Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Wheelie bins coming to Stockport  (Read 2421 times)

alison

Re: Wheelie bins coming to Stockport
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
Ah yes the 'consultation' - I took part in that.

It consisted of one question with 4 options. Option one was have all the bins no matter what the size of your property. The other options were take all your stuff to the tip yourself, share a bin with a neighbour (not quite sure how you fight over the fine when one puts the wrong stuff in) - can't remember what the 4th was but it was another braniac option. there was no opportunity for comments at all. the consultation was obviously rigged to allow them to put out a press release saying the majority of residents supported the plans.

I do recycle and want to do more but there are other options to huge wheelie bins. For a start I know that the trucks that are used by the council are capable of dealing with smaller sized bins - I would be happier to have smaller bins as they might fit alongside the car in my garage (if the car breathes in a bit). I am also quite happy with the blue bag system and it encourages people to recycle more - huge bins encourage more waste.

I live in a terrace and the council will not collect from the rear of the property - therefore my only option will be bins cluttering up the place outside the front of my property, probably being tipped over by the people who pass by after pub chucking out time, with no way for me to control who puts what in them.

I personally don't feel consulted!

Sorry - rant over - this is one of my personal bugbears!

Alison

wolfman

Wheelie bins coming to Stockport
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »

Stockport households are set to receive an improved recycling service next year with some properties receiving wheelie bins for the first time.

Stockport Council is currently planning improvements to the way it collects recycling and refuse across the borough. These improvements are being made to make it even easier for residents to recycle. The Council aims to be recycling 40% of its waste by 2010 and this new system is necessary in order to reach this target.

By 2010, most Stockport residents will be able to recycle the following from their doorsteps:

Glass bottles and jars.

Plastic bottles.

Food tins and drinks cans.

Mixed paper, card, cardboard and cartons.

Food waste which will be collected weekly.
Households will receive a brown and a blue bin for recycling with an additional black bin for waste that cannot be recycled. To collect the food waste, a food caddy with liners will be provided.

The roll-out of the wheelie bins will start in Summer 2009 with brown bins and blue bins being delivered across Stockport. The black bins and food caddies will be delivered to households the following year. The bins are being rolled out in this way so Stockport Council will be able to make full use of the new waste disposal facilities which will become available in Greater Manchester over the next two years.

The Council has also looked at what service could be provided to residents who live in properties which may have access and storage issues and have consulted with a sample of these households. The majority of those consulted chose to have all three bins. However, homes unable to have these bins because of specific access and storage problems will remain on a box and paper sack service.

Councillor Stuart Bodsworth, Executive Member for the Environment said: “The improvements we are making to the recycling and waste collection system in Stockport will make it even easier for residents to recycle a whole range of materials at their doorstep. 30,000 households have already received a blue bin and we’ve had positive feedback from residents who have been using them and lots of requests from people looking forward to getting the service. Our recycling rates are currently the highest in Greater Manchester but we can’t afford to rest on this success - we need to do more to divert waste away from expensive and environmentally damaging landfill.”

For further information about recycling go to www.stockport.gov.uk/waste

from Stockport.gov website author unknown