Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Strines Housing Development Built on FLOOD PLAIN !!!  (Read 19002 times)

marpudlian

Re: Strines Housing Development Built on FLOOD PLAIN !!!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
Surely if some kind of "moat" was dug around the perimeter of the housing development, this would eliminate the problem?  ???

Duke Fame

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
If anyone is thinking about going to the sales office today at Mill Green, I suggest you take your wellies or a small boat as Station road near the site entrance is flooded from one side to the other. The nearby field is also very wet with pools of water.

I rest my case  :-X

That certainly suggests teh remedial work to get over the flood threat has been a success.

Barbara

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
I enjoyed the advertising leaflet that came with the Stockport Times - somewhat misleading in several respects, I thought!  Caveat emptor!!

Dave

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
Building on the brownfield site at Strines is now well under way again, and there's no shortage of marketing going on, as users of Marple Station can testify (very attractive poster with a picture of the historic listed dovecote in the middle of the pond).

Here's a link to the developer's website:   http://www.stewartmilnehomes.com/Mill-Green--Strines.aspx?DevelopmentID=91&did=91&PriceRange=0&Bedrooms=0&HomeTypeID=0&TownID=75&RegionID=9    Sounds idyllic, doesn't it?   Funnily enough, there's no mention of a flood plain..........

Victor M

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
When the original planning permission was given the developer had to raise the level of the land using the rubble from the old buildings, because of the flood plain danger. The builder has since gone back to the council and obtained planning permission to build more dwellings on the site due to the fact that he could not sell the original buildings as they were now way above market price. I believe this has been done with the agreement of the local residents association.

Miss Marple

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
If anyone is thinking about going to the sales office today at Mill Green, I suggest you take your wellies or a small boat as Station road near the site entrance is flooded from one side to the other. The nearby field is also very wet with pools of water.

I rest my case  :-X

sooty2

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:34 PM »
Actually I am going to retract my previous statement of:

"Serves them right, I'm getting fed up of houses being built everywhere"

If the houses that are going to be built down by Peacefield are sold at a reasonable price so LOCAL first time buyers can afford them then I would be very happy. So many of my family and friends who couldn't afford to buy a house in Marple (even with 2 wages) where they grew up have had to move to Hyde, Tameside etc. But I very much doubt that a housing developer would do that.
I was under the impression that all new housing developments had to have a proportion of inexpensive houses for first time buyers.

Would you rather that derelict sites like that of Park and Patt and the old printworks remained derelict? A potentially dangerous and unsightly mess or land put to practical use?
I live near the Park & Patt site and its new use is an infinite improvement on the old chimney that puthered out smoke at regular intervals when I was a girl.
YES !!!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »

If the houses that are going to be built down by Peacefield are sold at a reasonable price so LOCAL first time buyers can afford them then I would be very happy. So many of my family and friends who couldn't afford to buy a house in Marple (even with 2 wages) where they grew up have had to move to Hyde, Tameside etc. But I very much doubt that a housing developer would do that.
I was under the impression that all new housing developments had to have a proportion of inexpensive houses for first time buyers.

Would you rather that derelict sites like that of Park and Patt and the old printworks remained derelict? A potentially dangerous and unsightly mess or land put to practical use?
I live near the Park & Patt site and its new use is an infinite improvement on the old chimney that puthered out smoke at regular intervals when I was a girl.

Dave

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
Building seems to have restarted at Strines again.  Presumably the developer thinks he can sell the houses now.  Maybe the recession is over (you read it first here  ;))

Miss Marple

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
Well Sooty 2 I feel it would be in your best intrest not to know who I am :-\  I am sure you will recognise me from my profile picture which I have recently updated  ;)

sooty2

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Would be in a mess?They have unsold properties. Land thats probably devalued, I would say they are in deep sh sh sh sewerage. Could you tell me your job down there? I also worked in the lab. Happy Days, especially friday lunchtime in the royal oak with Veras famous toasties ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Well Sooty 2 what a fantastic insight to the floods of the seventies.  You encapsulated all my memories in that informative post of the horror of that time.  I also remember the clear up and the devastation caused to the area and surrounding properties.  I have noted that on the report posted it stated that flood risks are not high risk now in that area  ???  Global warming, increased rain fall and weather changes must not affect the valley  :-\  Well that's flippin lucky for the housing developers or they would be in a mess  :P

Taurus

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »

Taurus

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
I have no sympathy for the developer or for the people who buy the houses on the Strines flood plain.