Call High Lane Garage for a polite, fast response on low mileage cars

Author Topic: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?  (Read 1756 times)

wheels

Re: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 10:08:00 PM »
In those 15 mins most vehicles are sitting there engines idling spewing out pollution. Not ideal for people in nearby houses, or those walking or cycling past.

I certainly accept that a perfectly valid point. My point however is that most of us seem to think that our own time is much more valuable than it really is.

marpleexile

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Unusually I had to drive back into Marple yesterday during rush hour and the traffic was stacked back to just after the petrol station and Spice Tower Indian Restaurant.  It took me about 15 minutes to get home  shuffling slowly along.  I thought is this really such an inconvenience, what is so important that 15 minutes delay matters, what have I got to do that's so important.  A slight delay like this hardly merits the world is coming to an end Marple is gridlocked chants of some. It's just a very mild inconvenience we ought not to get it out of proportion.

15 minutes as an occasional one off is a mild inconvenience. But if you have to do it daily (and most who do, will also have to do it going the other way in a morning), it's at least 2.5 hours a week, which is 130 hours a year. In other words, the equivalent of 16 work days sat in traffic a year!

Cyberman

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
Unusually I had to drive back into Marple yesterday during rush hour and the traffic was stacked back to just after the petrol station and Spice Tower Indian Restaurant.  It took me about 15 minutes to get home  shuffling slowly along.  I thought is this really such an inconvenience, what is so important that 15 minutes delay matters, what have I got to do that's so important.  A slight delay like this hardly merits the world is coming to an end Marple is gridlocked chants of some. It's just a very mild inconvenience we ought not to get it out of proportion.
In those 15 mins most vehicles are sitting there engines idling spewing out pollution. Not ideal for people in nearby houses, or those walking or cycling past.

wheels

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »

bat man

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 08:04:41 AM »
The traffic lights at the junction of Hibbert lane and Stockport road are out of sync with the lights at the junction of Hollins lane,this causes tail backs,can they be retuned.👍👍
Laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and moan and your on your own...

wheels

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:31 PM »

Also add that a special pet hate of mine is the constant parking on the double yellow lines outside of the Golden Dragon on Hollins Lane. These people are seemingly incapable of parking in the Asda car park and crossing the road to get their takeaways. It causes constant issues for traffic and I have never known it to be policed.

Agree with you 100% also people parking in the same way outside Archers they just make it difficult and dangerous for people to cross the road.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »
Marple is a victim of geography (three roads in and out of the town towards where most people work) and being a nice place to live and bring up kids or retire to.

I see there being two ways to address the traffic situation, one tactical and within the purview of local and regional government. The other is strategic and requires a complete change in mindset from the population and led by central government.

Locally and regionally, we need to invest in mass transit to make it reliable, frequent and affordable. We need to give preference to mass transit over individually-owned vehicles and make public transport more appealing and more convenient. I know that's going to upset people who feel it their inalienable right to use their own car whenever they want, and politicians will be frightened of doing so, but the only way to get people off the roads is to give them a better alternative.

The second way requires a change in thinking. In my (probably completely inaccurate) estimate, I reckon that at least 40% of office jobs can be done remotely, at least some of the time. There are technologies that allow collaboration and communication to be done seamlessly from wherever you are in the world. I wish that the government hadn't invested in the massively expensive HS2 and instead used the billions to run fibre to every property in the country (and require new house-builders to do the same). With investment in virtual and augmented reality and research into collaboration technology, we could get a lot of people (knowledge workers, students, teachers etc) off the roads yet keep them productive. It also requires training for managers and owners to help them develop policies which allow their staff to benefit from remote working yet maintain productivity.

Yes, I understand that many jobs require a physical presence, but many don't, and a change in mindset and investment, would have a far more widely-reaching effect than just locally upgrading public transport.

Maybe I'm a pessimist (perhaps, pragmatist) but I can't really see anyone being brave enough to do either of these things properly.

I can't think of a better summary of the wider issues.

I would add wholehearted agreement that HS2 should be scrapped and work instead should be dedicated to restoring old railway lines that worked so well pre-Beeching, and new ones to cater for housing built since Beeching. Sadly the wholesale massacre of these routes did not protect them from being built over. Marple badly needs a rail link to Stockport and I am pleased to see Steve Gribbon taking up the baton for this.

Also add that a special pet hate of mine is the constant parking on the double yellow lines outside of the Golden Dragon on Hollins Lane. These people are seemingly incapable of parking in the Asda car park and crossing the road to get their takeaways. It causes constant issues for traffic and I have never known it to be policed.

jimblob

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 11:15:51 AM »
I think there is merit in both approaches, (as I write this I'm working at home) but that neither in isolation is the answer. In addition, a third stream to this is to simply alleviate the known problems we have at the moment which cause congestion, using some of the suggestions that have already been made. This is also where I feel our Councillors should be focusing their efforts and perhaps can bring about actual change: -
  • Make sure Stockport Highways "Improvements" actually DO improve traffic flow rather than restrict it. A simple change of strategy (and perhaps leadership!); spending the money we already seem to spend on making traffic flow rather than continually trying to stop it
  • Improve/widen junctions to remove bottlenecks (Torkington Road/A6 for example)
  • Use technology to improve traffic light phasing
  • Accept that the motor car is (at the moment at least) our primary option and therefore must not be penalized at the expense of walking/cycling/public transport ideals

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »
Marple is a victim of geography (three roads in and out of the town towards where most people work) and being a nice place to live and bring up kids or retire to.

