Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: William V Garner, Photographer  (Read 2413 times)

chslady

Re: William V Garner, Photographer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the info on W V Garner. One of the photos I have is of a wedding and guessing at the people on it, it was probably taken 1929/30, probably taken at Compstall. The other photo is of an unknown man, again guessing its a family member.  I am still doing some searches into these photos and will keep in mind your offer of putting them on your web site.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: William V Garner, Photographer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
W V Garner of Marple Bridge was the official photographer at the dedication of Marple War Memorial Park in 1922, and all the formal group photos we have on the tour of that day were taken by him:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=51

He seems to have been pretty prolific. I collect postcards and a quick scan through shows many by him. I haven't found one later than the early 30s, but many are not dated and don't have readable postmarks.

If you've got some photos that we don't have in the Virtual Tour already then don't forget that you can share them with everyone by sending us scans of them or lending them to us to scan. This may even help you to find out the dates and names of people that you are hpoing for.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

chslady

William V Garner, Photographer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:32:34 PM »
Hello
I recently have been given some photographs (in the form of a postcard) and on the back is a stamp with Garner, Marple Bridge on it. I would like to try and date these photos and then hopefully identify the people in them.

A few internet searches tells me that this is probably William V Garner, Photographer of Marple Bridge. Can anyone help with any information on him. What years did he live and work in Marple Bridge? Anything at all which may help me in my search.  Many thanks.

chslady