Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Longhurst Lane Wall  (Read 2754 times)

Dave

Re: Longhurst Lane Wall
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »
The job is now finished, and the wall looks good.  I hear it did indeed cost the earth, though  ::)

Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:11:26 AM »
Excellent news - well done alfred!    ;D

alfred

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!

The head of Engineering Consultancy has listened to our protestations and has changed the plans for the wall. It is now to have coping stones similar to those on the newly refurbished wall ajoining Caterick Bridge 100 yards further up Longhirst Lane. The stone has to be ordered so work is not expected to commence until the end of January.

Its nice to know that sometimes the Council are prepared listen, now I know its Christmas! ;D

alfred

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
I now understand from the Mellor Society that the original plan was to cap the wall with stones set in a castellation fashion, the same as the wall built about two years ago at the junction of Offerton Rd and Marple Rd opposite 17 Windows - which I personally think lookes hideous even after it has weathered.

I would urge anyone who wishes to preserve the unique character of our area to petition those in authority to think again. Half moon type capping stones similar to those on the walls at Caterick Bridge 500yards up from the Tan Pit wall and the River wall in Town St. Marple Bridge would be totally in keeping. The person responsible for the new wall  is:-

Martin Rigby B.Eng, C.Eng, M.I.C.E
Head of Engineering Consultancy Services
Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
Engineering Consultancy Services
103 Wellington Road South
Stockport Council
SK1 3TT

I am writing to him; I hope others will also do so.

marveld

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
I've not seen the wall on Longhurst Lane, but I did recently notice most of the flat capping stones had been stolen from the wall on Brabyns Brow near the curry house!!

alfred

Longhurst Lane Wall
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »
We now have a nice new stone wall half way up Longhurst Lane which must have cost the earth but it looks unfinished. Is the top of it going to be finished with proper capping stones like the wall near Caterick Bridge and if so what is the delay? Does anyone know? ;)