To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Cannon Ball Found at Marple Hall  (Read 2845 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Cannon Ball Found at Marple Hall
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:32:04 AM »
Photos of the cannonball where it was found would be great, thank you. We'd be very pleased to receive photos from Rollins Lane Cottage too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
  Yes i will take a couple of photos in the exact spot that my husband found it and send them in.   There are a couple of similar cannon balls at St Mary's church on the market but they are unsure where they came from.  At least we are 100 % sure where this one came from.  I also used to live at Rollins Cottage in Brabyns park (you have the picture already on your web sight) and I have some pictures of that so I will try to find them and send you copies

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
An interesting story! Any chance of a photo or two of the cannonball for our collection of relics and souvenirs on the virtual tour?

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=9
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

Cannon Ball Found at Marple Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »
Around six years ago my husband was walking our dog around the ruins at Marple Hall and stumbled on what he thought was a stone. This would have been  around the area of  where the clock tower and stables had been when the house was at its glory.    After closer investigation he noticed that the object was metal.  We had, had a lot of rain that year and the object looked like it had been washed to the surface.  My husband brought the object home and washed it.  He thought that it was a cannon ball but I was sceptical and tried to convince him that it was a ball of a gate post from the hall.   My husband remained adamant saying that he had seen a similar objest in a museum so really believed that it was a cannon ball from the civil war.  I contacted Steve Cliffe from the Heritage Magazine who sent it off to the official place at Leeds to have it authenticated. The information came back from Leeds that it had been  officially authenticated by them  as cannon ball.  So here it sits on top of my kitchen unit until we decide what to do with it.  It proves a very interesting topic of conversation when we have friends round.