the Local elections in 2008 and then they couldn't get the clean up job sorted. Peacefield Primary in particular was the victim numerous arson attacks before the clear-up began.

When you take this into the context of our area having the highest Council tax band in Greater Manchester, I believe there is a serious problem. We are paying top dollar for not just a lack of services but also for bad services. This Council is borrowing and borrowing which will heap more and more of the burden on us.

I think because roads will be a big issue in this campaign, it is worth mentioning that it is Lib Dem policy to pull money out of the road's budget. Simply put we cannot trust them with the job of looking after our highways.

I hope this answers your questions.

Many thanks for your interest in my campaign,

Oliver

alan@marple

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »

Mr Johnstone,

You will certainly have a fight on your hands against Ms Ingham, she is indeed the only lib deb that I have regard for in Marple. I do wish you well and hope that you will put yourself about over the next two weeks.

I have not had a canvasser in my area(Sutton Lane/Lockside) neither have I seen your election address.

What is your Marple history?

Why do you wish to be elected?

sooty2

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
Just how local are you Oliver? Are you aware of the ongoing or should I say unfinished state of some of the roads around the Cottage surgery area off Church lane? Some have been unfinished for 15 months! Stockport council should priorotise instead of starting new costly projects which in my opinion are uneccessary ie the growing number of pedestrian crossings and proposed cycle track.

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

Just to introduce myself, my name is Oliver Johnstone and I am your Conservative Candidate in the forthcoming local elections in Marple South, which includes parts of Marple (area around Church Lane), Hawk Green and High Lane. I am standing against the Lib Dem incumbent, Cllr Susan Ingham.

I have lived locally all my life and will happily respond to any questions you have of me and moreover if there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Oliver

amazon

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
Vote for the thacher years 3 day week high interest rates .

alan@marple

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
In my opinion, if people really want a change of government, then they should vote Conservative. I do not believe that the Lib Debs have a chance of winning and a vote for anything but Tory will return Gordon Brown.

marpleleaf

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
There were Conservative leafleters at Marple station this morning, but though Annesley Abercorn was with them, he didn't get out of the car. Shame, he could have tapped into the public sentiment about crowded trains.

marpleleaf

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
I notice the Churches Together in Marple and District are hosting a hustings event for the candidates on the Friday before polling day - the 30th of April. It's at the Methodist Church.

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »
Just wait until the shortages caused by the flight ban kick in! :-X

Jay

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »
I'd like to know which party will do something about the price of fuel? every time I pass the petrol station the price seems to have crept up 1p. Has anyone noticed how everything else has gone up along with the fuel. Shopping is getting ridiculous, and that's even if you walk to the shops!  >:(