Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Signage on Stockport Road  (Read 8398 times)

sgk

Re: Signage on Stockport Road
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
Perhaps he's hoping to be a contender for the legal-speed lottery when it comes to Marple?  >:(

http://www.libdemvoice.org/why-not-make-speed-cameras-reward-good-drivers-21400.html

moonforest

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
Sounds like we're building a good profile of our man!  8)

Dave

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
Or its on the parcel shelf.

....beside the nodding dog.   ::)

Neil Smith

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
How many of these elderly slow drivers are there in Marple? The other day we got stuck behind an elderly gentleman coming into Marple at 22 mph. I wasn't driving but even I was getting frustrated so goodness knows what it's like for drivers stuck behind these people! I'm beginning to wonder if it's all down to the one gentleman who spends his days wandering about at a leisurely pace all day? ;)

Thank you, I thought it was just me ;D

Have you noticed how drivers who wear a hat always drive incredibly slowly?  ::)  Or am I being 'hattist'?

Or its on the parcel shelf.

I don't care about going any quicker than the posted speed limit but the powers that be have deemed it safe to go at that speed (unless its raining heavily or snowing etc)so why not do it.

Dave

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »
Have you noticed how drivers who wear a hat always drive incredibly slowly?  ::)  Or am I being 'hattist'?

moonforest

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
How many of these elderly slow drivers are there in Marple? The other day we got stuck behind an elderly gentleman coming into Marple at 22 mph. I wasn't driving but even I was getting frustrated so goodness knows what it's like for drivers stuck behind these people! I'm beginning to wonder if it's all down to the one gentleman who spends his days wandering about at a leisurely pace all day? ;)

Neil Smith

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
Could do with more "Don't become a statistic" signs. But would add "Campaign to have your bins emptied weekly", underneath it.   >:(

I know this is another thread but so long as your family does not survive on ready meals and recycles most things there is no reason why our bins are required to be emptied more than there are now.

myloweb

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »
Could do with more "Don't become a statistic" signs. But would add "Campaign to have your bins emptied weekly", underneath it.   >:(

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
30mph is a maximum speed you don't have to go at that speed, I drive in Marple every day and see many cars doing over the 30mph on a 30mph road. A traffic cop. could make a weeks wages in a day booking them. Ray

Neil Smith

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Having kept an eye on this post from the outset I think the signs should be redone to read.....OAP drivers speed up!!

For the last 6 months or so whilst driving in and around Marple at least once a week (sometimes more) I have been stuck behind a driver doing 20MPH and a couple of times doing 15MPH and yes they have all been OAP's.

I don't want them whizzing down Stockport Rd at 90MPH but a steady 30MPH would do.

Or they all could be retired bus drivers as said by a previous poster ;D

jimblob

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
Everyone seems to be getting personal over these signs!.... I think the signs are a daft idea, drivers, young and old, BMW or not should be looking at the road and not having their attention diverted or their council tax spent or their neighbourhood spoiled by ugly, ill-conceived signs. Does anyone honestly believe that the type of driver these signs are focussed towards will take any heed of them. Quite the contrary I fear.  ::) they will serve to those who conceieved them to feel self-righteous tho I'm sure.  ;)

Dave

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
But can someone please explain why buses proceed along an empty Stockport Road at 7 am, with no cars in front of them, at the astounding speed of  TWENTY miles per hour.

It's to ensure that they don't find themselves running ahead of the timetable.  One of the biggest sins a bus driver can commit is running early! 

heather

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »
you dont just have two kids in the car you have MY GRANDCHILDREN in the car and you are a very safe driver or i woulndnt get in with you

RWW

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:35:25 PM »
If you're honestly trying to tell me that only young drivers break the speed limit then you're having a laugh.

I don't think stereotyping every person under the age of 25 as a bad driver really helps anyone. There is absolutely no need to imply that one sort of driver is worse than another.

If that's aimed at me.. I wasn't aware I was trying to say that only young drivers brake the limit? OR that one sort of driver is worse than another? If you can point that out to me then thanks..

I don't even get that the Council are implying that either..?

HOWEVER - 

Younger drivers are likely to:
Be over-confident
Young people quickly pick up the physical skills of driving and, as a result, feel they have mastered it and are subsequently very confident about their driving ability. This means young drivers may drive unsafely, but think that they are actually in control.

Feel they are invincible
Many young people admit they often feel they are immortal and that they think crashes only happen to other people.

Assess risks poorly
Although some hazards on the road are easy to identify, there are some situations where hazards are not immediately obvious. It often takes experience to notice these hidden hazards and due to inexperience, young people may be poor at noticing and reacting in time to these hazards. US research has shown young drivers show poorer attention, visual awareness, speed relative to conditions, hazard recognition and avoidance.

Take risks
While young people understand the consequences of risk taking, they may not always understand which risks cause the worst consequences. For example, research has shown that young drivers are less likely than older drivers to cite speeding as a major cause of crashes, and when asked to rank a number of driving situations in order of risk, young drivers ranked speeding significantly lower in risk than older drivers. It has also been suggested that one of the reasons young drivers attach less importance to the risk of speeding is they are overconfident in their control and recovery skills.

Be overloaded mentally
Any new task takes a certain amount of concentration and driving in particular takes continuous concentration. Driving is a new experience for young people and they tend to use most of their mental energy on the immediate tasks such as gear changing, rather than general observation of the potential hazards. If there is a sudden need to avoid a situation, young people may be less able to deal with it due to their mental energy being focused on other tasks.

taken from http://www.brake.org.uk/facts/young-drivers-the-hard-facts

and OBVIOUSLY not every driver fits in with the stereotype.

It wasn't aimed at you Tricky, I had whoever ordered the signs in mind. Yes, we've all heard the statistics on young drivers. My point was that they are not the only people driving dangerously. I could knock you up a list just like that about middle aged drivers and a list just like that about elderly drivers. The perfect driver does not exist. We are all flawed

Middle aged drivers
http://www.crystal-claims.co.uk/road-accident-news/poor-eyesight-drivers-a-danger.html

Elderly drivers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/2008/09/some_statistics_on_elderly_dri.shtml

tonyjones

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
NBT is correct in that 30 miles per hour is the legal maximum.

But can someone please explain why buses proceed along an empty Stockport Road at 7 am, with no cars in front of them, at the astounding speed of  TWENTY miles per hour.

As far as the new signs are concerned my first thought upon seeing  'young drivers THINK' was, Oh no they don't !