Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Bogus soccer scout alert  (Read 1674 times)

wolfman

Bogus soccer scout alert
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
Bogus soccer scout alert
Paul Britton
24/ 1/2009

A BOGUS United football scout is being hunted over fears he attempted to lure youngsters away from their parents.

Thousands of junior clubs have been warned after the fraudster spoke to under-12s coaches and said he was interested in offering three boys Old Trafford trials.

He spoke to the Poynton Juniors FC manager in front of parents, but officials at the Stockport club became suspicious when he couldn't produce any official identification.

The club contacted Manchester United, who confirmed the man was had nothing to do with them.

He supplied a false mobile phone number and address - before leaving the playing fields on a bicycle.

Vigilant

Police have urged parents to be vigilant - and a number of schools have also been informed.

Richard Gregg, chairman of the Stockport Metropolitan Junior Football League, said: "It is quite worrying. We are making sure that everyone has been advised and e-mails have been circulated to clubs. If anybody claims to be a scout they must have the appropriate identification."

Joanna Madyarchyk, Manchester FA's county welfare officer, confirmed all junior clubs in Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside and Lancashire had been warned.

She said: "If this is someone who wants to groom a child they will have no boundaries. They will travel where they want to travel."

The man is in his mid to late 40s, 5ft 8in, with grey hair and a distinctive tattoo of a tear under the corner of each eye. He called himself Gary at the Poynton Juniors training ground.

Stained

Manager Adrian Booth said he was wearing a wool cap and had black paint on his nicotine-stained hands.

He said: "I noticed that he was hanging around and I thought it was a bit strange. He approached and said he was a Manchester United scout who had been sent to look at the team.

"He said he had been watching and liked the look of three of the boys. He asked me not to say anything to anyone.

"He did not look right and I just got a sense. I took his details and he left on a mountain bike."

A Manchester United spokesman said: "All our scouts always carry identification and we would urge parents to be vigilant."

from MEN website