I see there being two ways to address the traffic situation, one tactical and within the purview of local and regional government. The other is strategic and requires a complete change in mindset from the population and led by central government.

Locally and regionally, we need to invest in mass transit to make it reliable, frequent and affordable. We need to give preference to mass transit over individually-owned vehicles and make public transport more appealing and more convenient. I know that's going to upset people who feel it their inalienable right to use their own car whenever they want, and politicians will be frightened of doing so, but the only way to get people off the roads is to give them a better alternative.

The second way requires a change in thinking. In my (probably completely inaccurate) estimate, I reckon that at least 40% of office jobs can be done remotely, at least some of the time. There are technologies that allow collaboration and communication to be done seamlessly from wherever you are in the world. I wish that the government hadn't invested in the massively expensive HS2 and instead used the billions to run fibre to every property in the country (and require new house-builders to do the same). With investment in virtual and augmented reality and research into collaboration technology, we could get a lot of people (knowledge workers, students, teachers etc) off the roads yet keep them productive. It also requires training for managers and owners to help them develop policies which allow their staff to benefit from remote working yet maintain productivity.

Yes, I understand that many jobs require a physical presence, but many don't, and a change in mindset and investment, would have a far more widely-reaching effect than just locally upgrading public transport.

Maybe I'm a pessimist (perhaps, pragmatist) but I can't really see anyone being brave enough to do either of these things properly.
Howard

jimblob

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 09:08:13 AM »
OK, let's amuse ourselves doing that, but don't let's kid ourselves that introducing early morning buses on Sundays or limiting parking near schools is ever going to have a major impact on the shocking traffic congestion that we put up with round here - by which I mean between Marple and Hazel Grove, Offerton, Stockport and Bredbury.

Tackling that needs serious strategic thinking, not short-term sticking plaster measures.
well said, couldn't agree more.

Steve Gribbon

• Councillor Marple North
    • Follow me on Twitter sgribbonlibdems
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »
1) The school is there to educate children. Their responsibility stops at the school gates.
2) You don't think teachers have enough to do without acting as unpaid traffic enforcement officers?

Bring it to the attention of your local councillors and get them onto it.

I must confess I didn’t know this was an issue so thanks for bringing it up. I will get over in the next few days and see how bad it is. I get on well with a couple of staff members at MHS who I’ve met, I will have a chat with them about it too and see if anything has happened historically.

Steve

Councillor Marple North
Follow me on Twitter @sgribbonlibdems
Email: stevegribbonlibdems@gmail.com

andrewbowden

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
There are also issues with parking each time the school does an event for parents with little consideration given to local who need to park when they get home from work.   Maybe the school should only be allowed to have parent events at a location with enough parking for their customers or be required to limit the event size to the size of their own carpark.

Unless a street has parking restrictions, everyone has the right to park on the road.  Resident or visitor.  That's the way it is.  No one has the legal right to park outside, or near to their house on a public highway

Given how many school buses there are, I suspect parents picking children up are already in the minority.

Dave

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
Might I suggest we focus on smallish short term developments here rather than rerun the rail argument

OK, let's amuse ourselves doing that, but don't let's kid ourselves that introducing early morning buses on Sundays or limiting parking near schools is ever going to have a major impact on the shocking traffic congestion that we put up with round here - by which I mean between Marple and Hazel Grove, Offerton, Stockport and Bredbury.

Tackling that needs serious strategic thinking, not short-term sticking plaster measures.

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
There are often car parked in Claremont Av for Marple Hall School from about 2:30 with the engine left running collecting children that are clearly able to walk.     The school seems to make no effect to send out staff to stop it.

1) The school is there to educate children. Their responsibility stops at the school gates.
2) You don't think teachers have enough to do without acting as unpaid traffic enforcement officers?

Bring it to the attention of your local councillors and get them onto it.
Howard

ringi

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 05:27:40 PM »
There are often car parked in Claremont Av for Marple Hall School from about 2:30 with the engine left running collecting children that are clearly able to walk.     The school seems to make no effect to send out staff to stop it.

There are also issues with parking each time the school does an event for parents with little consideration given to local who need to park when they get home from work.   Maybe the school should only be allowed to have parent events at a location with enough parking for their customers or be required to limit the event size to the size of their own carpark.

If there was an Aldi in Marple I would not be driving down Dan's Bank as often, maybe use some of the land near Rosehill Station.