A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207868 times)

sooty2

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #241 on: October 30, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
Managed to stop at the Dan Bank traffic lights today. The plaque looks like a picture of how it used to look and how I think it should look now. >:( FOR SALE!!!! I dont believe it? as Victor Meldrew would say. I said in post 69 that I thought it would be sold. I wonder how much this much subsidised property is worth now? Does anyone know which agent if any it is with? Laurels have been planted today, at last some greenery ::)

Harry

« Reply #240 on: October 30, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »
I see that Seventeen Windows has now gone up for sale.

sooty2

« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
Looks like there is a plaque on the rendered wall of Seventeen Windows. Does anyone know what it says? My eyes are bad ,Ive just thought ,it could be a burglar alarm! ;D

sooty2

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »
Does anyone know what the planting is at 17 windows? It looks like quick growing weeds.Still its better than nothing. Hope any future trees and bushes grow as quick, I wonder when the flag will be hoisted on the top? ;D

moonforest

« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »
Even better Marple now has its own junior Colditz Castle - perhaps it will become a tourist attraction?

lol I'll be thinking of that every time I pass it now!!

sooty2

« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
Yes I agree with you. Its just not right that its got PP. I mentioned in post 69 how buildings in Chester and York have been restored sympathetically. But not many people seem to care. Sign of the times perhaps? It surprises me really as Marple has quite a bit of history to it, and some buildings, especially such a landmark as 17 Windows should be kept as it was, externally of course :(

jcc

« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
I am not that interested in who paid for what as the Government and Councils spend most of their time wasting our money and this is a tiny proportion of that. The key thing for me is the unsympathetic 'restoration' perhaps the wrong word of 17 windows. The building could have easily been saved and retained the original character without the use of the dreadful rendering. The buildings original character was based on the brick construction and that has been lost entirely. As for the garden, what a greeting for anyone entering Marple! I live in a conservation area and any changes we have made have been subject to jumping through numerous hoops by conservation officers - it looks like this development was immune from that process. I assume this is because it is not a conservation area and its not a listed building? All very sad and to be quite honest they might as well have knocked the building down and built something new!

Dave

« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
Quickly nurse, the screens, the screens.........    ;)

sooty2

« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
Where have you been JCC? Its six months  since you posted. Its not got any better has it? Its so good to have a supporter on board :) Ive been slogging away on this topic with a few avid objectors for over six months. Have you read all the posts? They make interesting reading, and often humorous. I think if we all met each other there could be fisticuffs ;D Im only joking for the more serious amongst us! Forts,castles,stockades,themepark and now Alamo and Colditz. Yes Yes yes! Two more people who are not wearing rose coloured specs. welcome BikeyPierre, did you fall off your bike when you passed it? Ive seem motorists straining their necks with backward glances as they pass it. I can imagine people seeing it and saying what the hell have they done to that? lets all hope for a miracle or an act of God so that someday, someway it will once again become a house and garden thats fits in with its surroundings, Is a miracle an act of god? i think so :P This topic is going crazy at he moment with nearly one hundred hits a day! Someone wanted me to leave it alone around five and half thousand views back. Its incredible the interest being shown.

bikeypierre

« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »
The place is an eyesore. Heard a rumour that the name will be changed to "The Alamo"

jcc

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
Even better Marple now has its own junior Colditz Castle - perhaps it will become a tourist attraction?

Tricky

« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
No Motor Vehicles, Except for Access.

::)

this may be interesting to some of you
http://www.planning-inspectorate.gov.uk/pins/row_order_advertising/councils/2008/documents/fps_c4235_7_16od.pdf
meh

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
I may be wrong but i thought Marple Old Road was access only?

I'm sure it probably is for cars, and then only from the top, but if you look carefully you will see that the green cycle "lane" already heads up there.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »
I bet the residents on Marple Old Road are pleased!

sooty2

« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
I may be wrong but i thought Marple Old Road was access only?