Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Linked Events

• Marple Carnival: June 21, 2008

Author Topic: Marple Carnival 2008 [WHAT WAS THAT!]  (Read 7770 times)

twinkletoes

Re: Marple Carnival 2008 [WHAT WAS THAT!]
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
I'm only saying what I have heard other people say! Its not the commitiees fault its the lack of people wanting to take part, why don't they send out proper little invertations to all the carnival queens and local shops invitiing them to the carnival, I can't belive that the co-op doesnt do anything. ;D

Peter

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »
Oh yes, I dare, but I'm sure whatever you say is right Twinkletoes!...... Hmmm.

twinkletoes

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »
I don't need to go to a meeting as I know someone in it and they know what myself and family think, When I have walked around the last 13 years in the carnival there are spots where its dead. I love the carnival don't get me wrong, but I ws ashamed for my friend who after 20 mins and the last flot went by turned to me and said..............IS THAT IT? my reply was yeah and I felt very embarissed and then the wait for it to make its way back was unbelivable.
I have always belived in Marple and I have always been proud of my home time and how DARE PETER! you say that I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO MOAN, HOW DARE YOU! I do alot for marple and give up my spare time in anyway I can, not only do I work 10 hrs every day but I HELP MY TOWN!
 >:(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »
Regarding the Carnival date, it is ALWAYS the third Saturday in June, simple as that, it is not tied to Father's Day although that does often fall the day after. Of course if you buy a Marple & Mellor calendar there can be no confusion as we always include the date of the Carnival on it because it is such a special day in Marple. Father's Day is alway on it too!

One of the problems with taking part in the parade is the high cost of insurance for using a vehicle as a float. This is the main reason for the reduced size of the parade over recent years. I was talking to Carnival Bill on Sunday and he said that apparently rumours are spreading already that there will not be a Carnival next year. He has asked me to state on the web site that this is not true, and there will definitely be a Carnival in 2009. I for one am very pleased at that because it is a brilliant event that is supported by (almost) everyone in Marple.

It came close to us not having a parade this year, due to the policing and highways issues but the Carnival Committee managed to overcome those and keep it going. It is possible that the insurance issues may put the parade at risk next year and that would be a great shame but the Carnival will still go on while Bill and his small team can find a way.

I was disappointed by your comments Twinkletoes, especially as I know your personal links to the carnival. You needn't worry that I'll reveal your identity but perhaps you should go along to that meeting Chris has invited you to and see if you can do something more positive about the way you feel than throw rocks.

Well done to everyone else for leaping to support our Carnival.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

chris

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »
Hello Twinkeltoes,

Thank you for your comments about this years Carnival I find it a little bit strange that you take this view and  invite you to attend one of our meetings where we could talk about your suggestion to change the carnival to just a fair in park which I think is just a bit short sighted taking into consideration that all the monies raised are distributed to local charities last year this figure was £5500 which with your suggestion would be lost
Looking at the rest of the people who have commented on the carnival it does look as though you are one in a minority but please do not let that put you off we would be glad to hear your suggestions or perhaps for you to join the carnival committee.

Chris

eeyore21

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
susan i think fathers day date changed. carnival is always around the weekend of my youngest birthday which you well know cos we always combine the two and you do both lol  ;D ;D ;D

alan@marple

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 02:38:34 PM »
Well I am away in Wales at the moment so I missed the Carnival and the bridge opening.

My family, who attended both events have told me what a wonderful time they had on both days and most people appeared to be enjoying themselves.

Well done Bill Arden and his team and to Peter and Mark and the team.

PS. Even saw Peter and Mark in their new T shirts on the tele in Wales

Susan

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Sorry twinkletoes, but i now live in Dukinfield, and i came up for the carnival, rather than going to the one close to me. The park is always full of stalls, and things for kids to do. The possession has gone down from what it was years ago, but i can see that it is coming back to a very high standard. The children and adults looked like they enjoyed themselves just a pity about the weather, saying that if it was too hot we all would be complaining about that. Thanks to all the people in the background that never get a mention. Heres to next years. Can i just ask, why was it put back a week, it normally falls the day before fathers day.

Peter

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »
Every community has to have a whinging, sit on their backside killjoy who opens mouth before engaging brain. Twinkletoes seems, on present & past posts, to be filling that role admirably! Well Done!!!

Rachael

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:50:07 AM »
Re: WHAT WAS THAT!

What was that????  That was the Marple carnival, which myself and my family enjoyed, THAT was a parade, that no matter how big or small, people took the time and effort to get together, made costumes,  volunteers gave up their time , collected money for charity etc, etc.  They worked really really hard.

You say you have not watched it for years and years, why not?  ( have you always lived in Marple during this time, and if so, maybe if you supported it more, then you would get more out of it??)

How can you say you are ashamed of living in Marple??  What message is that to the people that actually participated in the carnival in whichever way big or small?

The carnival needs supporting.

If everyone had YOUR attitude, then the carnival would die a death, what you have said isnt fair, it isnt particularly nice either.

:(

tina

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 08:12:41 PM »
Me and my children enjoyed it also!   It would be a shame if it was scraped...(1 question though...where was the dancing men this year?)
Twinkletoes shame on you! did you not see the crowds who turned out to watch? and do so year in year out! it makes me very proud to live in Marple!

Howard

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
Twinkletoes, you must have been watching a different carnival, because I thought it was great and significantly better than in recent years. Maybe, because you haven't seen it for thirteen years you have memories that make it seem bigger and more impressive that it ever really was.

The community turned out despite the weather and there were some really excellent and imaginative representations. All Saints School were great, Brabyns was good as usual and the Scouts Centenary Centipede (100 legs = 100 years of scouting in Marple!) was fantastic (although my son said it was unbelievably hot in there and he was grateful for the cooler weather. It was good to see representation from outside the area with the Brinnington Samba band and the marvelous Greater Manchester Fire Service Pipe Band - worthy winners of the best parade entry.

There was good participation from the local businesses and charities and he community turned out in force for their stalls in Memorial Park and my family and I spent the whole day there. Along with today's Bridge opening this was a great weekend and worthy of the community spirit that makes Marple, with a population of 25,000, seem like a village rather than the town that it is.

twinkletoes

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
Well.....After 13 years not watching the carnival, I decided to watch it this year with a friend. I feel very ashamed of saying that I live in Marple and to think I was always proud to take part in the commuity sprite!
20 min it lasted and everyone looked sad, yes the weather didn't help matters but we are repersent or home town, let say scrap the carnival and just have the fair in the park.
I feel so sorry for the commitiee who work all year to get it perfect and to make it a wonderful day and the girls  who arre the carnival royatly.
[/img]
[/size]

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:59 AM »
Full details of the Marple Carnival Programme are now available on the main site, see www.marple-uk.com/carnival
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »
I missed loads when I was a a yoof. The Greater Manchester Schools Athletics Championships were always held on the same day and as I was competing there, I was never able to see the parade. However, I do remember the leg-slapping, pom-pom-waving all-girl marching bands. When those girls came into school on the Monday morning they all had MASSIVE bruises on their legs where they had spent a hour or so and 4 miles walking along slapping their legs. The boys were fairly merciless in teasing them about it. Those were the days when the parade was a lot longer and finished at Brabyns Park after going down Station Road.

I have watched them all since my kids were old enough to enjoy them and have even taken part in a few as part of the Rose Hill group.