Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Buses and Air Pollution.  (Read 2271 times)

LittleBiker

Re: Buses and Air Pollution.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
i too think that this is not only a unnecessary waste of fuel and energy but also polluting unnecessarily.
they do have minute to minute running board and a stay of over 3-4 minutes should warrant a shut down for all the reasons above.sometimes they are a couple of minutes early and then have at least 6-7 minutes till they depart so the driver really should shut down the engine.

alan@marple

Buses and Air Pollution.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »
It will be noticed that on many occasions buses will park up on the stops in Marple town center by the Hollins, sometimes for up to 5 minutes. I presume that normally they stay that length of time awaiting the appointed time of departure. Often the driver will be seen to be reading a paper or document or even having a drink from his flask-nothing wrong with that and this might seem at first sight to be normal.

But if you will also notice that on most occasions the vehicle is stationary throughout these periods with its engine running and emitting vast amounts of exhaust fumes. This creates and unpleasant and unhealthy environment.

I am not suggesting that the engine should be stopped every time the bus stops to pick up passengers, what I am suggesting is that this health risk could be minimized if only the drivers would think about it.

" Green" is the buzz word these days, but at least the exhaust from the old stagecoaches was good for the environment by way of fertilizer, even if you did have to scrape it up with a shovel