Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Forget the Jolly Sailor  (Read 4424 times)

Scott

Forget the Jolly Sailor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2002, 03:47:56 PM »
I know i am biased as i am helping to run the Save the jolly campain but i dont see how u can say that it is the worst building in Marple!  

Yes, it needs a new coat of paint because it does look really bad at the moment, but it actually has a really attractive stone frontage which would look great and really inkeeping with the area if it was renovated.  We dont want to go knocking down old buildings just becasue theyve not been looked after for a few years and are a bit dirty, do we?

THe "save the jolly campain" was started becasue we saw the Jolly Sailor as the ideal building to inspire community involvment through the use of its spaces to promote Marple as an interesting, inculsive, inspiring place to live.  People want to see a building/spaces which are used in service of the local commuity so that we can reduce crime, keep out streets clean and have somwhere to base local volunteer groups as well as provide us with quality entertainment suitable for familys/young/older people.  People also want to see a dedicated heratage/tourist promotion center to benifit our community economically and help us feel proud about where we live and preserve out cultural heratige.

The "save the jolly sailor" campain has cleaned up the car park at the back of the jolly and this involved serveral young/older people who had never taken part in any kind of community involvment before and are now inspired to do more!

Also, if the carpark dissapears then we can expect the shops at the bottom of Marple to dissapear soon after, how do you think things in that area of Marple will look then?  Plus then there is the trasffic problems that extra cars parking in the street may cause, many residents on station road allready think there is a parking problem.  This development is not going to make things any better!

Howard

Forget the Jolly Sailor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 01:43:53 PM »
Ellie - I get the feeling that you are just trolling (to try and get a reaction) - no e-mail address and unregistered on the forum.

Both your recent posts are nothin but whining and complaining with no constructive suggestions. What do YOU think we should do about "the state of Marple"? I you care as much as you profess to, lets see you start to do something about it. Unless you come up with something constuctive, I'm just going to ignore any future posts from you.

Forget the Jolly Sailor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 08:05:00 PM »
Lets forget the jolly sailor. OK, so its not the worst building in Marple Town centre but lets face it, it would be the worst in most other towns. Marple is rapidly resembling Levenshulme and Longsight and the preservation of the Jolly Sailor should be the least of our worries. The Hollins Parade in particular is a disgrace. When was the last time the pavement was cleaned for a start? On most evenings it is crowded by intimidating teenage gangs and strewn with litter. Marple is crying out for some investment and a damn good clean up. Lets start campaigning for that instead of trying to save a run down grotty pub which, after all, became even more grotty and run down than it already was, because nobody over 18 ever wanted to go in it. Lets try and stimulate some interest in Marple so that some of the boarded up buildings can be occupied by decent shops and that the businesses which fled Marple, rather than compete with the 'poverty' shops we currently have, may return.