Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Iron Bridge Opening Ceremony  (Read 6919 times)

Rachael

Re: Iron Bridge Opening Ceremony
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
Congratulations x

What a fantastic opening ceremony.

Well done x

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
We tried to get the council to purchase the cottage when it was up for sale last time and to incorporate it into the project as a tea room / toilets / visitor centre but without success. When we visited the bridge with a member of the Heritage Lottery Fund committee, just before we were awarded the grant, he was greatly enthused when he saw the cottage and was quite disappointed to learn that it wasn't part of the project. With hindsight we should have pushed much harder........

The cottage has, or is about to change hands. We have not met the new owner(s) yet but hear hopeful things about their plans for it. Let's hope that they will do justice to the restored bridge and its wonderful setting. They will certainly receive our support if this is their aim.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »
I think its brilliant - really well done  :) and the tree carving has been started too !!

lots of positive conversations about with the dog walkers and lots have said
when is the house going to be
1 be finished and
2 selling coffees and ice creams!!

andy+kirsty

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »
You didn't tell us what you thought of the restoration!!!

I would have prefered a nice magnolia instead of the white, but you cant have everything!!!! Oscar has duely christened it!

Well done to everyone involved.

Rachael

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »
Myself and my family are really looking forward to the events next weekend, with the carnival and the iron bridge events, its going to be a great weekend. :)

Cycling Duk

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »
 ;D   Well I thought the bridge was excellent although I would have preferred the bridge as it used to be without the large green rails and stainless steel wires, but that is due to the increasingly nanny state we live in today. My Dog also was well chuffed at being able to access the path down by the river and up onto the canal with the ability to access Romiley and Marple for shopping and the Strines direction for long walks and back via the Roman Bridge.

As a cyclist I do not like the chicane at the Rollins Lane end, not sure that you can get a Tandem through there or a bike with a buggy in tow.

We are both really pleased that it is open again.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »
Technically you were a close third, unless you class these two as workmen  ::)

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Peter

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »
You didn't tell us what you thought of the restoration!!!

Cycling Duk

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
 ;D   I have just walked across the Iron Bridge a 16-20 hrs today (Friday 13th June) I was told that I was the first non-workman to cross, so it is now open.

Cycling Duk 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »
The Iron Bridge will be open to the public from about 6pm this evening. The formal opening ceremony will be next Sunday 22nd June, as described below. Some photos of the scaffold removal and final tidy up have been added to the Virtual Tour at : http://www.visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0

You can also get a great view from the web cam now at www.marple-uk.com/webcam as the restored bridge is fully revealed.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
I was sort of (totally selflishly) hoping for it to be delayed again as I'm working on the 22nd   :(

Hey ho... I'll have to cope with a walk over it on Friday 13th (!!) instead

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »
The diary has now been updated again and there are new photos in the Virtual Tour. Latest forecast for the bridge to reopen for public use is late afternoon Friday 13th June but this is dependant on decent weather next week allowing all the remaining work to be finished.

www.marple-uk.com/ironbridge

http://www.visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

nbt

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »
Thanks Mark, 31st May was the date I'd been told (came from the stockport ROW department) but I did notice the mention of delays in the diary hence the question
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
It was due to open by 31st May but it is not yet due to further delays, as we have been reporting for some time in the project diary. The last forecast was for it to be opened on Friday 13th :o but there has been further slippage since that date was declared. I should be going down there later today and will find out what the latest situation is for the diary:

www.marple-uk.com/ironbridge
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

nbt

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »
Is the bridge actually open for use already? I had heard it was due to be opened last week.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist