Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Memorial Park  (Read 5124 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Memorial Park
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 08:28:09 PM »
As well as the new sculpture being installed behind the library by Myers Tree Care today the Parks and Rec Team also installed five of our ground sculptures around the original tree sculpture near the bowling green. All in all a very productive day!

Read more about it here : www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/treesculpture.htm

We still have some more surprises in store regarding Andrew Frost's work, so watch this space!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »
Thank you for those comments Barbara & Alison. I've just met with Dave Myers in the park and if all goes to plan the new sculpture will be installed towards the end of next week. I'm delighted to add that Dave is providing the installation service completely free of charge, as he did with all the work on the Iron Bridge. If you ever need any tree work doing you should look no further than www.myerstreecare.co.uk!

While I was in the park a lady came up and told us how pleased she is about the flowerbeds and it's great for the Friends and the Park's Team to know that our efforts are appreciated.

PS - I'm just going to merge this topic with the other one about the park.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Diane Chew

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:33:47 AM »
Thanks for the info.

And yes, Rover, I was one of those children. My friend, Marjorie and I used to ride our (imaginary) horses home from school (Rose Hill CP) in the 1950s and tell ourselves that we'd use the mounting block when we grew up and got our (real) horses.

alison

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »
The sculpture is great - we gave it a hug at Tatton! I will show you the pictures when I next see you!

Alison

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
I hadn't been into the park for a few days, but today noticed how absolutely beautiful the flower beds are.  Well done to the council and the friends of the park, they are a real credit to you.  I am looking forward to seeing the new sculpture too, it looks great. :D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
The old mounting block is still at the corner of Stockport Road and Church Lane, I hope they don't move it as lots of kids climb them and my dog loves to sit on them waiting for a stroke. Before anyone starts going on about preservation orders and damaging it, I and hundreds of other kids used to play on them as kids and I am in my fiftys. ;D

Peter has beat me to it with the link to our heritage page. However, just to clarify with respect to Rover's comments, the steps were moved from outside the Jolly to the site they are on now and they shouldn't be going anywhere!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Peter

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »
For more information on the Jolly steps visit the following link.

http://www.marple-uk.com/heritage/jollysteps.htm

the rover

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
The old mounting block is still at the corner of Stockport Road and Church Lane, I hope they don't move it as lots of kids climb them and my dog loves to sit on them waiting for a stroke. Before anyone starts going on about preservation orders and damaging it, I and hundreds of other kids used to play on them as kids and I am in my fiftys. ;D

Diane Chew

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
Further to the park. My mother tells me that there was talk of relocating the old mounting block from outside the Jolly Sailor to the Memorial Park. Did this ever happen and if so where is it? My Dad used to say it had a preservation order on it.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »
I can only speak for what goes on in Memorial Park but no, that isn't the case there. The money the Friends have raised themselves has generally been spent on extras in the park, like the sculpture (the council contributed to that via the Area Committee and an Arts Grant anyway) the memorial plaque, the circular bench (another council grant) and the Breathing Places, which is Lottery Funded.

The council have also contributed a very significant portion of the cost of the new play equipment (approx 90%). So although it may be a result of our lobbying and campaigning (and I like to think so) the Council certainly haven't been tight with funds in Memorial Park and I would not accept any criticism of them in that respect as to date they have been very supportive of our efforts.

I don’t understand why you are having so much trouble with your proposed sign on the Middlewood Way, it seems a good idea to me, as it should tie in with the new Multi-Modal-User-Trial that will eventually run through Brabyns Park and over the Iron Bridge when that is finished being restored.

I assume you have written to our local councillors about your proposal? I would have thought that this would be an idea that Craig Wright in particular would support, being a key player in the Sustrans bid for the bridge over the weir down at the Dale, which would also tie in nicely with the Middlewood Way.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CTCREP

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Yes the Memorial Park etc is looking fine. It begs the question why Stockport MBC appear to be so opposed to directing visitors to it who have arrived at Rosehill from along the Middlewood Way. Repeated requests for a Notice Board to show the delights of the area are continually ignored.

Does this mean that while the Council advertises itself with innumerable expensive Corporation Signs in all the Parks, "Friends of the Parks etc" have to go fund raising for anything useful.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to say that Alison, it’s much appreciated.

It was quite a timely comment actually as it was the Friends of the Park’s AGM last night. We’ve had an incredibly successful year, our best yet, with £14,000 worth of fund-raising and grant income brought into the park, plus £36,000 spent on the infants play area. The full minutes of the AGM should go on-line over the Easter break I hope.

This success has been achieved by a very small (and dwindling) group of people and we really do need more support. There were only four regular members at last night’s meeting plus one guest and two members of the council’s staff – only just enough to form the committee!

We would welcome more members at our meetings and on the task days on the last Saturday of each month. You only need to spend an hour or so to feel you have done a bit to help, or if you wish you can do much more!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website