Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Receiving BBC Wales on Freeview  (Read 16689 times)

tonyjones

Re: Receiving BBC Wales on Freeview
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »
This is a widepsread problem.
An article in the paper the other day reported that residents in the Ribble valley had this problem
A web site says it is common in Cheshire and the Wirral.

My Thomson set top box sorted the channels, on the second attempt, and it has BBC1 (NW) in position 1 etc. The Panasonic TV has the Welsh channels in 1,2,3,& 4 with no chance of sorting them.

I do not know if a new, more directional aerial, will help but it would be nice if someone, or organisation like Digitaluk, offered some solution to the problem.

Tricky

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
I had this on a Philips digibox - I imagine you can solve your problem in a similar way

rather than 'add new channels'

Reset (to factory settings)

Do new automatic channel search

Took about a minute and all was fixed !

meh

amazon

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
you can obtain a filter from. dowells  of new mills this should sort it . if not he will do it for you .

alfred

Receiving BBC Wales on Freeview
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
I wonder how many residents are now receiving BBC Wales instead of BBC NW after the digital changeover.
When I re-tuned all the Welsh channels BBC1 Wales, BBC2 Wales, ITV Wales and S4C came up as Channels 1,2,3 and 4. This is most anoying if you watch regional news programmes as I do. The NorthWest Regional stations were allocated to 801 to 804 on my Panasonic TV and were impossible to move.

The reason for this is that since changever the new digital transmitters have been increased in power by a factor of 10. This is good for bad reception areas but has the added effect that some receivers in Transmitter overlap areas are not only picking up signals from Winter Hill which is correct but also signals from Moel y Parc the Welsh transmitter. Some TVs (or Freeview boxes) gets confused with this and allocate the lowest frequency which unfortunately in our case are from Wales to the prime positions 1 to 4. Panasonic devices seem to be particularely affected. I managed to put things right with a pad (a technical device) but some expertice is needed.

Are there many other residents having this trouble?