Myers Tree Care - Dedicated to Quality Tree Care

Author Topic: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?  (Read 1765 times)

corium

Re: Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 04:21:50 PM »
Why do we need early morning sunday service who would use it .

As I made clear, those trying to get to work for 0900 and yes there are people who are required to do this; there are two in my house alone. Yes I know Sunday isn't a busy day. But the challenge to us all was to think about low cost & simple solutions. It's nice to sit and fantasise about the minutiae of new metrolinks, tram/ trains or whatever in yet another thread (& who is going to use them early on a Sunday morning?) but the challenge as I remember it was to think about low cost, relatively easy to implement suggestions which metrolinks are not.  So what (recent) evidence is there that there is no demand in Marple when it seems to exist in other areas of Stockport? or Are we wasting money providing unused transport elsewhere in the borough on early Sunday mornings? These (& I'm sure there are others people could think of) are the sort of questions we should be asking ourselves.

I'm not wedded to Sunday morning buses, it was just an idea which came to me, but it seems to me these are the sort of questions we should be asking in response to this challenge and to pick up an earlier comment from (I think) Andrew, to expect people to walk to say Hazel Grove or Bredbury (or perhaps cycle all the way to Stockport), which are the nearest bus pick up points I spotted on the timetables before embarking on a public facing 8/ 10 hour shift presupposes the existence of workplace shower facilities at their place of work is probably not too realistic.

I would however hope that everybody & anybodys this thread would stimulate some ideas that might actually be delivered in the short term. Just putting our heads in sand and saying things won't work or that a metrolink will solve all our problems isn't going to take a single car off the roads or remove a single inconveniently parked car this decade. So what are we going to do?

amazon

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
This is the sort of defeatist thinking which ensures nothing in Marple ever changes. Have a look at the bus timetables into Stockport from other directions. Everywhere else seems (based on a quick browse through the major routes) into Stockport  to manage to have a service. Are Marple workers particularly lazy? How do they get in now?  By getting people to drive them, by paying for taxis out of their minimum wage earnings - and thus adding to the traffic everyone is moaning about. I don't know but how long was it since Marple had an early  Sunday service? Have things changed since then? This is why I suggest it's worth our elected reps at least  asking the question rather than just letting things drift along as at present. The thread has been started to promote suggestions for action, not be satisfied with the status quo.
Why do we need early morning sunday service who would use it .

andrewbowden

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
This is the sort of defeatist thinking which ensures nothing in Marple ever changes. Have a look at the bus timetables into Stockport from other directions. Everywhere else seems (based on a quick browse through the major routes) into Stockport  to manage to have a service. Are Marple workers particularly lazy? How do they get in now?  By getting people to drive them, by paying for taxis out of their minimum wage earnings - and thus adding to the traffic everyone is moaning about. I don't know but how long was it since Marple had an early  Sunday service? Have things changed since then? This is why I suggest it's worth our elected reps at least  asking the question rather than just letting things drift along as at present. The thread has been started to promote suggestions for action, not be satisfied with the status quo.

I like to think of myself as a realist not a defeatist.

And the realism is that - thanks to cuts in grants from Central Government - councils are having to make major cuts in all manor of things.  It was announced the other week that the gym in Marple pool will no longer be open at weekends, and yesterday Life Leisure are no longer going to open most of the leisure centres on bank holidays due to funding cuts.  It was announced today that Marple fire station is going to go from 12 firefighters on the overnight shift to 9, because of funding cuts.  Police officer numbers are down.  The council's consulted on reducing park and verge maintenance.  There's a school in Reddish right now planning to close at lunchtime on Fridays because it can't afford to stay open.  Marple bus routes 305, 303 and 304 bus routes have already been axed because Transport for Greater Manchester have decided not to subsidise them.

This is the climate we're in.  Councils are strangled of investment by central government.  That impacts us all on many levels.  And it means that quite probably there isn't the cash to spend subsidising bus routes at 7am on a Sunday morning.

And - if we're really brutally honest - the problems with traffic in this town aren't really first thing on a Sunday morning.

This morning the 383/384 buses were running with up to 30 minute delays.  Why?  Because of the even heavier than usual traffic on the roads.  Why?  Because it was raining.  Everyone raced to their cars and drove them.

So here's a thing that can reduce traffic and it costs absolutely nothing.  Walk even when it's raining.

But being a realist, I feel quite confident in saying that probably won't happen.

corium

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 10:47:09 AM »
There's no bus that early because Stagecoach don't see the demand for running one that early.  If they did, there would be one.

And therein your problem, and why even sorting out buses isn't a short term solution.  In every part of this country except Greater London, it's up to the bus companies to decide what services they want to run.  If they don't want to run a bus that gets in at Stockport for 9am, they won't run one.

Now Transport for Greater Manchester could subsidise Stagecoach to run those services.  They already subsidise 9 journeys a week on the 384 and 3 on the 383.  But they only have so much money.  If they subsidise more journeys on the 383 and 384, then that reduces the ability to subsidise other services.  What do you cut to add in that extra journey?

