Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Proposed Cycle Track Dan Bank  (Read 13047 times)

Victor M

Re: Proposed Cycle Track Dan Bank
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
It may be because you started the thread with "I can not think of a more ludicrous idea than to put a cycle track up Dan Bank".

CTCREP

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »
Taking up Miss Marple's point about families and wobbly cyclists. I hope therefore she will add her support to the proposed Connect2 route that will allow some cyclists to bypass this section of road and offer the opportunity for parents to give children some opportunity to learn how to cycle and enjoy the countryside without having to contend with speeding traffic.  However I must also point out that there are many cyclists able to cycle up Dan Bank, albeit slowly thus requiring a dedicated cycling area, and even more would do so if they considered it safe to do so.

Miss Marple

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
Dave I think you need to read all my comments in context  ;)

Dave

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I can not think of a more ludicrous idea than to put a cycle track up Dan Bank.
I am not opposed to a cycle track far from it,

So that's all clear then.  ;)

sooty2

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Correct! But we dont all drive at 60mph. Saying that,  many do especially at night, thats when most of the accidents happen :(

nbt

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
I fail to see how altering the traffic lights can alter the 'speed' of the traffic i.e. miles per hour which is totally under the control of the driver.
Traffic will travel as fast as the driver can. If the driver can get away with 60mph, traffic will travel at 60. If they have top stop for traffic lights, the speed will decrease. Increase the flow of cars through the lights, increase the speed of traffic
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Miss Marple

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
I suspect that any complaints were about the length of time spent in the queues for the traffic lights.
There is virtually no queue out of Marple at 7 am, and traffic flows freely at 30 miles per hour.
Returning at 4:30pm the queue is normally joined around the Wright's Arms, and crawls all the way to the bottom of Dan Bank from where it flows freely, at 30 miles per hour if you are lucky !, until Rose Hill, provoided you are not behind a bus.

I can accept that SMBC tinkering with the traffic light sequencing etc can increase the 'flow' of cars through the lights i.e the number of cars per hour.

I fail to see how altering the traffic lights can alter the 'speed' of the traffic i.e. miles per hour which is totally under the control of the driver.

That's probably why you don't work for the Highways or Road Traffic monitoring.  ???  I have not just made up this information I spoke to relevent departments within the council.  If you require further information on traffic calming , flow, or the effect of traffic light adjustment to speed up traffic congestion, might I suggest that you speak to Ken Harrop at Highways or his manager Tony Adams because that's who gave me my informed knowledge surrounding traffic flow with the use of traffic light adjustments . :P

tonyjones

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
I suspect that any complaints were about the length of time spent in the queues for the traffic lights.
There is virtually no queue out of Marple at 7 am, and traffic flows freely at 30 miles per hour.
Returning at 4:30pm the queue is normally joined around the Wright's Arms, and crawls all the way to the bottom of Dan Bank from where it flows freely, at 30 miles per hour if you are lucky !, until Rose Hill, provoided you are not behind a bus.

I can accept that SMBC tinkering with the traffic light sequencing etc can increase the 'flow' of cars through the lights i.e the number of cars per hour.

Miss Marple

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
May I ask you Miss Marple, as I'm not too clear on your initial post, are you saying that you think the traffic is driving along Stockport Road at a greater speed than it used to? - and that this is because of the new lights at Seventeen Windows?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.  On a recent telephone call to Highways I was informed that the increase speed and flow of traffic was because they had received complaints from drivers queuing at the bottom of Seventeen Windows and Dan Bank.  The council as a result of complaints from drivers increased the flow of traffic by altering the traffic lights to increase the speed and amount of traffic coming up / down Dan Bank.  The council informed me that their success in getting the flow of traffic faster was my downfall as I would see an increase in amount, speed and faster flowing traffic.  What I now fail to understand is why cyclists, walkers and environmentalists on this site can not see the issue!

Miss Marple

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »
What I am trying to put across is !!!!  No matter how wide the cycle path is it will not stop cars mounting the pavement as they already do on a regular basis.  I am just pointing out, rather lulling potential users in to sense of security, that the road is dangerous.  I am not opposed to a cycle track far from it, all I want to ensure is that walkers and cyclists visiting Marple are safe.  The flow and speed of the current traffic does not lend itself to a cycle lane.  Lets not forget that cycle lanes on major roads are usually on flat wide roads.  Dan Bank is a very steep hill that most cyclists (myself included ) can not cycle up.  Therefore it remains Paramount that when for example a family with young children or indeed a novices cyclist can take their time and wobble a bit, knowing that they will not be swept of their bike by a Quarry lorry speeding past.  Is it unreasonable to want to make the road safe?  Or do you suggest that I put a room aside at my house for a treatment room for injured walkers / cyclists  ???

Tricky

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:27:24 AM »
Strines Road, 3 deaths in 10 years.
Well Victor maybe SMBC can become proactive with preventative measures so that Dan Bank does not have to acquire its slow down signs because of several deaths.

perhaps a cycle track would be proactive ?

May I ask you Miss Marple, as I'm not too clear on your initial post, are you saying that you think the traffic is driving along Stockport Road at a greater speed than it used to? - and that this is because of the new lights at Seventeen Windows?

meh

Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:07 AM »
I must say I'm struggling to make sense of this, but as far as I can work out, the point being put forward is that as the traffic on Dan Bank goes too fast, it is therefore a bad idea to build a separate cycle track alongside it.   Is that right?  In which case, it makes the legendary Seventeen Windows thread seem positively rational.     ;)  

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:54 PM »
Well Victor maybe SMBC can become proactive with preventative measures so that Dan Bank does not have to acquire its slow down signs because of several deaths. Strangely enough I had noticed the fixed speed signs on Strines Road which are only placed when there has been a sufficient number of deaths to justify the cost of fixed speed signs. My hope is that Dan Bank can acquire its traffic signs  by preventative measures rather than after a crisis  >:( I hope you and other readers  would agree  ???

nbt

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »
Whilst I have every sympathy for Miss Marple's case for making Dan Bank safer, for all road users, I do not think that any form of traffic calming should be installed. I have travelled up and down Dan Bank for the past thirty five years and seen very few accidents. The VAST majority of drivers using Dan Bank do so responsibly. It is the irresponsible ones who drive without due care that are involved in accidents. The rest of us just get frustrated at the queues into and out of Marple and would hate to see things made worse.

To improve the safety of children crossing the road a crossing with lights could be installed. The children can then press the button just for fun, and wander across the road some yards (or metres) away from the proper crossing to 'look cool'.

Victor M's admission that he weaves in and out of the traffic only confirms my opinion of cyclists.  The provision of cycle track, which would probably be part of an widened pavement would put the pedestrians at risk from inconsiderate cyclists.

In any case, the pot holes have a traffic calming effect !

If fewer people drove, then the traffic would flow more freely. Unfortunately, all the driver think they shold be allowed to drive and everyone else should stop driving so that they can have traffic free roads. As for cyclists weaving in and out of traffic, well if I wanted to sit in traffic I'd be in the car: when on the bike I will be moving faster than queuing traffic so I will make progress in the safest way possible, which is usually down the outside of the traffic. You do sometimes get motorists who don't consider other road users and stick to the white line, though thankfully not often. That's heading down Dan Bank of course, coming into Marple I frankly don;t trust drivers to pass safely, so I use the old Marple Hall road round the back of the school, technically it's a footpath nowadays but it's fine for bikes if you heave your bike over the fence at the bottom
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Victor M

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:09:51 AM »