Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Re: The Hollins mosaics  (Read 1492 times)

amazon

Re: The Hollins mosaics
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:13 PM »
Thanks Admin - that's a more helpful answer than the previous one. Hopkins probably cropped up as an autocorrect of Hollins and I missed it when posting
Who is responsible for the upkeep of of it theres one or two places that need Grouting .

Dudleian

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »
Thanks Admin - that's a more helpful answer than the previous one. Hopkins probably cropped up as an autocorrect of Hollins and I missed it when posting

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
The words around the outside of the mosaics are quite helpful in identifying what they depict actually.

The first one with the text "Marple, The stream at the boundary - Merpel - Forged through the ages" depicts a fossil and represents the origins of the name Marple.

Read more here: https://www.marple.website/local-history/a-brief-history-of-marple.html

The next one with the text "1790 Industrial Transformation Samuel Oldknows Mill by the River Goyt" is the most self-explanatory. This mosaic depicts a Mill, a Water Wheel, a Viaduct and water and is obviously referring to Samuel Oldknow's Mellor Mill constructed in 1790 down at what is now called Roman Lakes.

The third one with the text "Years working away towards a prosperous tomorrow" depicts two hawks of some kind plus four birds. I would think that this is a nod to Hawk Green being part of Marple but cannot be sure what was in the minds of the students from the Ridge College who designed all 3 of the mosaics.

They were installed by Marple Civic Society and the Council as part of a Millennium project that pre-dates the formation of the "Marple Regeneration Partnership" a community group that ran for several years in the 2000s. The Marple Website was part of this partnership and provided the group with its own web site, which is still available on-line tucked away here: http://www.marple-uk.com/mcrp/index.htm

I'm not sure why you refer to them as the Hopkins mosaics in the title of this thread though @Dudleian 

I have asked MCS if they can provide any more background information.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »
I asked this question on the Marple Community Hub Facebook page and didn't get an answer - can anyone tell me what the round mosaics on the pavement of the Hollins shops depict?
If you spend a little time reading the words you would have an answer

Dudleian

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »
I asked this question on the Marple Community Hub Facebook page and didn't get an answer - can anyone tell me what the round mosaics on the pavement of the Hollins shops depict?