Even something that sounds simple, is not that simple.

amazon

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
Lights at the end of Torkington Rd and that ridiculous layout preventing people turning left because of the way the lanes are set out. Stockport Highways team at their best, but causing massive backing up, usually to way before Offerton Road in the mornings. You'd think anything to get people onto the new bypass more quickly would be a no brainer! Now that would be mitigation measures that SHOULD have been implemented, rather than using the money on speed tables along Windlehurst. Well done Stockport Highways :)
Bye pass Bredbury would  help .i had just left school when that was talked about im not saying how old i am now .

jimblob

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 08:45:03 AM »
Something as simple as installing the latest technology available for SMART traffic light management could help traffic flow. Especially Dan Bank / 17 windows junctions. Where it always appears the lights are fighting each other..
Lights at the end of Torkington Rd and that ridiculous layout preventing people turning left because of the way the lanes are set out. Stockport Highways team at their best, but causing massive backing up, usually to way before Offerton Road in the mornings. You'd think anything to get people onto the new bypass more quickly would be a no brainer! Now that would be mitigation measures that SHOULD have been implemented, rather than using the money on speed tables along Windlehurst. Well done Stockport Highways :)

andrewbowden

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »
Might I suggest we focus on smallish short term developments here rather than rerun the rail argument, as passionate as I know people are about it. It would be nice to see some suggestions that can potentially be delivered within say, the elected term of those elected to serve us at the next electionss. So another starter for 10, we want people to use public transport yet if you are someone who works in Stockport on a Sunday (& these will tend to be people on a minimum wage) why is there no bus service for say an 0900 start?

There's no bus that early because Stagecoach don't see the demand for running one that early.  If they did, there would be one.

And therein your problem, and why even sorting out buses isn't a short term solution.  In every part of this country except Greater London, it's up to the bus companies to decide what services they want to run.  If they don't want to run a bus that gets in at Stockport for 9am, they won't run one.

Now Transport for Greater Manchester could subsidise Stagecoach to run those services.  They already subsidise 9 journeys a week on the 384 and 3 on the 383.  But they only have so much money.  If they subsidise more journeys on the 383 and 384, then that reduces the ability to subsidise other services.  What do you cut to add in that extra journey?

Even something that sounds simple, is not that simple.

Jay

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
Something as simple as installing the latest technology available for SMART traffic light management could help traffic flow. Especially Dan Bank / 17 windows junctions. Where it always appears the lights are fighting each other..

Exactly the same problem on Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road, traffic lights fighting and backing up sometimes to Edwards Way!

PhilB

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »

amazon

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »
Might I suggest we focus on smallish short term developments here rather than rerun the rail argument, as passionate as I know people are about it. It would be nice to see some suggestions that can potentially be delivered within say, the elected term of those elected to serve us at the next electionss. So another starter for 10, we want people to use public transport yet if you are someone who works in Stockport on a Sunday (& these will tend to be people on a minimum wage) why is there no bus service for say an 0900 start?
Could it be that a lot of the stores what are left dont open till later .

corium

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »

Dave

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 05:21:44 PM »
Goodness where have you been all these month. Another sensible  positive voice returns.

Thanks wheels - nice to have a friendly welcome  :)

The big question about running a train to Stockport is whether there is capacity at Stockport station to take extra trains.  Stockport station is busy with lots of through trains.  There's only one platform for terminating trains, and whilst it is rarely used, the big question is can you get trains into it without causing problems for other services.

I don't have the answers to this, but train routing and station capacity is a very complex issue.  It isn't just as simple as connecting the lines.  There's a lot more to it.

I'm sure that's so, Andrew. But where there's a will there is often a way........ And an obvious possible solution would be to open up the former bay platform at the north end of what are now platforms 1 and 2.

A Metrolink connection using train-trams and a separate station could be an option though.

Indeed, but it's really important, IMO, to provide a direct link in to mainline train services at Stockport - that will surely be one of the main reasons for anyone using a new rail connection from Marple, Romiley and Bredbury.

andrewbowden

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
The big question about running a train to Stockport is whether there is capacity at Stockport station to take extra trains.  Stockport station is busy with lots of through trains.  There's only one platform for terminating trains, and whilst it is rarely used, the big question is can you get trains into it without causing problems for other services.

I don't have the answers to this, but train routing and station capacity is a very complex issue.  It isn't just as simple as connecting the lines.  There's a lot more to it.

A Metrolink connection using train-trams and a separate station could be an option though

wheels

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
Goodness where have you been all these month. Another sensible  positive voice returns.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
Steve, I clicked that link to the Area Committee, and I was impressed with what you had to say about the need for a rail link to Stockport, and the conviction with which you said it.

Traffic congestion at peak times on Dan Bank, Torkington Road, Dooley Lane, Bents Lane, Marple Road Offerton, are long-standing problems which we have all agonised about for so long, and there is no easy solution.  If there were such a solution we would have found it by now!

But a rail link (whether tram, tram-train or heavy rail) would undoubtedly go some way to alleviate the problem. And I believe it could be possible, by connecting the Marple to Manchester line at Reddish Vale with the Guide Bridge to Stockport line. 

A sample timing, derived from the actual times of current trains, works out like this:

Marple/ Rose Hill  08.00
Romiley               08.05
Bredbury             08.08
Brinnington          08.11
Reddish South      08.15
Stockport             08.20

20 minutes from Marple to Stockport (and vice versa) at any time of day.  And as the above sample shows, it provides excellent new connections for other parts of east Stockport too.   And a proper train service at Reddish South as well, at last!

Steve, if you can persuade tfgm and SMBC to conduct a feasibility study into such a scheme that would be a great step forward.