A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Footbridge over the Goyt  (Read 18991 times)

amazon

Re: Footbridge over the Goyt
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
At first I thought it was a waste of Monro but it will only cost 280k and isn't council money so it's not too bad.

I expect the vast majority of Marple residents are unaware of the route so I wonder how often it will be used?
          Can anyone show us this route were it goes .plan etc .[ ADMIN DO YOU HAVE ANY THING ] YOUR USELY GOOD AT COMING UP WITH THINGS .

thebigshed

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
I have similar concerns about the new surface on the path that runs along side the tennis courts above Marple Station.  It won't take long before the undergrowth takes over and over time it looks like it may just get washed over the side of the cutting.

nbt

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
I have *NO* confidence whatsoever in what Stockport Council say. Over winter they rebuilt (presumably at a not inconsiderable expense, as there was a sizeable team working there) the bridleway down The Banks above Mellor golf course, here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398125&Y=387380&A=Y&Z=115

That bridleway was fully resurfaced back in August 2003. At the time I said that it had been badly done and wouldn't last very long, but Stockport Council insisted that it was all done to the relevant standards and highest quality. It lasted about 18 months at most before it began to break up, and within 3 years you couldn't tell any work had been done, expect for the large piles of gravel accumulating at the bottom.

So, in 2010, they decided to do it again. They've used the same techniques and the same materials. It's started to break up again already, and they only finished the job in February. Personally, I'd rather they just saved the money and didn't bother...
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

marveld

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
Further information from a Senior Public Rights of Way Officer

"The final surface of the route will not be tarmac. It will be a binding material that will be suitable to equestrians, cyclists and pedestrians. The choice of the final material is being explored."

"The bridge will be built this summer / autumn with the associated paths improvements continuing into 2012."

"There are no disputes. We are working with local landowners to clarify route" ['Route' being the exact location of the path from the weir to the road at Marple Dale Farm]

marveld

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:46 AM »
I have been in touch with Stockport Council and have received the following information off Alex Bremner, Senior Structures Engineer:

"We have just been given the funds for the bridge; looking to install the bridge Sep/Oct so hope to be on site preparing June/July.  I am only responsible for the bridge element but I have passed your questions over to the Public Rights of Way section who are dealing with the linking paths."

When/If - I get a info regarding the exact location of the path from the weir to the road at Marple Dale Lower farm, I will post the response on this forum. I have also asked about the surface and whether there are any outstanding disputes that might hold the project up.

nbt

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
I think you answered your own question there - the macc end of the middlewood way is done by Macc. The muddy end of the middlewood way is stockport's...

Victor M

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of surface the route will be i.e. Middlewood Way mud or the better Middlewood Way (Macclesfield) all weather surface?

marpudlian

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 02:00:49 AM »
At first I thought it was a waste of monry but it will only cost 280k and isn't council money so it's not too bad.

I expect the vast majority of Marple residents are unaware of the route so I wonder how often it will be used?

nbt

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
Sorry to bump a fairly old thread.

I walked down the road past Dale Farm and followed the footpath round to the back of Marple Hall for the first time recently. The proposed bridge is described as a shortcut for cyclists en route to Stockport, although this seems a good idea, the footpath is fairly off-track and by the time this route has been cycled is it really any faster than cycling via Dan Bank and Otterspool Rd?

it's not just about the time - it's also about getting away from traffic, and being in a  generally more pleasant environment, as the river bank is far nicer than the road. In any case, yes, it would be far faster to take a route via Marple Dale than to go all the way round, just have a look at the aerial view on google maps

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

I walked down the road past Dale Farm and followed the footpath round to the back of Marple Hall for the first time recently. The proposed bridge is described as a shortcut for cyclists en route to Stockport, although this seems a good idea, the footpath is fairly off-track and by the time this route has been cycled is it really any faster than cycling via Dan Bank and Otterspool Rd?

Given the position, it seems like a waste of money

marpudlian

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »

Water Rat

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
... and you have to be careful with your eutrophication in order to reduce Policeman's helmet.  This could be difficult by the Goyt.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »
I would rather fight my way through the Balsam than nettles and Brambles . It could be worse!
No it couldn't! At least brambles and nettles are useful. Himalayan Balsam is a serious pest and can even contribute to the demolition of stone walls

sooty2

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
I would rather fight my way through the Balsam than nettles and Brambles . It could be worse!

marveld

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »
Some images from Marple Dale. I wish the Himalayan balsam could be eradicated  >:(

[attachment deleted by admin]