Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Linked Events

• Rose Hill Tip Reopens: January 18, 2011

Author Topic: Development at Rose Hill Tip  (Read 30620 times)

chicken lady

Re: Development at Rose Hill Tip
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
I went to the tip this morning in the car as I had some heavy items. I asked the attendant about pedestrian access with a wheelbarrow and was told that the official line from the company is that they don't encourage pedestrian access because of safety issues, however they cannot enforce this, he also said to try and avoid weekends and very busy times.

tina

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
I don't have a car and have in the past walked round with my rubbish.. Glad I read this first as I was going to have a walk round this weekend with some junk. :(

Pink Panther!!!!! do you know there is a site available to give away such items as a desk, chair and old computers that really don't need to be thrown away if someone can make use of them? (or even ask a family member if they could use it??? ;) )...anyway its... .   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StockportFreegle/

Belly

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
I understand what you are saying Belly, and some comments are fair ... but you talk about it being an industrial size tip .... but  the tip is for household  waste ?

Regardless of the rules and regulations of waste .. if its a public tip ( not a business waste tip) then surely there should be some sort of pedestrian access  .... or am I alone in thinking that :(

Ah well, Im just off to polute the atmosphere even further by getting my four wheels out to take my rubbish to the tip  ;)

Adios  ;D     ::)

It is a difficult call I grant you.

What I was referring to is that a lot of waste authorities experience the problem of  small traders trying to sneak into public (municipal) tip sites to dump their waste free of charge - rather than go to a comercial site where they have to pay. The easiest way for traders to do this is to park round the corner and then wander in on foot with their waste. Generally very few legit members of the public will walk in with waste and so restricting access to cars is quite an easy (albeit inflexible) method of policing the problem.

Cant see why a special arrangement couldn't be made for wheelbarrows from the allotments though.

Rachael

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
I understand what you are saying Belly, and some comments are fair ... but you talk about it being an industrial size tip .... but  the tip is for household  waste ?

Regardless of the rules and regulations of waste .. if its a public tip ( not a business waste tip) then surely there should be some sort of pedestrian access  .... or am I alone in thinking that :(

Ah well, Im just off to polute the atmosphere even further by getting my four wheels out to take my rubbish to the tip  ;)

Adios  ;D     ::)

Belly

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »
The split level design at RH is pretty much 'industry standard' these days and is a massive improvement on the previous free for all that used to characterise our tip. Having to dodge moving traffic whilst carrying heavy bags of waste was always a challenge.

Pedestrian access is a bit of a moot point. I have worked on schemes in the past where the waste authority have specifically not wanted pedestrian access - as it encourages some traders (i.e. those who get paid privately to collect waste - who are barred from these sites) from parking up outside and then carrying their waste into the site for free disposal. I've seen this happen a lot at other sites and it's us the taxpayer who pays for them to make a quick buck.

Yes no pedestrian access might disinfranchise a few people who would like to walk in (but lets be honest there are only a few people who will chose to lug heavy bags any distance) but access on foot is unlikely to be a major issue for most.  

I'd also like to point out I have nothing to do with the design of RH tip - my handywork is generally down south!  ;D

Rachael

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
I had a big office c0hair, and an old computer  .. both had considerable weight in them for "flinging "  ... the old tip, the skip, hoppers whatever they are called  some were on ground level  that you walked into for stuff like that .

I didn't manage very well, and there will be others like me, I'm certain of it .... I don't come on here to be negative, it was my personal experience of my visit ... I don't find it an all singing, dancing new style tip .... what if there wasn't an attendant on the top floor ... I want to be in and out, rather than doing a romeo and Juliet balcony scene when I need a hand . ( and I mean help ... not a round of applause  ;)   

Seriously though ... do you not find that the time it has taken them and the money spent ... that some sort of pedestrian access would have made sense ?  We have managed just about with the black recycle bin at home, but it is full and I have stuff that I'm going to have to take to the tip,  its only bin bags  ( fine for my little arms to fling ) but it would take me five minutes to walk there  ,,, its a pain having to take the car if I don't need to .

Tricky

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
Pink Panther, If you interpreted my post as patronising then I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be being patronising at all.. 

I was merely trying to give something a positive spin. So many changes recently are causing nothing but moaning posts, I don't think the tip deserves to be one of them, that's all. :)

(IN MY OPINION)
The barriers, which are there to stop you from falling in the containers (yes, I know you know what they're for) are not as high as the hoppers you used to have to lift your rubbish into.. so that's better isn't it?

Rubbish which can be recycled is now much simpler to sort, so that's better too..

