Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207815 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
Well i would like to flippin well  discuss the the fact that we are paying for it !!!   Where is our MP and Co when you need them :-\  It would be my view that the monies spent on ground work and so called landscaping would have been better spent on purchasing the Pink House and using it as a visitor centre .  Although there may be a deferred payment attached to Seventeen Windows if the owner lacked the immediate funds needed.   UPDATE  :o I decided to contact the Highways Dept who inform me that it is true the have acquired land 2Mtr from the owner of Seventeen Windows and because they had to take down the original wall in order to widen the pavement they then had to undertake the work so that the banking did not slide.  I have asked for a break down of the costs but was informed that this is not usual practice but if I write in and request the total cost of the work undertaken they will provide it   ::)WATCH THIS SPACE !!!!!

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »
I could rise to the bait and point out deciding something as a "stupid comment" depends on your point of view and how opinionated you are (and is actually quite rude!) however I wont

sooty2

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
I would imagine the cost of the groundworks will eventually cost more than the value of the property. Labour,plant hire and materials are very expensive, there are  a lot of men on the job and it seems to be taking forever. Things just dont add up if this is being paid for by the owner. Its like buying a 100k house and spending 150k on the garden! And NO Lisa i dont think we want to discuss the walls or maybe some people do just for the hell of it.parts of this topic have  gone way of track with stupid comments. Thanks Mark for bringing it back in line. >:(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
I would imagine that you are paying for it as part of the pavement widening project.

If you really wanted to stir things up you might want to think about this comment. When Sooty2 first made it I thought "don't be daft, that can't be right!" but I spoke to someone last night with information to suggest that it is absolutely correct. I was told that the council are paying for ALL the landscape works as part of the pavement widening scheme. That would seem to be a bit of impressive negotiation for a thin strip of land :o 
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
wonder if we are now going to "discuss" whether we like the brick wall.. should it really be stone ? :)

not that I m stirring at all  ;)

sooty2

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2009, 10:52:03 AM »
I would imagine that you are paying for it as part of the pavement widening project. It looks like a fort at present! ::)

Barbara

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
I dread to think of the cost involved, but it is beginning to look as if the completed project will be rather good.  It is really taking shape now.

sooty2

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »
Thanks for that NBT, I do hope so. I have seen cages filled with stone on riverbanks and used as walling with rock plants growing down it.

nbt

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2009, 10:38:25 PM »
metal cages being filled with random size stone to make walling.
It's used to make a retaining structrure actually, to stop the bank sliding down into the road. 12 months after the work has finished you won;t even know it's therre
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

sooty2

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
Passed Seventeen windows today. Work has started again after many weeks of inactivity. metal cages being filled with random size stone to make walling. How very modern, Would look good next to a contemporary building. There must be a new build close by, perhaps its behind some trees. Yes I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

sooty2

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
I was talking to my husband this morning and he thinks that about seven children died in the fire at seventeen windows  ...

Now as for HIS thoughts on what Seventeen windows looks like now , I wish I had never asked !!  He thinks it looks dreadful, cant believe they got permission to do the things they had , AND says there are ways and means  to support a building  without huge staples in the front ... a lecture of how they did it in the old days followed, and how that way could have been done now  ... to then a discussion about similar projects being approved at his work place  ...

Im not swayed  ... honest Im not !!!  :P

Come on board Mr Panther, you seem to know your stuff.

Just moved your bit out of the quote block Sooty2!

LittleBiker

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »
tbh i think that work in progress is jus that, and people with nothing better to do than put other peoples hard work on a web forum an complian and moan about it without seing any final drawings of the property in question is jus down right rude and ignorant. me i love building work in progress its shows what people can do, when all that could of happened to 17 windows could of been a bull dozer.i think marple residents should wait an then be greatful for a truely historic ( historic in the eyes of older marple residents ) building to be renovated an left still standing for all to admire.
i will wait but i dont think ill be suprised when it all turns out for the best.......
 :D

Rachael

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »
I was talking to my husband this morning and he thinks that about seven children died in the fire at seventeen windows  ...

Now as for HIS thoughts on what Seventeen windows looks like now , I wish I had never asked !!  He thinks it looks dreadful, cant believe they got permission to do the things they had , AND says there are ways and means  to support a building  without huge staples in the front ... a lecture of how they did it in the old days followed, and how that way could have been done now  ... to then a discussion about similar projects being approved at his work place  ...

Im not swayed  ... honest Im not !!!  :P

twinkletoes

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »
Thats what I got told, he would put a new window in for every new child, kind of glad they stopped at 17!

Rachael

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
I was always told that it was called 17 windows, because thats how many children the guy had. Is this true? I also got told not all of them lived? I did always think that was a lot of "wit woo" going on in that house.  ;) Even for back then.

:o

Just going around my house now counting the windows and starting to get a bit worried ....  by rights, I should only have two windows !!!!

I shall tell my husband that confession is good for the soul !!