Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: can you remember  (Read 4777 times)

useful

Re: can you remember
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »
Thanks Ray,

This house you talk about belonged to Harry Goddard, and yes I can believe that they gave a good tip for Christmas.

During the War Harry used to go out in the first truck in the convoy at 12 midnight with his Employees because he would not let his workers take all the risks, he also gave his workers a hamper and £100. bonus for Christmas.

The Buckingham part of the firm was his Sister.

Elaine Goddard (Harry Goddard's Daughter) had a race horse at this house you talk about, the horse was called Pelican Star and the jokey was called Ray Mullins?.

This is all I know.

Thank you
Hilary

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
In the 1950s I delivered milk to a large stone house on Ridge Road between Telford Road and Tabley Gardens. The house belonged to either Mr. Goddard or Mr. Buckingham I am not sure which but they gave a good tip at Christmas. Ray

useful

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »
Harry Goddard of Buckingham & Goddard was my Ex-Husbands Granddad, My Children are Harry Goddard's Great-Grandchildren, all the older members of the family have passed away and my Ex-Husband knows very little about his Granddads firms, Buckingham & Goddard, Melba Motors, or anything else, so if anyone has anymore info about this I would be pleased to hear from you.

Thank you
Hilary

heather

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
mum talks about goddard and buckingham they were a haulage company she lived where the romantica is at the bottom of derby way her mum and dad were alice and jim howard

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »
Glovers took over the shop when Mrs Rhodes retired. RAY.

eeyore21

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »
not sure about this one but i seem to remember being told that my gran and grandad used to run the dairy that stood where littlewoods butchers is now they were called glover. littlewoods butchers was on the corner where the pram shop went. (i know that one is right) and before they moved to where they are now did it used to be a furniture shop.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
Littlewoods butchers was a corner grocers shop owned by Mr.& Mrs Rhodes they also had milk round and dairy at the back of the shop the milk was supplied by Percy Buxton farm Bottoms Hall Farm down the lakes.the car park behind Littlewoods was a street of about three houses and the bigger carpark belonged to Buckingham & Goddard haulage contractors and after, Arther Walsh used it as his builders yard Artur walsh also had two shops on Market street. Ray

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
The slaughterhouse  and yard was on the carpark behind the bookies and what was the pram shop which up to  the middle 60s was Walkers Butchers the slaughterhouse  closed during the war and opened again about 1953. I remember the three Willson boys who's parents had the confectioners shop on Market street, there back bedroom overlooked the stockyard and the cattle kept them awake at night.  RAY.  (I think the butchers was Walkers)

Diane Chew

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:25:20 AM »
<font color='#000000'>dad asked me tonight if i could remember what the name of the cottages  that stood on the corner of church lane and hibbert lane  (where the local carpark is) was i have had a quick look on the photos  but couldnt find the name thanks</font>
It's a long time since you asked this but I've only just joined the forum. I can't remember the cottages but my father always referred to the carpark as the Cattle Yard or something like that. I always assumed it to have been a sort of "waiting room" for Littlewood's slaughter house (yes, I am going back a fair bit!)

heather

can you remember
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:43:41 PM »
dad asked me tonight if i could remember what the name of the cottages  that stood on the corner of church lane and hibbert lane  (where the local carpark is) was i have had a quick look on the photos  but couldnt find the name thanks