There was always a height restriction for vehicles so no change there.. and more cars can actually be on site than before so less cars having to queue on Railway Road, which also seems better to me.

meh

Rachael

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »
The attendant was there  today ... when my husband went at the weekend, there wasnt an attendant at the top to help him, he had a very heavy desk that firstly he had to get over the barrier, but then had to throw it in to the skip below him

I dont moan for moaning sake Tricky  .. believe it or not !!

I think the lay out of the tip is an improvement  in some parts  .. but what if you dont have a car ?   and also , im not going to be the only short ar$ed person visiting the tip, and today was quiet, what when its not

Do you have * try * to be so patronising ??

Tricky

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
I have been today, and for the likes of me, its hopeless :(

No problem taking my car up there, but can see at the weekend its going to be chaos  ... also, with me vertically challenged ( five foot )  to dispose of anything, you have to throw it over the barrier, that's all well and good if you can get a good swing, but when the barrier  comes up  height, its difficult  ... also, the gap between the waste container and the barrier  there is quite a gap .... and my arms were not long enough to drop stuff in, never mind trying to throw it  ( are you following me ? )  .. so I had to get the attendant to assist me .

or in other words.. if it's a struggle for you to throw your heavy rubbish away, there's an attendant to help you.

Personally I think the tip is an improvement.. and lets not forget you sometimes had to wait a couple of minutes before the changes, you may, at sometimes, have to wait a couple of minutes now.  No big deal really is it ?

meh

Rachael

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
I have been today, and for the likes of me, its hopeless :(

No problem taking my car up there, but can see at the weekend its going to be chaos  ... also, with me vertically challenged ( five foot )  to dispose of anything, you have to throw it over the barrier, that's all well and good if you can get a good swing, but when the barrier  comes up  height, its difficult  ... also, the gap between the waste container and the barrier  there is quite a gap .... and my arms were not long enough to drop stuff in, never mind trying to throw it  ( are you following me ? )  .. so I had to get the attendant to assist me .

Also ... there is no pedestrian access , I was told by the attendant, no pedestrian access, no high sided vehicles  etc ... if they believe someone on foot is disposing of genuine waste,  if its quiet  they may allow people to walk up, but its unlikely due to health and safety  .. but they will have to come down, through the entrance ??  I think its  mad not having a walk way up  .. they have a red area to walk on at the top, but not on the ramp up to it  :(

The people at the allotments are not happy either, as they would wheel rubbish to the tip previously, and now they are being told they cant do it .

Considering its supposed to be Eco friendly, if you have to have a car to drop waste, then it defeats the object in some ways ?

Mr Marple

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Well Ray, I must've been near you as I also was amongst the first to enter the newly designed Rose Hill site.

After I went up onto the upper level I had a good look around and could see the logic used :).

The site has been re-developed in the logistical way, meaning that the container carriers can get in and out quickly without hassle whilst we, the site users, can get in and deposit our waste/recyclables.

I would say though that down the left hand side of the site, where the road goes by leading to the upper level, that there's very little space for parking your vehicle which isn't a good thing.

The upper level parking space has roughly the equal amount to the previous site design and when I say roughly I mean one or maybe two possible parking spots are not available anymore.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 08:57:54 AM »
I was first in the new tip a Rose Hill this morning . I can visualize traffic chaos where you unload your vehicle. I hope I am wrong. Ray

Duke Fame

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »
I would imagine that it would probably take 6-8 weeks or more to get enough waste to generate a decent trainload. That would be a lot of storage at Rose Hill! Currently there are only about 4 or 5 trains a week serving Bredbury to the final disposal place and those trains have already been 'on the loop' to Salford, Oldham Road and Wytehnshawe (i.e. taking pretty much all GM's black bin waste).

I also suspect that a lot of the recyclables collected at RoseHill (i.e. most of the waste) goes elsewhere anyway.

To sensible that, and Bredbury having a rail head to. ::) ::)
[/quote]
[/quote]

I suspect you are right, more than likely it goes to India.

amazon

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »
IF you Can obtain a copy of Railway magazine for DEC 2010 .[Loation page 53 ]it shows you the Binliner train as they call it Manchester to Roxby lincolnshire .the one they show was taken      august  2007
 the one now used . has much larger wagons so i think it might be a problem at rose hill . it calls at Bredbury .Dean lane and northenden .still to the roxby landfill site at  Lincolnshire .

H :)ope this info is usefull .

Neil Smith

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
If the train has already been on a loop, would it not make sense to "extend" the loop, just to take the lorries of the road. I can not see a problem with this as most things went by rail in the past anyway......