Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Online image archive launched  (Read 2214 times)

wolfman

Online image archive launched
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »
Stockport Council is launching a new online Image Archive with around 7,000 pictures of the borough dating back to late 1800’s.

Stockport’s Image Archive will be officially launched at an event at Central Library on Tuesday 24th February, from 5.30pm to 7.30pm.

The launch event will give people the chance to get the first glimpse at the extensive range of images on the online archive.

Pictures on the archive range from public houses to churches and festivals to transport giving a fascinating insight into life in Stockport from the late 1800’s right up to the present day.

The online archive contains around 7,000 images and Stockport Council through its Local Heritage Library plans to keep adding to this valuable resource from its own collection, and with images donated by the public.

Councillor Shan Alexander, Executive Member for Leisure, said: “This is a fantastic resource for Stockport residents of all ages. I enjoyed looking at the changes and the progress made in Stockport over the years. I encourage people to look at their own local history - there is so much to see and learn, and I'm sure there will be a few surprises in the archive."

The online Image Archive can be viewed at www.stockport.gov.uk/imagearchive from 24th February.

People wanting to attend the launch event or add images to the archive should contact Stockport Local Heritage Library on 0161 474 4530 or email localheritagelibrary@stockport.gov.uk

from SMBC website author unknown