Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Cycling on canal  (Read 3125 times)

Water Rat

Re: Cycling on canal
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
If you do want a permit follow this link http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit.  I downloaded one and keep it in my saddlebag although no one has ever asked to see it.

nbt

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »
I am sure, as with the majority of cyclists, you will take care and make pedestrians aware of your approach.

Good point, CTREP.  Nowadays bikes don't always have a bell, it seems, and we walkers really appreciate it when canal cyclists give us the old 'ting-ting' when approaching from behind.    :)

As a cyclist, I appreciate it when people actually listen out for bells - many times the walkers are listening to iPods or just chatting and either jump out of their skin when you pass (having rung the bell) or jump when you ring the bell. Sometimes you just can't win. Personally I prefer to slow down and actually say "ding ding" as it seems to be less frightening and more audible.

as for cycling on the canal, as has been mentioned as long as you are courteous I can see no reason not to do so, as you mention it's far safer and more pleasant than the road. Keep an eye out for wildlife, we've seen kingfishers near the aqueduct!
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
I am sure, as with the majority of cyclists, you will take care and make pedestrians aware of your approach.

Good point, CTREP.  Nowadays bikes don't always have a bell, it seems, and we walkers really appreciate it when canal cyclists give us the old 'ting-ting' when approaching from behind.    :)

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:47:09 AM »
British Waterways are dropping the idea of a License - it was free anyway - and making the majority of towpaths open for cycling. So carry on using it.  I believe Stockport is considering making improvements some time, but with the recent banking debacle it may be some time before we see them. I am sure, as with the majority of cyclists, you will take care and make pedestrians aware of your approach.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
Don't know for sure whether it's officially permitted, although I think I heard somewhere that you can apply for a 'permit' from British Waterways?  However, lots of people do it.  It's perfectly safe and normal. 

Taurus

Cycling on canal
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
Hello

Does anyone know if cycling along the tow path between Marple and New Mills is permitted? I would be travelling weekday afternoons when the tow path is very quiet.

I know that it is permitted along the tow path towards Macclesfield but not when you are going towards Romiley/Hyde. Why the restrictions anyway?... most of the tow path going towards Hyde is actually wider than the Macclesfield tow path.

I often walk to New Mills along the canal and sometimes along Strines Road and now that it is spring, was thinking how nice it would be to cycle along the canal. I know I could use Strines Road but I feel that car drivers do not have much patience with cyclists even though we have as much right to be there as them. Also some cars do travel at high speed along the road to New Mills.

Thanking you in advance  :-*