Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Iron Bridge Cottage  (Read 2666 times)

ironbridgecottage

Iron Bridge Cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:18:06 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. I plan to move into the cottage full time as soon as it is habitable; currently I sleep over as and when I am working on it. New floors are nearly in now and all the internal structural work is complete.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Iron Bridge Cottage
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 08:17:27 PM »
Thank you for posting your message here and welcome to the Marple Website Forum and Notice Board. With our long running campaign to restore the Iron Bridge it feels like we are almost neighbours, and we look forward to meeting you properly in the future.

There have been discussions in the forum on the fate of Iron Bridge Cottage before and here's a link to the old topic.

I must admit that, as you can see from the old postings, we would have liked the council to have purchased the cottage and did suggest it to them. However, as they didn't have the courage or foresight to do so, I wish you good luck in your efforts to return the cottage to suitable condition.

Is it your intention to live in it simply as a home, or do you have any other plans for it that you are prepared to share at this time?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

ironbridgecottage

Iron Bridge Cottage
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 04:35:42 PM »
This is just a courtesy note to update people. As the owner of the property I have had many people offering suggestions and advice ( some good- some not ) about whether the above was listed and renovations being made to it. I do have written confirmation from SMBC that the building is not listed and all works are present are correct.If anyone wishes to talk this through, please let me know since I am aware that rumour is sometimes damaging. If it helps, the roof was held up by damp ( structural report available ) and the whole building was in danger due to the load bearing of the stone parapet,phineal and previous internal changes on the walls. Sadly this coupled with the vandalism, fires and window smashing that the property continues to suffer from has meant that for this year, the external priority was to seal it for the winter;this is nearly complete. I have obtained copies of how the building used to look (pre render) and hope to get it back to that beauty at some point; stone has also been stored in case I can reinstate it via roof with pinning. For the animal lovers out there, the crayfish in the river are plentiful and amazingingly common which may explain the kingfishers nesting in the bank next to the bridge. There have been 4 otter sightings and dippers nesting in the bank wall just the other side of the house. Wagtails are present in one of the stone gate posts and the only unwelcome visitor is mink. As for me, well I lived in one of the cottages in etherow country park for 7 years; was the chair of the parish council there for some time and have already met council reps in order to determine ways that the park may be improved for all.