Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Lost right of way?  (Read 2525 times)

Rudolph Hucker

Re: Lost right of way?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
Many thanks for the info Wolfman/Dave. I have e-mailed the Council and will wait for their response. As the path no longer goes anywhere I doubt the Ramblers Association or Footpath Society would be interested but I won't rule them out....

Dave

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »
The definitive map is kept by the local authority - see contact details above.  However, for all practical purposes, if a path is marked in red on the 1:50,000 OS map, then it is a right of way.  If your neighbours have indeed blocked a right of way, that's a serious matter and the Council should intervene.  If they don't respond promptly, you could report it to the Peak and Northern Footpaths Society, who will certainly be interested.  http://www.peakandnorthern.org.uk/

If the path is not currently shown in red on the OS map or on the definitive map at Stockport Council, it could still be an old and disused right of way, in which case this link may be useful:  http://www.ramblers.org.uk/rights_of_way/volunteer_opportunities/forgotten_paths_project/welcome.htm

wolfman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
Public Rights of Way Officer
2nd Floor Hygarth House, 103 Wellington Road South, Stockport, SK1 3TT
Tel. No. 0161 474 4850
Fax. 0161 474 4586
Email. prow@stockport.gov.uk

Rudolph Hucker

Lost right of way?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:37:53 AM »
Does anyone know who to contact at the council to report a suspected "capture" of a public right of way. A former path, believed to be a right of way, near me (even though it didn't go anywhere) has been fenced off to extend the neighbouring garden. My understanding is that if such an act is not challenged then the right of way is eventually lost. I'd quite like to inform the council a) to establish if indeed it was a right of way enclosed and b) whether there is any agument to re-instate it.

Many thanks in advance...